Notification

Error

Prostate Cancer & Bladder Cancer

User
Posted 03 Feb 2015 at 15:02

Hi,

Im new to this.

My husband has just turned 60 in January'15,

He has had bladder cancer on/off for 15yrs and been treated with BCG Vaccine which has kept it in the bladder, now on 10th Dec'14 was diagnosed with Prostate cancer his 1st PSA was 9 then 2 days later 9.8 he has had biopsies & MRI scan done which showed he has a Gleason score of 3+3=6 and T2 graded.  In January 2015 had another PSA blood test and nurse called yesterday to say it has risen to 12.8 that is approx 2 months since last PSA, he is due to go in for another Cystoscopy for Bladder on 13th Feb'15 and they said they will talk to him then regarding where we go from here with the results of Bladder.

When he was 1st diagnosed with PC in December we agreed with the consultants to opt for active surveillance as they did not recommend any treatment due to the bladder cancer, it would cause a lot of complications if they treated the Prostate as they needed to go through the prostate to check bladder (very confusing), they said if the bladder cancer returns then they would suggest removing both the bladder & prostate at the same time.

Also had a heart attack in November last year, had stents put in and also another heart problem in January'15 which more stents put in another artery. And diabetes type 2 insulin

Just wanted to know if there is anyone that has had both cancers and what their story is please.

User
Posted 03 Feb 2015 at 18:39

Hi, we have a couple of members whose bladder cancer was diagnosed after the prostate cancer. I have a friend who like your OH has had bladder cancer for many years and was diagnosed with prostate cancer 2 years ago - he did some research and then opted for active surveillance so both cancers are now monitored by the same oncologist. So far, it has been the right decision for him although he understands that if the prostate cancer got worse, his best option would probably be hormone treatment so that the bladder treatment is not affected.

Edited by member 03 Feb 2015 at 18:40  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 03 Feb 2015 at 19:00
Thank you for your response Lyn I can suggest that on his next appt. kind regards Sylvie
User
Posted 06 Feb 2015 at 14:10
Hi,
I have only just picked up you post- I've been preoccupied with my second diagnosis, the opposite way round to you. Prostate cancer in July 2014 and bladder cancer in December 2014 - not a good year for me! I also have heart failure. I am due to have my bladder resection next Wednesday so a bit anxious about that, then it is the wait for staging and grading. My prostate cancer was assessed as localised high risk. I was advised not to have a prostatectomy because of my heart health and because of the risk of spread of the cancer. Have been on hormone therapy since August and was expecting to plan for radiotherapy when I saw my oncologist in January. However, he said we would have to postpone radiotherapy until the bladder cancer was dealt with. If the BC turns out to be invasive ( hopefully it won't be) we did discuss the possibility of having radiotherapy for both at the same time. So it's a waiting game now.

Hope things work out for you.

Best wishes
Michael
User
Posted 17 Feb 2015 at 14:23

Hi Benjo
Hope all goes well for you, my husband has just had Cystoscopy to check bladder cancer and still clear at present since last BCG treatment (has had bladder cancer for 16yrs) it has reoccurred 3 times in 16yrs..Prostate cancer PSA is now 12.5 and wants to keep him on active surveillance for another 3 months then will check PSA again and in 6 months will check bladder cancer with another Cystoscopy.. I hope we are following the right treatment..