I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Any advice ?

User
Posted 14 Feb 2015 at 11:16
I am very new to this site. My husband was diagnosed one and a half years ago. Managed to reduce PSA by Cyprostat .after 27 days unbearable side effects so went into watchful waiting . pSA6. Then after 3months 20 then after 6months 40!!
Saw urologist and agreed to give the tablets another try. Phoned this site and surprised to find such helpful info. Got the impression from the urologist that it seemed a do it yourself job!,, have made an appointment to see oncologist this Monday to see if injections may be possible and more tolerable? At this moment he is T3 but is expecting a bone scan within the next weeks after seeing if the tabs reduce his PSA within a 6 week period. We shall see what the oncologist has to say. Interested in the effects of the injections against tabs? Anyone experienced this ? I understand everyone is different.
So grateful for anything / in a very lonely place at the moment.
Sincerely Olive.
User
Posted 14 Feb 2015 at 16:26

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Sincerely Olive.

Hi Olive,

My experience of PCa is thankfully very limited so I can not offer any advice on your OH's situation, but, you are not alone, he is  not alone. You can post anything anytime here, a question, a rant a  moan, whatever.  And someone will be there for you.

atb

dave

User
Posted 14 Feb 2015 at 19:50

Hi Olive

I think that once you have got a bit more information on Monday, that you will be able to 'plan' better some treatment for your husband.

I believe that there are alternatives to the drug that he was on, which may cause less side effects, as mentioned by Lyn.

I hope that the appointment goes well and you get some answers.

I think that everyone on this forum will understand the 'loneliness' that you are feeling at this time - and want to help if they can.

Let us know how you get on and I am sure that experienced members will be able to offer some further advice.

Best wishes

Alison

Edited by member 14 Feb 2015 at 19:52  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 14 Feb 2015 at 20:19

Just wanted to welcome you Olive and repeat the "You are not alone" mantra.

You want to ask a question - go ahead

You want to rant - go ahead

You want a virtual shoulder to lean on - you've got it.

All the best
Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 17 Feb 2015 at 19:45

Glad to hear that the Onco has been able to reassure you both a little, Olive.

Let us know how you get on in 5 weeks time.

All the best

Alison

User
Posted 17 Feb 2015 at 19:50

Keep in touch, Olive. Remember you are not alone and people on this site will be only too happy to offer support and advice,

Fiona.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 14 Feb 2015 at 12:59

Hi Olive,
Cyprostat is an anti-androgen which means that it stops the cancer from recognising the testosterone so the cancer starves. The hormones given by injection are LHRH which work completely differently - they actually stop the body from producing testosterone rather than just disguising it.

It does seem that your husband's PSA rise was very quick while not on treatment - a doubling time of 3 months is sufficiently concerning for the urologist NOT to be relaxed about. Hopefully the oncologist will be able to give you some clear treatment plan on Monday

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 14 Feb 2015 at 16:06
Thankyou lyneyre it's lovely to know someone is out there taking trouble to answer me in such a short while. I will post when we have seen the oncologist on Monday.
Thank you'
User
Posted 14 Feb 2015 at 16:26

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Sincerely Olive.

Hi Olive,

My experience of PCa is thankfully very limited so I can not offer any advice on your OH's situation, but, you are not alone, he is  not alone. You can post anything anytime here, a question, a rant a  moan, whatever.  And someone will be there for you.

atb

dave

User
Posted 14 Feb 2015 at 19:50

Hi Olive

I think that once you have got a bit more information on Monday, that you will be able to 'plan' better some treatment for your husband.

I believe that there are alternatives to the drug that he was on, which may cause less side effects, as mentioned by Lyn.

I hope that the appointment goes well and you get some answers.

I think that everyone on this forum will understand the 'loneliness' that you are feeling at this time - and want to help if they can.

Let us know how you get on and I am sure that experienced members will be able to offer some further advice.

Best wishes

Alison

Edited by member 14 Feb 2015 at 19:52  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 14 Feb 2015 at 20:19

Just wanted to welcome you Olive and repeat the "You are not alone" mantra.

You want to ask a question - go ahead

You want to rant - go ahead

You want a virtual shoulder to lean on - you've got it.

All the best
Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 17 Feb 2015 at 17:42

We saw the oncologist last night. Because I had had a conversation with the nurse on this site we were able to speak sensibly to him. Tablets and injections were discussed and as at this moment in time my OH is able to tolerate the tablets staying on these with another PSA in around 5 weeks then seeing the urologist for update. Feel much better with the knowledge that there are all of you around. Also the oncologist was a little reassuring in saying that usually these tumors are slow growing!! Obviously we can only hope. So the journey continues.
Whilst writing I perhaps should mention that this is our second journey - some 10.5 years ago OH had cancer of larynx fortunately it was Very early and was dealt with op and radiotherapy . Not easy but hey still alive!
Yes! Life can be a nightmare so keep up the good work everyone your support is so so comforting.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart,
Olive

User
Posted 17 Feb 2015 at 19:45

Glad to hear that the Onco has been able to reassure you both a little, Olive.

Let us know how you get on in 5 weeks time.

All the best

Alison

User
Posted 17 Feb 2015 at 19:50

Keep in touch, Olive. Remember you are not alone and people on this site will be only too happy to offer support and advice,

Fiona.

User
Posted 19 Mar 2015 at 11:58

Hello, Olive.

Really feel for you and your OH. 

it's all such unknown territory at times, and so worrying when you are not sure what works best etc. My husband was diagnosed in October '14 and is just starting HT. He is already finding the fatigue very difficult. They wanted him to be on HT for 3 years if he can tolerate it, so I just hope he can. So I know what it's like when you feel things aren't working and you feel a bit helpless... from what I have already seen, the people here are very supportive and have lots of tips and experience to pass on.

Keep chatting and posting.

Blessings xx

'Sorrow looks back, worry looks around, but faith looks up'