I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Has anyone been diagnosed with a low PSA?

User
Posted 16 Feb 2015 at 07:40
Hi All,

My husband is having a Template Biopsy on 5th March, his PSA is 3.5 and he is 46 years old. He still has at times severe lower back pain and pain I'm his thighs as well as ED I am really worried it might be more aggressive than we think if they find PC but the PSA is not terribly high? Has anyone been diagnosed with a PSA this low?

Thanks,

Trish

User
Posted 16 Feb 2015 at 10:30

Hello there

My OH was diagnosed with cancer with a PSA of 3.6, as it is not always a reliable indicator.

You can only really get a true reflection of this disease after you have had all of the tests, and I see your OH has the template biopsy booked, which is good news, so that you can find out exactly what you are dealing with, and get the right treatment sorted out.

This waiting is a very difficult time when you are bound to fear the worst. The only thing that you can do is wait through it.

I am sorry that I have no magic advice to make you feel better, but you and your OH are doing something about the symptoms, getting them checked out, which is a good start, and may not be PCa at all.

I hope that things work out okay.

All the best.

Alison

Edited by member 16 Feb 2015 at 10:35  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 16 Feb 2015 at 13:01

Hi,

As others have said, it's always a stressful time waiting for results etc. ( we have all been there )

You and hubby are doing the right thing by having this investigated, but please keep in mind that a slightly raised PSA can be caused by a number of things, and may not necessarily be PCa 

Early detection ( if results are positive ) will give a much better chance of a successful outcome if treatment is recommended.
Hopefully that won't be necessary. 

Best Wishes

Luther

User
Posted 16 Feb 2015 at 13:09

Hi Trish.

Sorry to hear that you and your OH are having a worrying time and fingers crossed that you get a quick diagnosis so you can both see what you are looking at.

I was also having back and leg pains last year when I went to see my doctor who suggested some blood tests. My PSA came back at 4.1, I was 51 at the time. Although diagnosed with PCa, I had my prostate removed in Oct last year and am awaiting results of three months post op PSA. Fortunately the back and leg pain in my case were a complete coincidence it would seem, as my body and other scans showed clear of cancer anywhere else.

Its easy to sit here and say don't worry, but I think both I and my OH know exactly how you are feeling. Fingers crossed for you both.

Trevor

User
Posted 16 Feb 2015 at 14:11

My PSA was 2.01 when I was diagnosed.  So low PSA in some cases means little.

User
Posted 16 Feb 2015 at 15:44

Hi Trish,

My husband was diagnosed around this time last year. His PSA was very low at just 1:2 with a Gleason score of 6.

I would agree with you, the waiting for results is awful. Hopefully you'll get some answers soon.

Jane x

User
Posted 16 Feb 2015 at 15:50

Hi Trish

I scored 4+4 after the biopsies were taken all of the cancer being in the left side of the prostate. This was revised after removal with the histology to 3+4. At the same time I also only had a PSA of .01 so things really do look quite good for the foreseeable future.

Trevor

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 16 Feb 2015 at 10:30

Hello there

My OH was diagnosed with cancer with a PSA of 3.6, as it is not always a reliable indicator.

You can only really get a true reflection of this disease after you have had all of the tests, and I see your OH has the template biopsy booked, which is good news, so that you can find out exactly what you are dealing with, and get the right treatment sorted out.

This waiting is a very difficult time when you are bound to fear the worst. The only thing that you can do is wait through it.

I am sorry that I have no magic advice to make you feel better, but you and your OH are doing something about the symptoms, getting them checked out, which is a good start, and may not be PCa at all.

I hope that things work out okay.

All the best.

Alison

Edited by member 16 Feb 2015 at 10:35  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 16 Feb 2015 at 11:01

The psa is just one of the factors in Pca. My OH also has a low psa for his age. 2.3 and aged 73. It appears that his Cancer is one that does not produce much psa. Your husbands symptoms could be caused by a lot of non serious conditions. You are doing the best you can by checking everything out.. The uncertainty of waiting for tests is very stressful. Try to stay positive until you know for sure that something is amiss. Georgina

User
Posted 16 Feb 2015 at 12:26
Thanks so much Georgina and Alison, yes I do think it's the waiting that is making me more nervous we already have 12th March booked for biopsy results so that will be D Day.
User
Posted 16 Feb 2015 at 13:01

Hi,

As others have said, it's always a stressful time waiting for results etc. ( we have all been there )

You and hubby are doing the right thing by having this investigated, but please keep in mind that a slightly raised PSA can be caused by a number of things, and may not necessarily be PCa 

Early detection ( if results are positive ) will give a much better chance of a successful outcome if treatment is recommended.
Hopefully that won't be necessary. 

Best Wishes

Luther

User
Posted 16 Feb 2015 at 13:09

Hi Trish.

Sorry to hear that you and your OH are having a worrying time and fingers crossed that you get a quick diagnosis so you can both see what you are looking at.

I was also having back and leg pains last year when I went to see my doctor who suggested some blood tests. My PSA came back at 4.1, I was 51 at the time. Although diagnosed with PCa, I had my prostate removed in Oct last year and am awaiting results of three months post op PSA. Fortunately the back and leg pain in my case were a complete coincidence it would seem, as my body and other scans showed clear of cancer anywhere else.

Its easy to sit here and say don't worry, but I think both I and my OH know exactly how you are feeling. Fingers crossed for you both.

Trevor

User
Posted 16 Feb 2015 at 13:42

Luther,

Thanks and yes we are hoping that if there is anything that its caught early and he can get the right treatment.

Trevor,

Thanks for your message, I will show this to my husband as he is particularly worried about the pain and if that means it may have spread. I am hoping that as the PSA is 3.5 that this is not the case. By the way what was your Gleeson score at diagnosis?

Many thanks,

Trish

User
Posted 16 Feb 2015 at 14:11

My PSA was 2.01 when I was diagnosed.  So low PSA in some cases means little.

User
Posted 16 Feb 2015 at 15:44

Hi Trish,

My husband was diagnosed around this time last year. His PSA was very low at just 1:2 with a Gleason score of 6.

I would agree with you, the waiting for results is awful. Hopefully you'll get some answers soon.

Jane x

User
Posted 16 Feb 2015 at 15:50

Hi Trish

I scored 4+4 after the biopsies were taken all of the cancer being in the left side of the prostate. This was revised after removal with the histology to 3+4. At the same time I also only had a PSA of .01 so things really do look quite good for the foreseeable future.

Trevor

User
Posted 16 Feb 2015 at 16:05

Thanks Jane and Trevor xx

User
Posted 16 Feb 2015 at 18:30

Trish and others.
I agree, the PSA itself is not a true indicator.
I had 2 mri's, the second highlighted potential Gleason 3+4 or 3+3. My normal Urologist recommended Template Guided, however, the MRI was more focusing on Inflammation with "maybe" masked Gleason.
My PSA has been stable from 2011 to now but all average 4 within testing range. Doubling was 0.3 or 6.5 years. Size of Gland was 27cm in 2011 now 35cm. So I arranged to have 2nd opinion from the Urologist at the MRI centre....very informative and took long time to explain plus he explained the MRI on screen.
HE said that the MRI 2011 and 2015 showed the same area, but the definition was clearer which he explained was more due to hydration and that the Contrast can define more. He actually thinks it is more inflammation and supports more investigation, so he suggest anti biopics etc for 1 month then test. Templated biopsy is just another name for saturation...in other words they got better chance to find if any cancer present, so it gives less false negatives.
I also had PCA3 and PHI. Even the lower PSAf was consistent and the density is better.
The problem as mentioned that they can find even a small amount, but then most people live with this there entire life, so damed if you do and damed if not. The benefit is they are advancing and also you wish to find fast growing as the long term forecast is good for most. Keep chin up as we all in same boat. Dean

User
Posted 16 Feb 2015 at 18:35
Thanks so much Dean for your detailed explanation, let's hope both you and my husband get good news eventually.

Best wishes,

Trish