I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

MRI scan, advice, unsure what stage - Scans (CT / MRI / Bone scan),family

User
Posted 16 Feb 2015 at 19:31

Hi, I'm new to this site, I've used sites like these in the past and found the forums to be extremely useful. Both to find and give information, as well as to get a feeling of support.

I'm writing because my Dad most likely has Prostate cancer. He's always been a very closed person, and I know he finds it very difficult to talk about this to me. He prefers to hide his emotions. The only real information I'm getting is brief conversations with my mum (who knows equally as little as me) and reading letters from the hospital sent to my dad. Coming from a very small family, (well, even if I wasn't) I feel it is very important for me to help my dad as much as possible through this, and I guess with that, first comes understanding.

Last February my Dad had a very high PSA reading, this led to further PSA tests and a biopsy. The Biopsy came back ok, but because of the high reading they wanted to do more tests. In September, he had another PSA test. This showed that it had risen (I can't remember the exact reading, but it was 2.5 or so higher than the previous). The Doctors wanted to send him straight for MRI but he refused, he has a big fear of this and is very claustrophobic. The doctors agreed to retest in December and go from there. The test again showed rising PSA, so he now has a MRI booked for 2 weeks time. 

Knowing that my dad is very scared about this, I was wondering if anyone could provide me with any advice that I could give to him? I've looked up and some sites mention bringing a CD with you. I know this would help my dad a lot, I was wondering if anyone knew how common it was to allow this? If anyone has any other tips to help my dad in this experience, it would be very appreciated.

I also just want a clearer understanding of what the MRI test is for. My understanding is that this generally comes after a diagnosis of Prostate Cancer- but my dad's biopsy was negative and he hasn't been given a formal diagnosis of it before? Is there a chance then that he doesn't have cancer? I know noone can officially answer this.. I just wanted to know if anyone can give me more info about the MRI scan.

Thanks!

User
Posted 16 Feb 2015 at 22:45

I understand a standard MRI scan may not pick up PCa, in many situations unless the prostate capsule is extended. However, when the MRI scan is done together with an MRI Spectroscopy, the latter does allow chemical signatures of cancer cells to be identified. An MRI scan plus MRI Spectroscopy is far superior to an ordinary MRI scan and may obviate the need for needle biopsies in future, I gather?
I don't know if this is the same as multi-parametric MRI.

My diagnosis of PCa has been produced purely on the histology of a sample taken during a TURP procedure together with a combined MRI scan plus MRI Spectroscopy (overall that took an hour). I have not had a needle biopsy and am being treated now with 7 months HT then RT.

User
Posted 16 Feb 2015 at 22:56

Hi mgw92, welcome to the site.

I'm no expert on the different processes the different trusts use, but for what it's worth I had my MRI before my biopsies and prior to being informed I have PCa. From the little I know I believe the MRI will hopefully show up any suspicious looking abnormalities in the prostate, especially as the biopsies were inconclusive.

With regards to helping cope with the confined space of the MRI unit, it is possible to get some hospitals to play music of your own choice, but again I'm not sure about the procedures of other hospitals. To try and reassure a little more I also don't recall actually going all of the way into the scanner when I had mine, I seem to recall my shoulders up being outside the unit.

I hope this helps and wish you and yours the very best.

Trevor

User
Posted 16 Feb 2015 at 23:47

The MRI scanner is essentially a very powerful magnate that generates a series of very strange and varying noises during a scan. In order to reduce the sound volume the patient is fitted with ear mufflers through which the patient's own music (from CD) or provided music can be played, though some of the noise still seems to get through in my experience (I have lost count of how many MRI scans I have had but it must be 9 or 10 with another booked for next month). There is no pain but you can feel some slight vibration, particularly if the more powerful 3 Tesla machine is used rather than the more usual 1.5 one. Sometimes, what can be called 'Contrast' is injected into the patient at some point during the scan but this is not very painful. There are also other refinements that are sometimes used in certain situations. The table on which you lay moves you into the scanner and air is circulated round your head as you move forwards and backwards. I just close my eyes and relax. This works for me and I have no feeling of claustrophobia - worth a try.

Barry
User
Posted 17 Feb 2015 at 00:04

I wonder if they are offering MRI because dad has refused to have another biopsy? Or they may be doing the scan to help them determine the best areas to take biopsies. You say the PSA was very high but that means different things to different people and a rise of 2.5 could actually be insignificant in the bigger picture - when you say 'very high' are you talking around 10, in the hundreds or in the thousands? Even if you can't remember the exact numbers, anything you can remember will help us to help you.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 17 Feb 2015 at 04:45

MGW92
As mentioned rising PSA can mean many things....the concern is continuing rising or doubling. He should alas see and ask for his PSA Free Total as if lower than 15% i.e. 0.15 then this can also indicate. PSA rising can also be inflammation. The problem with TRUS biopsy is that it is hit and miss as many people can have them many times without finding PCa but then they find it by trial and error. So, the MRI, which I have had 2, can define whether there is PCa for sure or whether he may have inflammation which also can mask PCa as the die contrast so exist. They will treat inflammation first then MRI. IF still there then they can do what is called a MRI Targeted Template Biopsy which is general anaesthetic in which the biopsy targets the area from MRI. Its a better method and more precise.
Sorry its a complex science. Most men have PCa but also most men die without even knowing nor they get full PCa, the problem is this knowing whether its aggressive or not, as the cure rate is good, then bad is knowing you have a little or very small, as then what? whether you sit and wait or have one of many treatments. Better technology can mean bette future. I had inflammation and 2 MRIs but no biopsy, so now having medicine to reduce inflammation then another MRI before any biopsy, but my PSA is NOT rising and stable thus more investigation. As Lyn says some people with very low PSA e 1.0 or 2.0 can have PCa but then others with above 10 can not....this is the main confusion. Most sites like this or www.yananow.com are all people with PCa or just diagnosed but only a few worried or in the grey zone..ie not yet diagnosed, so this will also make worry. Happy for him to PM me or chat. There is also a member called Rogcal he is like your dad with 2 biopsy and no PCa, you can PM him also or read his profile, but both of us we can be contacted and called for chat as Rogcal was helpful for me also. Dean

User
Posted 17 Feb 2015 at 07:56

Hi MGW92

An MRI scan may be used to identify areas of cancer prior to a biopsy to improve accuracy of the biopsy. The scan may also be used after a biopsy but before a treatment plan is set up to assess the extent of any spread.

Having an MRI scan may be a difficult experience for some men or even perhaps many. If this causes someone to refuse an MRI scan he could be sedated for the procedure. Alternatively, ask your medics if they have access to an "open" MRI scanner, An "open" scanner has one side partly open so you are not completely confined in the scanner. If there is not an NHS open scanner in the area ask if they will pay for open MRI scans to be carried out in a private clinic. I know that some Radiological Departments have arrangement with private clinics and outsource MRI scans. If all of this fails there is the option of travelling to the nearest open scanner. Your medics may need to clear this in principle.

There are MRI scanners where you sit down in an open unit for the scan, but this may not be appropriate for prostate cancer.

If all of this fails have a word with your local rugby club. They will have many big guys who need MRI scans and will be able to tell you where you to find an MRI scanner in which your Dad may feel comfortable.

I hope this helps.

Alan

User
Posted 11 Apr 2015 at 13:45

MRI stands for Magnetic Resonance Imaging, a test which uses a magnetic field and radio wave energy pulses to create images of internal body structure. This test provides more detailed view than an X-ray, ultrasound, or computed tomography (CT) scan. For the test, your body is placed inside a special medical device machine which has strong magnet. MRI scan images remain digital which are stored on a computer for detail study. It is done for many reasons like to find tumors, bleeding, diseases or infection and more. In prostate cancer patients, it has been used to do prostate examination and nearby lymph nodes for identifying difference between benign (noncancerous) and malignant (cancerous) areas. It is a safe test and there is no risk involved if safety guidelines are followed.

Edited by moderator 11 Apr 2015 at 21:31  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 11 Apr 2015 at 18:26

Moderators - my report tab is not working but I believe the above post is spam - the link goes to a Chinese / far eastern website.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 11 Apr 2015 at 18:56

Reporting leads to a file 404 error message.

Suffice to say the link is to something that does not appear to be relevant.

dave 

User
Posted 11 Apr 2015 at 20:47

I have reported it, button seems to be working now.