I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

First PSA after Radiotherapy what should it be?

User
Posted 24 Feb 2015 at 15:58

Hi Everyone

I finished my 37 sessions of radiotherapy at the end of January and have just had my first PSA test back with a reading of 0.1 

Obviously its better than the 9.8 that I had pre treatment but am I right in assuming that a reading at this rate means the cancer is still detectable and is probably only going to go in one direction?

User
Posted 24 Feb 2015 at 16:23

Hi TMAC,

I think you are suggesting that the PSA can only increase but I don't think you are correct in that assumption if my own experience is anything to go by.

My PSA when I was diagnosed in 2009 was 12.2 ng/ml. I had one year of Zoladex followed by radiotherapy. My first PSA one month after the radiotherapy was 0.07 ng/ml. I continued for another two years on Zoladex which I finished in March 2012 by which time it was <0.04 ng/ml. It has increased since then but hopefully has plateaued around 0.5 ng/ml.

At the time I stopped the Zoladex I was told that the PSA and testosterone would both increase but should level out as seems to be the case.

I hope that you have the same or even better experience.

User
Posted 24 Feb 2015 at 16:27

Hi TMAC,

I'm no expert and took a different initial treatment path.

You still have a prostate and so it will still be producing PSA to some degree.
I doubt your RT has had time to do it's job yet. As I understand things it can be up to 2 years to reach nadir? 

Someone with far more knowledge on the subject will be along shortly to help you I'm sure.

Best Wishes
Luther

User
Posted 24 Feb 2015 at 18:49

TMAC, don't compare yourself with men that have had their prostate removed - different ball game entirely! As already said, you should expect to get your lowest reading somewhere around 18 months to 2 years after the RT although hormone treatment can make a difference - if on HT now which continued for say 12 months, then you would probably see a rise in PSA once the hormones are out of your system. If you have had RT without hormones then your PSA would be higher at this stage than the man next to you that has had HT.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 24 Feb 2015 at 21:00

TMAC,

I note from your Profile Bio that you started HT last August and although no intermediate PSA readings are shown, it is most likely that the major reduction shown in PSA now is attributable to the HT. HT reduced my PSA from 17.6 to 1.5 in just a few months. Immediately Post RT the figure was 1 and then progressively dropped to 0.05, my NADIR) over about 2 years as RT worked over this period. So your figure of 1 at this stage is not unusual. HT can still play a part also if you are still on it post RT.

Barry
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 24 Feb 2015 at 16:23

Hi TMAC,

I think you are suggesting that the PSA can only increase but I don't think you are correct in that assumption if my own experience is anything to go by.

My PSA when I was diagnosed in 2009 was 12.2 ng/ml. I had one year of Zoladex followed by radiotherapy. My first PSA one month after the radiotherapy was 0.07 ng/ml. I continued for another two years on Zoladex which I finished in March 2012 by which time it was <0.04 ng/ml. It has increased since then but hopefully has plateaued around 0.5 ng/ml.

At the time I stopped the Zoladex I was told that the PSA and testosterone would both increase but should level out as seems to be the case.

I hope that you have the same or even better experience.

User
Posted 24 Feb 2015 at 16:27

Hi TMAC,

I'm no expert and took a different initial treatment path.

You still have a prostate and so it will still be producing PSA to some degree.
I doubt your RT has had time to do it's job yet. As I understand things it can be up to 2 years to reach nadir? 

Someone with far more knowledge on the subject will be along shortly to help you I'm sure.

Best Wishes
Luther

User
Posted 24 Feb 2015 at 18:49

TMAC, don't compare yourself with men that have had their prostate removed - different ball game entirely! As already said, you should expect to get your lowest reading somewhere around 18 months to 2 years after the RT although hormone treatment can make a difference - if on HT now which continued for say 12 months, then you would probably see a rise in PSA once the hormones are out of your system. If you have had RT without hormones then your PSA would be higher at this stage than the man next to you that has had HT.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 24 Feb 2015 at 21:00

TMAC,

I note from your Profile Bio that you started HT last August and although no intermediate PSA readings are shown, it is most likely that the major reduction shown in PSA now is attributable to the HT. HT reduced my PSA from 17.6 to 1.5 in just a few months. Immediately Post RT the figure was 1 and then progressively dropped to 0.05, my NADIR) over about 2 years as RT worked over this period. So your figure of 1 at this stage is not unusual. HT can still play a part also if you are still on it post RT.

Barry