Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Decisions, Decisions...

User
Posted 02 Mar 2015 at 15:05

Hello all

First time posting here but reached the stage where some 'neutral' advice would be appreciated.

Diagnosed with Prostate cancer early 2012 after going to the docs and getting a PSA test done.

My original PSA score was 14.4.

This led to a biposy that confirmed cancer was present.

Of the 12 samples taken cancer showed up in 2 samples (1 either side).

Haven't got my results to hand but remember thinking the % of cancer showing seemed very low.

The hospital gave me the results and the surgeon and his team gave me a choice i.e operate or active surveillance.After much soul searching and discussions with my wife and family I decided to go for active surveillance.

Since then my PSA has hovered between 8-11.

My last biopsy was in October 2014 and proved to be negative.

I remember a nurse at Christies telling me that you had to hit the jam in the doughnut so to speak so not over excited by the negative result but its a hell of a lot better than the alternative!

It's also worth mentioning that around the time of my last biopsy I had a nuclear bone scan and an MRI and both of these were negative.

Due to have a review this Friday and have just had the result back from my latest PSA which is 14.6.

As this is the highest it has been I feel unsure on how to proceed as clearly my PSA scores are a little volatile.The same Christies nurse also told me that different clinics can give slightly different results on your PSA score and thats interesting as my first and last tests were done at a different hospital to the one I usually go to (wishful thinking?).

Has anyone else had a similar experience to me and if so how did you deal with your own situation?

For the record I'm 55 years of age and otherwise in reasonable health.

All comments received with interest so thanks in advance for posting.

Cheers