I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Help pls

User
Posted 03 Mar 2015 at 00:25
Hi. Hoping for some guidance. My husband is 64 . He had pain in his urinary area 3 months ago. His bloods showed a psa of 7.3. The doctor recommended a trus biopsy which came back negative. He did a psa 3 months later and the count was 6.5. He was then asked to do an MRI. Found two lesions. 8mm and 9 mm that we are told look suspicious. So now we are being given the choice of another biopsy template. to find out if these are cancerous. He said in cases like this as a doctor he had only 30% come back cancerous. Altnatively we can wait 3 months and do another psa. Can anyone confirm if they have had this before. Would you go for a waiting game or another template biopsy?
User
Posted 03 Mar 2015 at 08:42

Hi

Personally, I would want to know asap. and would go for the biopsy. In respect of the PSA, it is good it has dropped, but check that the measurements were at the same place. There can be variations between centres.

What you decide is as much about personality. If you are going to be constantly wondering, then get it done. If you are relaxed about it, then wait.

Paul

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 03 Mar 2015 at 09:12

Hello Plokji and welcomeTemplate biopsies are not very nice. The fact that two lesions have been found though and that they look suspicious I would have thought meant you needed it confirmed.There are many others on here who have already been the template route and I am sure somebody else with more knowledge will be along to give their take on it.I'm with sixfoottwo though. I'd want my husband to have the knowledge, one way or the other.

Edited by member 03 Mar 2015 at 09:12  | Reason: Not specified

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 03 Mar 2015 at 09:21

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Hi. Hoping for some guidance. My husband is 64 . He had pain in his urinary area 3 months ago. His bloods showed a psa of 7.3. The doctor recommended a trus biopsy which came back negative. He did a psa 3 months later and the count was 6.5. He was then asked to do an MRI. Found two lesions. 8mm and 9 mm that we are told look suspicious. So now we are being given the choice of another biopsy template. to find out if these are cancerous. He said in cases like this as a doctor he had only 30% come back cancerous. Altnatively we can wait 3 months and do another psa. Can anyone confirm if they have had this before. Would you go for a waiting game or another template biopsy?

Do you have any other PSA test results, this would show a better pattern than 2 results. I am not sure what a decline in PSA month to month can be indicative of?  There are some activities which if done within 24 hours before the blood is taken, can cause a PSA level to spike.   

A TRUS biopsy can easily miss cancerous cells and can not access some parts of the prostate due to the angle of attack.  Even then, depending on how many samples were taken, cells may be missed and the needle could pass right by a cancerous cell yet give a negative reading.  Do you know how many samples were taken?  

Did he have a DRE, and if he did, did it give any indication as to what might be going on?  Any history of PCa in the family lineage?

If it were me I would want every examination and test done asap as if there is a problem then the sooner it is diagnosed the better the outcome, generally speaking.

good luck

dave

Edited by member 03 Mar 2015 at 10:08  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 03 Mar 2015 at 11:02
Hello Polkij,

My husband is having a Template Biopsy on Thursday I have read a lot about them and it will be done under general anaesthetic, as they take more samples if there is anything to be found they should find it. I will report back once it is done and let you know how he found it. We get results on 12th March.

Good luck whatever you choose.

Trish

User
Posted 03 Mar 2015 at 18:25

My OH had a Template biopsy after negative biopsy/MRI .  It was at recommendation of onco.   This found his cancer which was then treated,successfully we hope.   The way we looked at it was : you're da**ed if you do and you're da**ed if you don't so you might as well get on with it.  Right call, tho still a shock at the time.  Best wishes whatever you decide,El.