Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

possible flexible cystoscopy

User
Posted 17 Mar 2015 at 16:48

Hi

During my OH previous appointment with the oncology nurse in February it was decided that he should be given a flexible cystoscopy, following a 'bleed' when he passed water. 

We had  told our GP about the 'bleed' and he was given antibiotics and a letter was sent to the hospital asking if there had been any tests on his bladder.

As my OH had not received an appointment for the procedure I rang the hospital yesterday and they tell me they have no knowledge of the request and they would call me back which they have not yet done.  I rang again today but they say  now that they will not discuss the matter with me.       How do others on this site cope with discussing their partner's illness, and is there some way I can be allowed to speak on his behalf.

I have been thinking that as it is over a month since the 'bleed' occurred and there have been no other problems since, whether in fact he does not need to have this invasive procedure which may cause more bleeding. The oncologist nurse suggests bleeding was probably from the tumour in which case would there be any treatment available and if not is it really necessary.

I wonder if anyone on here could give me a bit of help with this one please.   I want my OH to be given everything possible to extend his life but also agonise about putting him through painful procedures which may not be warranted.

We are both still learning, and everyday is a new experience and people on here are very knowledgeable.

Thank you

Polly

User
Posted 17 Mar 2015 at 21:23

Polly

Sorry to hear about the bad experience you are having.

I can only speak from my experience, I had a flexible cystoscopy on Friday last week, the only discomfort was a bit of stinging when urinating after the procedure.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 17 Mar 2015 at 23:03

I had a cystoscopy and the thought was worse than the procedure itself. I had been self catherising so was used to a tube but apart from the stinging which they give you as an anti biotic it was very straightforward. It can eliminate potential problems too so worth thinking about.

User
Posted 18 Mar 2015 at 07:47

Having a cystoscopy was truly my worst nightmare...before I had it.

I found the procedure absolutely painless so if your OH is worried about it please reassure him

Bri

User
Posted 18 Mar 2015 at 19:26
Hi Polly

As Chris, Yorkhull and Bri say, the procedure is not too bad. A little uncomfortable for a few seconds at the beginning but nothing untoward.

I guess from your post that you and your OH are more concerned about the need for an invasive procedure. I was diagnosed with PCa in July 2014 then had some blood in my urine on 9th December 2014. I had a flexible cystoscopy on 23rd December. Unfortunately for me I had tumours in my bladder. They have been biopsied and appropriate treatment is due to start soon.

What's important is that any sign of blood in the urine should be investigated even if it shows nothing. So do follow it up. That little bit of discomfort is worth it if it rules out bladder tumours or even if it confirms bladder tumours at an early stage that can be dealt with.

Hope all goes well for you both.

Michael

User
Posted 28 Mar 2015 at 18:50

Hi and thank you all for posting.   I have asked the hospital to give a date for the procedure but apparently it has not been logged on my husband's notes so nothing has been arranged.   He is due to visit the oncologist nurse shortly so we should be able to finally get it done.  Nothing seems to be simple but you have all reassured us with your posts that it isn't something which we should be afraid of.

Thank you

Polly