Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Any advice please :)

User
Posted 08 Apr 2015 at 22:25
Hello everyone!

I'm new here and have joined as my stepdad was diagnosed with prostate cancer last September. He's a bit useless with anything online so I thought I would join here, really for both of us to get some advice and support! 

His cancer is advanced and has spread to the lymph nodes around his stomach however the consultant didn't seem too worried about anything and started him on hormone treatment which bought his PSA level down from 100 to 7.  However, he has recently been having pain in his hips and last week peed bright red blood for 2 days. This has stopped but we're waiting to have some tests and wotnot and trying to be positive.

In my mind I'm wavering from "its just side effects from the hormones" to "he has a massive tumour and the cancers spread to his bones" scenarios. So I was wondering if anyone has had this sort of experience and can shed some light on what we might expect. Good or bad.

Thank you very much x

User
Posted 09 Apr 2015 at 01:21

Hi Hedders,
did he have bone scans at the time of his diagnosis? What tests are they doing now?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 09 Apr 2015 at 02:27
Hi Hedders,

I can offer no more at this stage than Lyn can, the more information you can give the better. I am reading between the ines a little and thinking that your StepDad's initial diagnosis was advanced with spread just to lymph nodes and not bones. Peeing blood is not normally a side effect of the Hormone treatment, however any kidney problem or Urinary Tract infection can cause it and also the pain in the pelvic and lower back area. You say tests have been scheduled, let us know which ones and then maybe we can give you a bit more information and support.

What you are doing for your stepDad is a very lovely thing so great job

xx

Mo

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 09 Apr 2015 at 01:21

Hi Hedders,
did he have bone scans at the time of his diagnosis? What tests are they doing now?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 09 Apr 2015 at 02:27
Hi Hedders,

I can offer no more at this stage than Lyn can, the more information you can give the better. I am reading between the ines a little and thinking that your StepDad's initial diagnosis was advanced with spread just to lymph nodes and not bones. Peeing blood is not normally a side effect of the Hormone treatment, however any kidney problem or Urinary Tract infection can cause it and also the pain in the pelvic and lower back area. You say tests have been scheduled, let us know which ones and then maybe we can give you a bit more information and support.

What you are doing for your stepDad is a very lovely thing so great job

xx

Mo

User
Posted 09 Apr 2015 at 08:11

Thank you for your replies! At the time of his diagnosis he had a CT scan. I'm not sure if that includes a bone scan or not but they told him it wasn't in his bones but to keep an eye out for any new pains as that might suggest it has spread.
Unfortunately at the time he was diagnosed I was going through some health stuff myself so my sister went to his appointments with him. I've kind of missed out on all the important information!
His GP has sent a urine sample away to check for an infection and I think he's waiting for either a cystoscopy or a colonoscopy. He always gets his words muddled up, hehe!!
To be honest I think I knew that the blood wasn't a symptom of the hormone treatment. We joked that he might have started his period!! You have to laugh sometimes :)