Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Multi-parametric MRI

User
Posted 29 Apr 2015 at 11:53

Hi

I am a new user, aged 58.  I was diagnosed by a urologist with prostatitis 18 months ago but now my PSA has gone back up and last week I was recommended to have a TRUS biopsy.  I am not happy about this now that I have researched it and I have managed to arrange another appointment with my urologist for tomorrow (Thursday).

I would like to have a Multi-parametric MRI scan, followed by a targeted template biopsy, if the MRI shows that it is necessary/advisable.  What are my chances of getting this MRI on the NHS? My local hospital does not have a Multi-parametric MRI scanner and I would need to be referred elsewhere?

Any advice on this, or other questions I should ask the consultant tomorrow, gratefully received.

Tony

User
Posted 29 Apr 2015 at 18:11

I am not really sure why you are unhappy about the biopsy. Most men on here have had at least one and some have had rather a few. Scans are good but not perfect, my husband's scan suggested he was clear but the biopsy said otherwise and once he had the op it was found to have already spread to his bladder. If we had trusted the scan, he would never have been given the chance of treatment and eventual remission.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard