Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Wives & Partners: How lucky we are !

User
Posted 15 May 2015 at 14:14

Hi,

I posted this on my "Today is the First Day of the Rest of My Life" conversation but I thought that it deserved a separate thread.

I just think sometimes we forget how much wives and partners are affected by our illness, in some cases, even more than we are.  I'm been guilty of this, especially in recent months. 

This is what I wrote on my other thread on Thursday evening:

"My lovely wife happened to read my posts last night and was really upset by what I'd written at times when I was feeling very low.  Sometimes, when you feel this way you often write things you don't really mean because you're hurting and just want to hit out at someone.  She felt it painted her in a very bad light, which wasn't really my intention.

When I woke this morning, I found this list, on my bedside table to remind me of the support she has given me.  Reading this, I entirely agree with everything she said. 

I asked her if I could share what she wrote with you on my thread.  I feel I owe it to her after some of things I wrote.

This is what she wrote:

Am I Guilty ?

It was me who persuaded you to get it checked out.

It was me who sat with you and held your hand through all the tests.

It was me who fell to pieces when given the bad news, you were strong.

It was me who couldn’t sleep and cried all night long.

It was me who struggled watching you go through the treatment.

It was me who sat with you in the park and talked.

It was me who cried in Resus during your heart attack and told you “I love you”.

It was me who was at your bedside in hospital, never leaving you until I was made to.

It was me who was told by the doctor “Nice to see such devotion”.

It was me who tried so hard to get things right.

It was me who failed because of your depression.

It was me who was shocked by your secret and lies.

It was me who was hurt by the things you discuss with your community friends.

It was me who was criticised by people I don’t even know.

It was me who was left heartbroken after 35 years.

It is me who is wondering if I should leave.

It is me who is guilty of all of the above.

I can only say "I'm Sorry" for the hurt I caused and say how much I love her."

I have read and reread the words she wrote many times since she gave them to me and every time it I do, I feel really sad that I'd forgotten how much emotional pain our partners go through.   I think my wife deserves a medal for putting up with me, I wish I was stronger so she didn't have so much to cope with.

I think I've the words she wrote will stay with me for a long time.

Steve

User
Posted 17 May 2015 at 23:06

Well, my reply was lost in the ether, apparently.

Steve , I would not reproach yourself. Ask yourself, what "normal" or "rational" person's response to the situation you and your wife find yourself in would be to write a note? Any rational perspn would talk to you, not dramatise things with a note. How odd?

And looking at that this, it is all about her. I, like you, have had deal with a high maintenance self obsessed X, no time for me in life, but stalked me here when I left her, bizarre, mad, but barking, it's not easy.

To WeeWifie - I know where you are coming from, and you are on the money. Don't beat yourself up.
Steve, keep your faith and get training for that marathon, all in good time.

dave

one who knows

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 15 May 2015 at 20:48

Sometimes it's easier to talk to strangers than to the person we are closest to.

Your wife has been there through thick and thin and loves you dearly, that much is obvious.

I cannot remember any actual posts where you criticise her, if I did see them I probably put it down to the depression you were feeling and the general way you were feeling about life after all the rubbish that has been thrown at you.

However, your lovely wife has been dreadfully hurt by your apparent disloyalty. She is too close to you perhaps to see why you posted how you did and just sees you portraying her in a negative way.

You've shared things with us that you haven't shared with her so you have excluded her and that hurts.

It is sad that she is upset, I know in her shoes I would feel exactly the same. The list above has come from her heart and shows the measure of how badly she feels she has been treated.

It's a difficult one Steve. I really do understand that at your lowest points in your life you wanted to be honest about how you felt. We could all support you but you couldn't hurt us by that honesty because we are only online friends (although I know you have met some of us)

Nothing as simple as a bunch of flowers is going to help. You've been together a long time and have a wonderful family together. I hope you can get over this glitch and prove to her by your public declaration that you really love and appreciate her and that she can forgive what she sees as your portraying her in a bad light.

Is she guilty? Yes of course she is. She is guilty of loving a man. She is guilty of wanting the best for him. She is guilty for the thoughts she had when she sat with him in resusc and wondered whether she would lose the love of her life. She is guilty of all of the things on her list.,

I really hope that she is never guilty of the penultimate on the list though, leaving you. I hope she loves you enough to put it all behind her and to forgive you. I hope that she comes to accept that sharing with this community was not a deliberate attempt to set her aside, but to spare her feelings at a time when she had already been through so much.

We all do things in our lives and marriages that with hindsight we wouldn't dream of doing.

Lets hope we all learn by our mistakes.

Best wishes to both of you. I really hope you can both put this behind you and get on with loving and living

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 15 May 2015 at 20:48

Sometimes it's easier to talk to strangers than to the person we are closest to.

Your wife has been there through thick and thin and loves you dearly, that much is obvious.

I cannot remember any actual posts where you criticise her, if I did see them I probably put it down to the depression you were feeling and the general way you were feeling about life after all the rubbish that has been thrown at you.

However, your lovely wife has been dreadfully hurt by your apparent disloyalty. She is too close to you perhaps to see why you posted how you did and just sees you portraying her in a negative way.

You've shared things with us that you haven't shared with her so you have excluded her and that hurts.

It is sad that she is upset, I know in her shoes I would feel exactly the same. The list above has come from her heart and shows the measure of how badly she feels she has been treated.

It's a difficult one Steve. I really do understand that at your lowest points in your life you wanted to be honest about how you felt. We could all support you but you couldn't hurt us by that honesty because we are only online friends (although I know you have met some of us)

Nothing as simple as a bunch of flowers is going to help. You've been together a long time and have a wonderful family together. I hope you can get over this glitch and prove to her by your public declaration that you really love and appreciate her and that she can forgive what she sees as your portraying her in a bad light.

Is she guilty? Yes of course she is. She is guilty of loving a man. She is guilty of wanting the best for him. She is guilty for the thoughts she had when she sat with him in resusc and wondered whether she would lose the love of her life. She is guilty of all of the things on her list.,

I really hope that she is never guilty of the penultimate on the list though, leaving you. I hope she loves you enough to put it all behind her and to forgive you. I hope that she comes to accept that sharing with this community was not a deliberate attempt to set her aside, but to spare her feelings at a time when she had already been through so much.

We all do things in our lives and marriages that with hindsight we wouldn't dream of doing.

Lets hope we all learn by our mistakes.

Best wishes to both of you. I really hope you can both put this behind you and get on with loving and living

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 15 May 2015 at 21:36
I no longer read your posts.

Edited by member 20 May 2015 at 22:38  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 16 May 2015 at 02:08

Hi Wee Wifie,

I'm so sorry you don't feel you can read my posts anymore, and that I may have offended you. 

I always try to describe how I'm feeling at the time when I'm posting in hope that it may help others understand one person's journey through what has been, a very difficult year.  I'm always interested in how others have coped with their illnesses in hope that I may learn how better to cope with my own.  I hope sometimes I might have helped someone along the way who've read mine.

I never set out to intentionally hurt anyone, especially my wife but sometimes when you feel very low and very stressed, things can be said or written that you don't really mean. 

I was very depressed back in March, made worse by the news of my Mum's serious illness which resulted, as you know, in me being admitted into hospital.  It was decided, while I was there, that the severe chest pains I suffered at the time of my admission were probably due to a recent change in medication and the extreme anxiety I was experiencing at the time.  I was shocked when I was told this as the pain I suffered was far worse than when I had my heart attack in November. 

I felt humiliated, that I was wasting everyone's time and left there thinking that next time anything like this happens, I will have to be sure I'm dying before ringing 999.  I felt even more worthless than when I went in. 

Even within a day or two of being in hospital, I reached the conclusion, rightly or wrongly, that because we were told it wasn't a heart attack but only anxiety and stress, my wife had decided that there was nothing wrong with me and I should sign myself out and come home. 

I think this is why I probably said the things I did around that time because I thought she had lost faith in me.  This hurt me a lot because what I was feeling and experiencing was very real to me.

You mentioned me editing my reply to your post at that time.  The only reason I did this, was not to make myself look good, but because sometimes when you re-read what you have written, you can see what you have said is unfair and not very nice.  It wasn't my intention to make you look bad and I'm sorry if it seemed that way.

When you said that someone had said about me being "attacked" again, I don't think it was a criticism of your post, I think they were referring to the fact that I had been admitted into hospital with another suspected heart attack. 

I'm sorry if I have offended you in anyway, it wasn't my intention.  The reason for me starting this thread was to apologise and acknowledge the support my wife has given me.  I love her so much, as I do all my family.

The way life has turned out for us in the last year has been awful, a difficult journey for both of us and it seems to get worse all the time. 

What's hard to come to terms with is that almost everything that's happened is my fault.  I often feel things might be better if I wasn't around anymore. 

I'm just a less than perfect person trying to do my best, very often getting things wrong.

Steve

User
Posted 16 May 2015 at 10:18

Steve - you wrote how you were feeling at the time. People commonly wrote diaries that were private and certainly not for viewing by those closest to us. With forums such as this, those same thoughts are written for strangers, but still not for viewing by our loved ones.

I hope you are able to sort things out - and your good lady will come to understand how and why you felt as you did, and recognise how helpful you found this site. I have always found writing my thoughts in times of difficulty a great help, and I'm sure that helped you. I would say to the two of you - don't let this spoil your marriage. Understanding is needed from both sides.

Paul

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 16 May 2015 at 16:19

Steve,

My experience was one of how deeply a diagnosis of Pca affects so much of ourselves and our relationships. I am able to be less harsh on myself now for the angry and disloyal thoughts I often had about Neil when he was ill. It was just the immense stress and total uncertainty as well as chasing up all of the treatment side.

A week before Neil died, he told me he didnt feel close to me anymore. I could have killed him but I recognised too, this was the illness speaking and not him and actually, I had felt like that about him for along time so I was not one to judge.

Be kind to yourself, however much we love our partners, we are often not the same people when ill or under pressure, at least that's my take on it, easy to think and say things one regrets under those circumstances. Little things often mean a lot and take the heat out of situations, Neil used to buy me flowers, hard for him as he wasnt that type. Maybe find one little loving thing you can do or say to your wife each day and remember to say something kind to yourself also !!!

Regards, Fiona.

User
Posted 16 May 2015 at 18:36

Steve,never think things would be better if you were not around.  Your wife has been hurt,I believe she has forgiven the worst as she is still with you.  Move on from this and hopefully your loving relationship will continue.  A very thoughtful post from Sandra.  Remember your mantra-the FIRST day of the rest of your life.  ps a massage is a loving way of showing appreciation. El.

User
Posted 16 May 2015 at 18:43
Dear Steve and wife,

I was sorry to read your post and to learn what cancer has done to you.

This is what it does, it tries to destroy lives, relationships, confidence and everything that you once were.

I hope that you can both get through this and work together to fight this disease, who said what to who is not relevant in the bigger picture and I hope that you will both be able to put things in perspective and assist each other now to carry on.

Alison

User
Posted 16 May 2015 at 19:07
Steve

I replied fully to your original post but just a plea to show this thread to your wife as there have been several comments from partners who have been affected by PCa / depression and many other illnesses. Unfortunately she is not on her own and never will be, as Fiona said we have to remember that it's "ill Steve" (in my case too) who is doing the talking not "soulmate Steve". As I said to you in my other post, we came very close to a make or break decision and I was so relieved when my Steve finally saw what he had and what he would lose.

Don't let the demons win, either of you, fight them together,

With all best wishes

Maureen

"You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think." A A Milne
User
Posted 17 May 2015 at 23:06

Well, my reply was lost in the ether, apparently.

Steve , I would not reproach yourself. Ask yourself, what "normal" or "rational" person's response to the situation you and your wife find yourself in would be to write a note? Any rational perspn would talk to you, not dramatise things with a note. How odd?

And looking at that this, it is all about her. I, like you, have had deal with a high maintenance self obsessed X, no time for me in life, but stalked me here when I left her, bizarre, mad, but barking, it's not easy.

To WeeWifie - I know where you are coming from, and you are on the money. Don't beat yourself up.
Steve, keep your faith and get training for that marathon, all in good time.

dave

one who knows

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.