I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

When I became a consumer again!

User
Posted 13 Jun 2015 at 17:38

From the start of my difficulty to the first follow up to the hospital I felt I was very much in the role of a patient. It was when my catheter was taken out I felt something had changed. The nurse (a very nice lady and extremely good at her job) suddenly said to me "have you got your rucksack?". I was stuck for words, what she was talking about? When I carefully said no, she leaned down and pulled out a cheap plastic bag from under her desk full of free samples, Tena Man, zip waste bags, plus this and that!

When I got back to my car I had a good look at all the 'presents' she had given me. In an instant I felt I had now moved from being a patient back to being a consumer again. Obviously, illness is a money earner for all sorts of different organisations! To cut a long story short I did not want to spend my money on their products so I used the free samples and put my thinking cap on. I was not happy to wear pads so after a bit of thought I began to improvise and sorted out a couple of solutions which I designed just for ME!

I felt that the companies who make items to solve or minimise incontinence problem worked on the principle that we the patient have to fit in with their generic product, or we just wet ourselves! So I had a go and came up with my personalised solutions.

I was quite incontinent at first and decided to try out the free sample sheath, tube and leg urine bag before going for a walk. It worked and was even better when I went to the pub for the first time. The main drawback however, was the 'drag' weight from the sheath, I found it to be very uncomfortable. I solved this problem by creating a small hole for the plastic tube though one of my underpants. This was good because the sheath now had a comfortable resting place, it was now secured by the comfort and support of my underwear.

My best idea however, was to buy a pack of really cheap waterproof undersheets from our local Boots and cut them up into about 48, 3" x"2 rectangles. I then folded each one longwise and secured one end with a bit of sellotape. Worked a treat, my own little slings! Unobtrusive, disposable and could be quickly be changed even when in the pub.

I have moved on since then and now only have to use my little 3" x 2"s inventions now and again.