Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Passion for poker or enjoy a game?

User
Posted 15 Jun 2015 at 11:47

Hello,

Do you have a passion for poker or enjoy a game or two? Are you interested in using your story to help raise funds? Prostate Cancer UK is exploring the development of a new fundraising activity which involves people getting together for a night in and playing poker for fun, with a portion of the winnings coming to us to help beat prostate cancer. We are looking for people to get involved in some communications work to help us promote the product widely whilst sharing their own personal experience of prostate cancer to help illustrate the need for more funds.

If this sounds like you then please follow this link for more information and to register your interest - we'd love to hear from you.

http://prostatecanceruk.org/get-involved/volunteer-with-us/poker

Best wishes,

Communications Team

User
Posted 15 Jun 2015 at 15:42

A resounding and absolute NO from me. We're all adults but the cynic in me feels this to be taking advantage.

Do you have any fund raising ideas that doesn't need a support group of its own? http://www.gamblersanonymous.org.uk/

User
Posted 18 Jun 2015 at 11:34

Hello, thanks very much for your thoughts.

Whilst it isn’t for everyone, we know that loads of people really enjoy a friendly card game. Friendly is the operative word - the idea is a bunch of pals getting together at home for a one-off fun evening to raise money as part of Men United’s ‘summer of friendship’.

It’s just one of the activities we’re suggesting mates might do together - hiking, biking, getting out walking, BBQs, doing the Three Peaks Challenge, playing a round of golf, and, yes, a hand of cards. We hope there’s something for everyone and we do want to hear people’s stories.

Prostate Cancer UK is all about reaching men of all backgrounds and interests, and that means using the love of sport, competition and games in general to catch their interest.