Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

A "Race For Life" for men!

User
Posted 26 Jun 2015 at 13:02

Hi Guys,

If anyone feels they would like to raise some money for a good cause you might be interested in the fact that there is a "Race For Life" for men taking place at the Showground in Newbury, Berkshire on Sunday 26th. July at 10.30am.  This is our chance to show that we can do what women have done so successfully with their "Race For Life" events.

I've entered as a first step to getting fit again and raise a bit of money for cancer research.  Could be a bit of a challenge as I'm trying to get rid of an annoying calf injury at the moment but I will do it even if I need to walk all the way.

If you're interested in entering or telling someone who may be interested, the website with more details is www.boysbeatingcancer.org

Steve

Edited by member 26 Jun 2015 at 15:11  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 26 Jul 2015 at 07:49
Hi,

Just about to leave to go to Newbury.

Checked on the internet and found there are only four runners in the over 60's section therefore I could finish in the impressive fourth place!

Weather forecast: Heavy rain but that's not going to stop me enjoying it.

I've volunteered to work on my local PCa Support Group stand before and after the race, handing out information. Might just get some to consider getting their PSA checked if they have problems.

Really looking forward to it.

Steve

Edited by member 26 Jul 2015 at 07:49  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 26 Jun 2015 at 13:02

Hi Guys,

If anyone feels they would like to raise some money for a good cause you might be interested in the fact that there is a "Race For Life" for men taking place at the Showground in Newbury, Berkshire on Sunday 26th. July at 10.30am.  This is our chance to show that we can do what women have done so successfully with their "Race For Life" events.

I've entered as a first step to getting fit again and raise a bit of money for cancer research.  Could be a bit of a challenge as I'm trying to get rid of an annoying calf injury at the moment but I will do it even if I need to walk all the way.

If you're interested in entering or telling someone who may be interested, the website with more details is www.boysbeatingcancer.org

Steve

Edited by member 26 Jun 2015 at 15:11  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 26 Jun 2015 at 16:03

Thanks for posting that Steve and well done and good luck when you take part. Walking works!! Still raises the money.

All the best. Hope you are OK.
Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 26 Jun 2015 at 18:08

nice one

run long and prosper

'pooh how do you spell love'

'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'

User
Posted 26 Jun 2015 at 21:17
Go for it Steve

Wallking is great , at 73 running finished I walk and cycling trying to get fit. You do it ,enjoy it and raise some money at the same time, good on you!!!.

KEEP POSITIVE and good luck

Alan

User
Posted 20 Jul 2015 at 09:15

Well good luck for next Sunday Steve. I hope the weather is kind to you, not too hot and not too cold. I'll order it up for you !!

With it looming as it is just do the best you can with the training, and as I said in an earlier post walk it if you have to because that will show as much commitment as running it, feeling as you do.

Go Steve Go !!!! Wear the go faster striped, that might help  http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif

Edited by member 20 Jul 2015 at 09:47  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 20 Jul 2015 at 17:58

Thanks Sandra (Johsan) and Paul (Healey),

You can't imagine how much your support means to me and raises my spirits.  I can't fail with you behind me.

Steve 

Edited by member 20 Jul 2015 at 17:59  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 22 Jul 2015 at 08:56

Hi,

I'd just like to thank the person who made a very generous donation to my Justgiving page. 

They didn't leave their name but I'm very grateful, thank you.

Steve

User
Posted 22 Jul 2015 at 10:56

Saw you'd reached the first target Steve, so well done. Go for it. We're all behind you mentally pushing you over the finishing line.

Sandra

User
Posted 22 Jul 2015 at 16:54

Steve
You are very welcome.
I know from experience of my last run how the support was so motivating.
Sorry I can't watch you but you're a bit too far away from Yorkshire

All the best for yr run and enjoy it.

Paul

User
Posted 22 Jul 2015 at 22:28
Best of luck Steve, but don't push yourself too much, you have been through a lot. walk it if need be, you are still raising money for a great cause and doing your bit.

Will be thinking of you.

Alison

User
Posted 23 Jul 2015 at 05:15

enjoy the run, pick a nice easy pace at the start and stick with it, if the tank has anything left at the end use it then do not run yourself empty at the start

nidge

run long and prosper

User
Posted 25 Jul 2015 at 07:07
Good luck for tomorrow Steve, run within yourself and finish well

Don't forget to let us know how you get on

All the best, Arthur

User
Posted 25 Jul 2015 at 10:02

Just in case I don't get up in time to wish you good luck before you set of for the run so..........................................

http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif     GOOD LUCK STEVE. I'M WILLING YOU ON      http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif

Edited by member 25 Jul 2015 at 10:03  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 25 Jul 2015 at 11:28

Hi Steve
Really proud you are doing this considering how you have been feeling of late . Respect .
Take it steady
Chris

User
Posted 26 Jul 2015 at 00:47

Good luck, Steve. Hope it goes well.

Paul

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 26 Jul 2015 at 15:00

Hi,

Well, I completed the very wet, men's "Race for Life" this morning.  Really enjoyed it.  I jogged about 65% of the race, the rest I walked.  Thought I wouldn't take any chances (promised my wife).

Thanks for everyone who supported me.

Steve

User
Posted 26 Jul 2015 at 15:14

Yay.... Well done Steve. Walked or run YOU DID IT!!!

Well done. Bet you're really pleased with yourself. Plus of course, you did your stint beforehand. Hope the wet weather at least acted as a coolant.

So pleased for you. That'll build your confidence eh?

Edited by member 26 Jul 2015 at 15:15  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 26 Jul 2015 at 15:16
Hi Steve,

Just looked at the results and seen your certificate on line - well done considering what you've been through over the past year

Glad you took it "easy"!

Arthur

User
Posted 26 Jul 2015 at 15:22

Superb Steve and well done for keeping it sensible !!
Chronic weather in Southampton " nearby " .
Chris

User
Posted 26 Jul 2015 at 15:25

Steve
Well done and well done to jog most of the way.
You've got to feel pleased with yourself for the mere fact you said you'd do it and for actually doing it.
I guess there's no stopping you now.
Can't wait for your next event.

Paul

User
Posted 26 Jul 2015 at 17:06

well done steve another tick in a box

nidge

run long and prosper

User
Posted 26 Jul 2015 at 19:10

S

Well done, walk or run you do a lot more that many of us on here.

Like the new photo.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 26 Jul 2015 at 23:25

Well done, Steve.

You must be delighted.

Paul

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 05 Aug 2015 at 02:39

Brilliant news - well done Steve

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 26 Jun 2015 at 16:03

Thanks for posting that Steve and well done and good luck when you take part. Walking works!! Still raises the money.

All the best. Hope you are OK.
Sandra

User
Posted 26 Jun 2015 at 18:08

nice one

run long and prosper

User
Posted 26 Jun 2015 at 21:17
Go for it Steve

Wallking is great , at 73 running finished I walk and cycling trying to get fit. You do it ,enjoy it and raise some money at the same time, good on you!!!.

KEEP POSITIVE and good luck

Alan

User
Posted 03 Jul 2015 at 16:56

Three weeks to go on Sunday, hope it's cooler than it has been the last few days.

Steve

User
Posted 19 Jul 2015 at 22:19

Hi,

I photographed the women's Race for Life event in Reading this morning, in beautiful weather.  What a fantastic event, so many people entered that they had to hold two races. 

I've been photographing the races since they first began and always thought it was a shame that it was a women only event but next Sunday I will be running (or walking and jogging) in the men's Race for Life being held in Newbury.  I'm really looking forward to it now but am disappointed that because of a calf muscle strain and my low mood, I've not done the training I was hoping to do.  So it's going to be quite a challenge.  It's my first small step to doing the Reading Half Marathon next spring, something to look forward to.

I'm hoping to raise some money for Cancer Research UK (the event is organised to fundraise for them) and then next year, I'll be fundraising for PCUK, if I make it to the Half Marathon.

I have a Just Giving page if anyone feels they would like to contribute:  www.justgiving.com/S-Smyth1 

Thanks.

Steve

User
Posted 20 Jul 2015 at 09:15

Well good luck for next Sunday Steve. I hope the weather is kind to you, not too hot and not too cold. I'll order it up for you !!

With it looming as it is just do the best you can with the training, and as I said in an earlier post walk it if you have to because that will show as much commitment as running it, feeling as you do.

Go Steve Go !!!! Wear the go faster striped, that might help  http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif

Edited by member 20 Jul 2015 at 09:47  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 20 Jul 2015 at 17:58

Thanks Sandra (Johsan) and Paul (Healey),

You can't imagine how much your support means to me and raises my spirits.  I can't fail with you behind me.

Steve 

Edited by member 20 Jul 2015 at 17:59  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 22 Jul 2015 at 08:56

Hi,

I'd just like to thank the person who made a very generous donation to my Justgiving page. 

They didn't leave their name but I'm very grateful, thank you.

Steve

User
Posted 22 Jul 2015 at 10:56

Saw you'd reached the first target Steve, so well done. Go for it. We're all behind you mentally pushing you over the finishing line.

Sandra

User
Posted 22 Jul 2015 at 16:54

Steve
You are very welcome.
I know from experience of my last run how the support was so motivating.
Sorry I can't watch you but you're a bit too far away from Yorkshire

All the best for yr run and enjoy it.

Paul

User
Posted 22 Jul 2015 at 22:28
Best of luck Steve, but don't push yourself too much, you have been through a lot. walk it if need be, you are still raising money for a great cause and doing your bit.

Will be thinking of you.

Alison

User
Posted 23 Jul 2015 at 05:15

enjoy the run, pick a nice easy pace at the start and stick with it, if the tank has anything left at the end use it then do not run yourself empty at the start

nidge

run long and prosper

User
Posted 25 Jul 2015 at 07:07
Good luck for tomorrow Steve, run within yourself and finish well

Don't forget to let us know how you get on

All the best, Arthur

User
Posted 25 Jul 2015 at 10:02

Just in case I don't get up in time to wish you good luck before you set of for the run so..........................................

http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif     GOOD LUCK STEVE. I'M WILLING YOU ON      http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif

Edited by member 25 Jul 2015 at 10:03  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 25 Jul 2015 at 11:28

Hi Steve
Really proud you are doing this considering how you have been feeling of late . Respect .
Take it steady
Chris

User
Posted 26 Jul 2015 at 00:47

Good luck, Steve. Hope it goes well.

Paul

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 26 Jul 2015 at 07:49
Hi,

Just about to leave to go to Newbury.

Checked on the internet and found there are only four runners in the over 60's section therefore I could finish in the impressive fourth place!

Weather forecast: Heavy rain but that's not going to stop me enjoying it.

I've volunteered to work on my local PCa Support Group stand before and after the race, handing out information. Might just get some to consider getting their PSA checked if they have problems.

Really looking forward to it.

Steve

Edited by member 26 Jul 2015 at 07:49  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 26 Jul 2015 at 13:20

Well done Steve,
sorry about the rain

Barry

User
Posted 26 Jul 2015 at 15:00

Hi,

Well, I completed the very wet, men's "Race for Life" this morning.  Really enjoyed it.  I jogged about 65% of the race, the rest I walked.  Thought I wouldn't take any chances (promised my wife).

Thanks for everyone who supported me.

Steve

User
Posted 26 Jul 2015 at 15:14

Yay.... Well done Steve. Walked or run YOU DID IT!!!

Well done. Bet you're really pleased with yourself. Plus of course, you did your stint beforehand. Hope the wet weather at least acted as a coolant.

So pleased for you. That'll build your confidence eh?

Edited by member 26 Jul 2015 at 15:15  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 26 Jul 2015 at 15:16
Hi Steve,

Just looked at the results and seen your certificate on line - well done considering what you've been through over the past year

Glad you took it "easy"!

Arthur

User
Posted 26 Jul 2015 at 15:22

Superb Steve and well done for keeping it sensible !!
Chronic weather in Southampton " nearby " .
Chris

User
Posted 26 Jul 2015 at 15:25

Steve
Well done and well done to jog most of the way.
You've got to feel pleased with yourself for the mere fact you said you'd do it and for actually doing it.
I guess there's no stopping you now.
Can't wait for your next event.

Paul

User
Posted 26 Jul 2015 at 17:06

well done steve another tick in a box

nidge

run long and prosper

User
Posted 26 Jul 2015 at 19:10

S

Well done, walk or run you do a lot more that many of us on here.

Like the new photo.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 26 Jul 2015 at 21:51

Hi,

Thanks everyone for your kind messages and your support.  It makes me want to do more.  I hadn't done any exercise for weeks so I'm surprised I made it round the course.  I only wish I could have kept up with my training before doing this, I might have been able to jog the whole way if I had.

Chris, the change of avatar is only for a short while, I can't pretend I'm still 27, even though sometimes I wish I could.

Steve

User
Posted 26 Jul 2015 at 23:25

Well done, Steve.

You must be delighted.

Paul

Stay Calm And Carry On.
User
Posted 27 Jul 2015 at 00:09

Thanks Paul,

I was relieved as much of anything, because I proved I could do it without causing harm to myself. 

I'd like to get properly fit now and maybe enter a 10k next.  My ultimate goal is the do the Reading Half Marathon next year.

Steve

User
Posted 05 Aug 2015 at 02:39

Brilliant news - well done Steve

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 05 Aug 2015 at 03:00
Thanks Lyn,

Good to see you're back. Hope you had a nice break.

I felt great on the day doing the race, in spite of really heavy rain. I was on a real high but came crashing down in the days that followed. I'm finding it hard to handle mood swings. I seem to spend most of my time pretending to be happy when I'm hurting inside.

I need to do another race.

Steve

User
Posted 05 Aug 2015 at 07:57

Concentrate on getting fit for the next one Steve.

When you're down, go for a gently jog