I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Location of hospitals with Robot-assisted surgery

User
Posted 21 Jul 2015 at 10:17

Hi everyone, I have just been diagnosed with prostate cancer and was informed that Robot-assisted surgery was my best option.

I am currently on a temporary work contract in Dubai but there is no option for this procedure here.

Does anyone know where I can find a list of hospitals that provide the option for Robot-assisted surgery?

I live in Lincolnshire but would be willing to travel.

I can't seem to find a comprehensive list of where this is offered.

If anyone could help me out here I'd be very grateful.

Thank you:)

User
Posted 21 Jul 2015 at 11:43

London, UCHL ( University college hospital london) one of the biggest and best in the UK

User
Posted 21 Jul 2015 at 12:01
Mr Sean

I have bumped your post so that more people will see it today and hopefully respond to you.

Welcome to the forum although of course nobody would really choose to be here, we are generally a helpul bunch, there are a lot of men currently posting who have just been through surgery or are just about to. Many more who have been through it and are well into their recovery time. S lots of first hand experience and knowledge here.

There are also ladies like me who just pop in to try and offer any support we can, we have all got a connection with PCa in some way or another.

It sounds like you have made a decision on robotic surgery, presumably having considered all the options and deciding that this is the one you want to go for.

Davinci machines are dotted about the country, I am not aware of a list giving specific hospital names, mainly as some are not used for prostatectomy procedures and is does change all the time.

London has a few UCH, Guys and St Thomas, Milon Keynes, Woverhampton, Manchester, Leeds, Newcastle the list could go on.

Have you got a Urologist in UK and are you planning for NHS or private treatment?

If you have a Urologist at home in Lincs, they can tell you which trust nearby offer this procedure done by DaVinci robot. I don't think Lincoln general do. I think Sheffield Hallamshire does and almost certainly Nottingham (Queens I would guess)

You need to bear in mind that the procedure requires 4 - 6 weeks of recovery time at least and then there are regular check ups, consults, tests etc after that. So if you are planning on going back to another Dubai or overseas contract you need to be aware of that.

I wish you all the best

xx

Mo

User
Posted 21 Jul 2015 at 17:21

MrSean,

Try this....as a first step.

http://www.davincisurgery.com/surgeon-locator/

For "display results for"...............choose "hospital"

For "Surgical speciality"............choose "urologic"

Because what is more important is having a surgeon who has done hundreds if not thousands of RALPs.

Flexi

User
Posted 21 Jul 2015 at 21:07
Mr S

Nottingham city hospital.

Thanks Chris

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 21 Jul 2015 at 11:43

London, UCHL ( University college hospital london) one of the biggest and best in the UK

User
Posted 21 Jul 2015 at 12:01
Mr Sean

I have bumped your post so that more people will see it today and hopefully respond to you.

Welcome to the forum although of course nobody would really choose to be here, we are generally a helpul bunch, there are a lot of men currently posting who have just been through surgery or are just about to. Many more who have been through it and are well into their recovery time. S lots of first hand experience and knowledge here.

There are also ladies like me who just pop in to try and offer any support we can, we have all got a connection with PCa in some way or another.

It sounds like you have made a decision on robotic surgery, presumably having considered all the options and deciding that this is the one you want to go for.

Davinci machines are dotted about the country, I am not aware of a list giving specific hospital names, mainly as some are not used for prostatectomy procedures and is does change all the time.

London has a few UCH, Guys and St Thomas, Milon Keynes, Woverhampton, Manchester, Leeds, Newcastle the list could go on.

Have you got a Urologist in UK and are you planning for NHS or private treatment?

If you have a Urologist at home in Lincs, they can tell you which trust nearby offer this procedure done by DaVinci robot. I don't think Lincoln general do. I think Sheffield Hallamshire does and almost certainly Nottingham (Queens I would guess)

You need to bear in mind that the procedure requires 4 - 6 weeks of recovery time at least and then there are regular check ups, consults, tests etc after that. So if you are planning on going back to another Dubai or overseas contract you need to be aware of that.

I wish you all the best

xx

Mo

User
Posted 21 Jul 2015 at 17:21

MrSean,

Try this....as a first step.

http://www.davincisurgery.com/surgeon-locator/

For "display results for"...............choose "hospital"

For "Surgical speciality"............choose "urologic"

Because what is more important is having a surgeon who has done hundreds if not thousands of RALPs.

Flexi

User
Posted 21 Jul 2015 at 21:07
Mr S

Nottingham city hospital.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 30 Jul 2015 at 11:52
My oh had rep at Derby hospital
User
Posted 05 Aug 2015 at 02:23

At risk of repeating myself and p*****g off all the DaVinci fans, MrSean how do you know that DV is going to be your best option? Until you see a couple of surgeons, you have no idea whether open surgery would be better for you or even RT, brachy or another treatment!

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 05 Aug 2015 at 15:17

Lyn raises an aspect that should be considered. There are situations where the Da Vinci is not the best method of surgery from a medical viewpoint for a particular patient and a successful outcome should be the most important consideration. Sometime ago now we did have a member whose local area did not have DV and the relevant body would not sanction the cost of this procedure on the NHS elsewhere so this is a potential, if unusual possibility that should be checked.

It is certainly worth looking at all options that may be open to an individual and discussing them with open minded and knowledgeable consultants. (This may have been done in this case). Many hospitals can only offer open Prostatectomy or basic External Beam Radiotherapy which may serve well but if this is all they have it is likely that this is all that they will offer. If you want to consider a wider choice of options including latest techniques, you have to research and seek them out.

Edited by member 05 Aug 2015 at 15:25  | Reason: Not specified

Barry