I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

New Members Keep Posting

User
Posted 27 Jul 2015 at 11:34
I'm a forum pensioner thus seen the forum throughout those years having its stressful periods. However in time as now it picks itself up. This time by mainly newish members. I just want to say thanks and keep posting. You may well have a rough patch as members don't always agree, neither should they as that helps discussion. Just ride the storm it will pass. Should you try to put the forum back as the old forum. I say not as the forum needs to reflect the wants and needs of today, whatever the direction it goes in

One minor moan, well I am a pensioner :), bumping yes it can help but it can also be counter productive as if member sees a post has been responded to they may well pass it by.

Keep posting and good luck

Ray

User
Posted 05 Aug 2015 at 02:37

Nice bird Ray x

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 05 Aug 2015 at 08:03

One minor moan, well I am a pensioner :), bumping yes it can help but it can also be counter productive as if member sees a post has been responded to they may well pass it by.

I bump whenever I see somebody wants an answer.

I know how it feels to think you are being ignored when you really want the reassurance that somebody is listening, even if they can't help.

On the basis of what you say Ray, anybody who answers at all will "bump" the post and therefore nobody else will bother.

How do you know a thing has been bumped until you look at it.

Sorry, but I'll continue to "bump"  http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 05 Aug 2015 at 09:03
Sorry Ray

but me too because of the way I believe the forum inserts new conversations.

The conversation is time stamped on input to the system it is then sent to the moderator who will release it as and when. However the system inserts the message according to its original timestamp which can be as much as 72 hours (if it is a bank hoiday weekend) after it was originally posted. Just recently we have had a couple of really distressed new members posting who I would certainly have missed if others had not seen the post and bumped it.

A lot depends on how you use the forum, if like me you sign in most days (missing when on holiday) I use the recent conversations and select since my last visit as the default. I do not folow any particular threads or individuals and do not use notifications.

We all have our own ways.

I also like your birdie

all the best

xx

Mo

User
Posted 05 Aug 2015 at 20:58

Disagreeing is fine much prefer that than a lifeless board.Cant recall old forum needing to bump but different times so you post whatever suits you.

More people posting would help in folks getting answers quicker. Less bugs might help achieve that. Should a hardly used forum receive priority on limited resources or should they be used elsewhere?

Bird used to fly away at 50 mtrs but I can now get to 15.

Possible smile: GP said " I expect blood tests to be positive" I came out thinking great no problems then, I think I got that wrong - It's an age thing :) I'm a guy so didn't ask what blood tests. Might remember to ask tomorrow when taken.

Ray