Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Am I worrying too much?

User
Posted 29 Jul 2015 at 16:15

Hi,

I am new to this site and was hoping for some advice re some symptoms I am having which are worrying me, I am 54, I had a PSA test 20 months ago which was normal, 3 or 4 weeks ago I noticed a pain in my groin, initially I put it down to a groin strain but it didn't feel right, I noticed it was worse when I had been sitting for a while, I had no other symptoms, as I am a bit of a worrier I looked on line and came across prostitis which fitted my symptom's, so I went to my GP and she sent me for a PSA test and urine test, both of which have come back normal today, however, last night I noticed that I needed to pee more than usual and the same today! I don't have a problem when I do pee but I know it can be a symptom of other prostate problems, is it too early for me to worry or should I visit GP again?

User
Posted 29 Jul 2015 at 17:06

Hi Pirate,  I would visit the GP again, just for peace of mind. She might refer you to a urologist for a fuller check out. That's what they're there for.

Flexi

User
Posted 29 Jul 2015 at 17:37

Hi Pirate bob,

I agree with Flexi, if you are not happy go back and visit your GP....

Don't try and diagnose yourself, and stay away from Dr Google!

Sometime symptoms of peeing more often than normal can be caused by anxiety, so try and relax a little?

Best wishes
Luther

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 29 Jul 2015 at 17:06

Hi Pirate,  I would visit the GP again, just for peace of mind. She might refer you to a urologist for a fuller check out. That's what they're there for.

Flexi

User
Posted 29 Jul 2015 at 17:37

Hi Pirate bob,

Sometime symptoms of peeing more often than normal can be caused by anxiety, so try and relax a little?

Best wishes
Luther

User
Posted 29 Jul 2015 at 20:57
Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Hi Pirate bob,

Best wishes
Luther

I loved Dr Google until I actually realised I suffered from everything under the sun. God knows how Dr's get it right ! I don't envy them.

User
Posted 30 Jul 2015 at 08:42

Hello Pirate and welcome

My first thought is, yes you are worrying too much. You are (with the help of Dr. Google) overthinking and coming up with the worst case scenario.

I agree with the others in that if you are still worrying, then return to the GP and ask to be referred on the basis that you are a worrier and need the reassurance of further tests. Worrying will in itself, produce other problems, probably digestive so no point in setting yourself up for further ill health when a check would put your mind at ease.

Like Chris says, if you use google you'll convince yourself your dying of rabies of something (been there - done that!) so leave it alone until you have something specific to check out.

Three questions: You say the PSA came back "normal".
Did your GP actually give you the figure or was that just her opinion? It would help to know what that PSA was.

Did your GP do a physical examination (DRE - digital (finger up the bottom) rectal examination? IF so did she also say that was "normal"

Did the GP check your groin? Did she discount a hernia?

I would get a referral and wait for the outcome of that before you start telling yourself you have major concerns. If the hospital says it's worth checking via Biopsy and MRI then at least you will have been taken seriously.

We are good at listening though, so please come back if we can help anymore.

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 30 Jul 2015 at 08:51

Yes on the normal as that can mean below the referral level set by local urologists (my own area is 4.5 for those as yet not diagnosed). By knowing the actual figure for this and previous PSA test you can see if there has been any increase of note. If so it might prompt the GP to take further action. If none you might be more relaxed.

Ray

User
Posted 30 Jul 2015 at 09:31

I agree with the rest go see the professionals .

Yes it may be cancer but having been diagnosed December 2014 , operated in February 2015 , I can assure you it is not the end of the world , I am here and not pushing up daisies. But what is sure if you do not get it checked you maybe whether it is cancer or just a groin strain.

You want find the answer on google or if you want a true medical information I could refer you to my expert on everthing my sister in law as she knows all the rubbish google tells you.