I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

prostate psa 6.3

User
Posted 21 Aug 2015 at 21:05
Hi.. i am new to this site, so please fogive any mistakes etc. I have a psa reading of 6.3..it was 4.5 so after a period of relatively moderate readings it has jumped to 6.5. The doctor sent me to a urologist who has decided to monitor my psa readings for the time being. I am having more frequent trips to the toilet so have asked my gp for a mri scan Tesla 3. Find your comments and advice on the site very helpful.

Is there anything more i should be doing.........I am 68 and understand some of the problems involved. Thanks for taking time to read this

regards.......skopelos
User
Posted 21 Aug 2015 at 22:21

Hello Skopelos and welcome to the site.

1) Over what period of time are you saying that your PSA results have changed

2) Have you had a biopsy at all?

3) Is your GP referring you for an MRI or is he referring you back to hospital?

4) I assume you have been tested for urinary infections?

5) Have you had a DRE (A digital rectum exam) by either the GP or the urologist? A DRE being a finger inserted into the rectum to see whether the prostate is hard or irregular.

6) Did the urologist say why he was leaving it to just watching your PSA readings.

I expect others will be along at some stage and will have more information or questions for you so in he meantime all the best.

Whatever your problem is, you will find support on here
Sandra

Edited by member 22 Aug 2015 at 10:00  | Reason: Not specified

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 22 Aug 2015 at 02:15

I wondered two things Skopelos - are you in the UK or another country and do you have other medical problems that might mean your PSA score is not the doctors' biggest concern about you?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 24 Aug 2015 at 12:56

I would ask for a biopsy to find out one way or another Andy

User
Posted 25 Aug 2015 at 22:55
Thanks for your replys to my post...most appreciated.

My psa has been monitored for approximately 2 years. In that time it has fluctuated around 4.0 to 4.5

My gp sent me to see the urologist after my 4.5 reading.

Iwas examined having DRE but the conversation with the urologist concluded that a watch and wait would be best for me at this time

I went back to my gp as I felt that my consisted trips to the toilet in an urgent manner was a classic symptom
Again I had a psa blood test done and this time it returned a higher reading of 6.3. Needless to say I wanted something done, to be proactive.

So instead of returning to the urologist (who wouldn't give me an MRI) I opted to go private and see whats inside my prostate gland
Depending on the results it would be followed up by a biopsy if needed.

Looking ahead and after reading advice on this excellent site I would prefer a TEMPLATE biopsy rather than a TRUS.....can I get this on the NHS?

Sorry to rabbit on, just getting to grips with this new problem as im on a watch and wait program for non hodgekins lymphoma.ps

PS.....received the ToolKit yesterday, very informative
I

User
Posted 27 Aug 2015 at 15:18
Without presuming too much, I don't understand why your urologist won't give you an mri or ct scan with a psa of 6.3. has he explained this decision to you? I think I would ask for a second opinion if I were you. You have a high psa and symptoms. What more reason does he need?
User
Posted 27 Aug 2015 at 19:02

Hi I,

Where are you in the world, are you in the UK?

I am no expert so take what I say with a pinch, but, your indicators as given by you seem to suggest to me that something should be done, needs to be done to at least establish exactly what your current condition is?

Have you asked the medical professionals exactly why they have taken no further action on your behalf?

dave

edited to make sense, needed a second go at it!  Doh!

Edited by member 28 Aug 2015 at 22:19  | Reason: Not specified

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 28 Aug 2015 at 21:04
Hi thanks for your replies, appreciate it
I agree with both of the posts submitted ....l live in Cornwall so my main hospital is in Truro. My urologist said that he wouldnt give me an mri scan and when i mentioned i would go private his comments were that i would be wasting my money!

My gp is more sympathetic and suggests that i have a second opinion.

I am golng on the 4th September to Bath for an mri (private) so depending on the results of the scan ....will decide my next move.

Thanks for your interest

regards.....skopelos
User
Posted 28 Aug 2015 at 21:51

Hi Skopelos, two years ago I had a Psa of 6.2 my GP sent me to a urologist who did a DRE then a biopsy, 5 from 12 positive. Next an MRI 2 weeks later a Robotic Prostatectomy, 2 Yrs. on I've never been better, I just dont understand why your GP/or Urologist is faffing about so much, if I were you Id kick him into touch and find another. Speed is of the essence, the sooner this is sorted the better for you. Good luck Diesel.

Edited by member 28 Aug 2015 at 21:59  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 07 Oct 2015 at 19:32

Hi Skopelos, I am new to the site, only joined today, but I am on a similar journey to you.  I am 55 and been having problems with urination for years and only recently had a PSA test (see my post in another section).  My PSA was 9 so I had a biopsy which came back negative in June which was a great relief, but a follow up PSA test has just come back at 14 so I am back to being worried and I have been referred for an MRI scan.  One thing my urologist did do was start me on Tamsulosin which helped greatly with the urination problems, have you been given any medication to help?  My prostate is enlarged (BPH), hopefully, that will be your only problem, and if it is Tamsulosin should help

User
Posted 01 Nov 2015 at 14:15
Hi we seem to be in a similar boat?
My PSA jumped 2.4 in 2 months
Unfortunately I have one of the worst hospitals to be treated in its been put into special measures after a Quality care commission report.

My urologist is hopeless he said to have a new PSA test in 6 months? When the guidelines are 1-3 months
He just said don't drink tea or coffee and not even de caffeinated as in his words it's poison?
I have still never been given or had a DRE by my GP or my consultant ?
only a cystoscopy which showed an enlarged prostrate and having blood in my wee.
I also have really low testosterone have diabetes and high blood pressure man boobs muscle wasting etc
I have found out like you the best scan is by a Teslar 3 MRI scanner and the best test is a multi parametric scan
The problem being is there are not many about
The nice guidelines state that a scan is best done first rather than biopsies etc
My GP won't refer me either I'm worried and trapped in the post code lottery