Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

A Fresh Start

User
Posted 04 Nov 2015 at 07:13

great news all round steve
must have made your day getting to the party, bet you where smiling like a Cheshire cat, so get your feet up a bit and watch the video of the party their must be loads

nidge

run long and prosper

'pooh how do you spell love'

'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'

User
Posted 06 Nov 2015 at 18:04
Hi,

Thanks Nidge, it was great to be there. I think he was a bit overwhelmed by everything that was going on. Golden moments though.

I'm just traveling, by a much delayed bus, to my monthly PCa Support Group meeting. Our own Keith Cass MBE is the speaker so I'm really looking forward to it. Hope to do a few pictures too, to stick on FB. Should be an interesting talk.

Looking forward to being able to drive again on Monday after my week's ban following my heart operation (DVLA Rules).

Steve

User
Posted 07 Nov 2015 at 19:32
Hi,

Just noticed the date and realised it's one year ago today since I completed my radiotherapy.

Hopefully, in about a year's time, I might have an indication that it may have been successful (when my HT finishes). It's the longest I've ever had to wait for any results.

Steve

User
Posted 13 Nov 2015 at 00:32

Hi,

Well, I had to make a commitment.  A goal to aim for.  I delayed the decision until I knew the outcome of my coronary angiogram last week but finally this evening, I entered next April's Reading Half Marathon.

I was going to run this year's race in March but my cardiac consultant strongly advised me not too.

Last week's operation answered a lot of my questions and made me happier about the immediate future.

I intend to prepare properly for the half marathon and not take any chances with my health. 

I will be fundraising for Prostate Cancer UK, one of my main reasons for wanting to do this.  I owe them a lot (for creating this community site for one).

Steve

User
Posted 13 Nov 2015 at 00:53

Good on you Steve.
It's always good to have an objective.
I'm sure your training will take your mind off things but take it easy.

I'm trying to get back into training (I'll probably aim for the Leeds half marathon in April/May)
I'm struggling to get fit again so have started with walk/hikes and have just completed 10.5 miles followed by a hot bath with Epsom salts to sooth my aching legs. I hope to do a 4-6 miler on Sunday. So what I'm saying is start slow.

I'm sure you will get some coaching hints from nidge and irun for your training.

I wish you the best in your training and look forward to reading how you're doing.

All the best Paul

User
Posted 13 Nov 2015 at 05:30

to right healey re some tips
first one is stop taking the hot baths after a run, they make the blood flow to fast you should be taking cold/tepid baths these help
slow down the blood flow and help you heal recover better

steve nice and easy for a start you have 16 good weeks of training ahead, would suggest use the next few weeks getting your legs used to a bit more physical activity, try some cross training get out on a bike if you have one on some days, it is about getting a bit of time into your legs the mileage will come later
a good start would be doing a park run these are 5k runs free to enter you just need a bar code off their site

am here if you need me to help build a training plan

nidge

run long and prosper

User
Posted 13 Nov 2015 at 07:30
Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

to right healey re some tips
first one is stop taking the hot baths after a run, they make the blood flow to fast you should be taking cold/tepid baths these help
slow down the blood flow and help you heal recover better

steve nice and easy for a start you have 16 good weeks of training ahead, would suggest use the next few weeks getting your legs used to a bit more physical activity, try some cross training get out on a bike if you have one on some days, it is about getting a bit of time into your legs the mileage will come later
a good start would be doing a park run these are 5k runs free to enter you just need a bar code off their site

am here if you need me to help build a training plan

nidge

Thanks also Nidge

I forgot you'd mentioned this before although the bath did stop the aches for me and was nice and relaxing but I must remember next time to go tepid for better results.

Cheers Paul

User
Posted 13 Nov 2015 at 08:04
Hi Steve

Good to hear that you have a target to aim for. It's good to have a plan but listen to what your body tells you as you progress

All the best

Arthur

User
Posted 13 Nov 2015 at 08:43

Good for you Steve.

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 13 Nov 2015 at 09:38

Brilliant, Steve. Good to have something to aim for and glad you are more reassured about the heart procedures !

Fiona x

User
Posted 13 Nov 2015 at 09:46

Steve,

That's a great challenge you've set yourself, good on ya! Inspirational!

Flexi

User
Posted 13 Nov 2015 at 11:45
S

Good for you to get back on track, but do not put yourself under unnecessary pressure, and listen to your body.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 15 Nov 2015 at 10:36

Thanks everyone for your encouraging replies.

Nidge, not too keen on the idea of a cold or tepid bath.  I would try it but with my heart condition, five of my heart meds are to try and keep my blood flowing freely to prevent chest pains.  I'll have to check with my cardiac rehab nurse before trying this.

I have to admit, one of the nicest feelings is laying in a warm bath, following a run, knowing that you have done something to benefit your fitness, another small step towards achieving your goal.

Steve

User
Posted 20 Nov 2015 at 09:53
Hi,

Just a quick update, our second grandchild is now 10 days overdue.

This is not good for my heart!

Steve

User
Posted 20 Nov 2015 at 10:32

My little soldier was 12 days late , and even then he refused to come out !! But like a true Scots lass my wife insisted , and out he came all 8 1/2 pounds .
I'm sure all will be fine Steve -- bet you cant wait

User
Posted 20 Nov 2015 at 10:57
Hi Chris,

The baby will be induced on Sunday if it doesn't arrive by then.

I told my daughter-in-law to do star jumps but she wasn't keen on the idea!

Steve

User
Posted 20 Nov 2015 at 15:21
Steve

Don't know about star jumps but I'll bet you'll be jumping up and down when the baby arrives

Hope all goes well

Arthur

User
Posted 20 Nov 2015 at 21:10

S

I thought it was a hot curry that was supposed to bring on labour ?

Love Chris & Dawn

User
Posted 20 Nov 2015 at 22:31

a hot curry and an orgasm are the best combo

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 22 Nov 2015 at 03:56
Hi,

There's one method that worked well when our own children were overdue but I won't mention it in case I upset some people on here.

Fun though.

Steve

User
Posted 22 Nov 2015 at 23:06

Hi,

Latest news from my son is that they are staying in the hospital until the baby arrives (12 days late now).

Nothing much happening yet in spite of my daughter-in-law being induced this afternoon.

Will find it hard to sleep tonight.

Steve

User
Posted 23 Nov 2015 at 04:44

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

a hot curry and an orgasm are the best combo

I know what the 1st bit is but whatever is the 2nd bit especially the one beginning with O  http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-frown.gif

nidge

run long and prosper

User
Posted 23 Nov 2015 at 07:51

I think she mis-spelt organism surely !!

Steve all the very best today. Keep us in touch. And don't forget your camera

User
Posted 23 Nov 2015 at 09:19

Hi,

She's now in the delivery suite.

Steve

User
Posted 23 Nov 2015 at 09:52

That is one hell of a curry :-)

Fingers crossed Steve :-)

User
Posted 26 Nov 2015 at 17:54
Hi,

Had my latest PSA Test this morning.

Nervous wait now until Tuesday when I see my oncologist and find out the results.

Steve

User
Posted 27 Nov 2015 at 22:32

Good luck with the results Steve.

Just catching up with all the posts. Have I missed that the new grandchild is here?

My first child was so overdue he was covered in "fur" (at least that's the reason the two midwives gave me when I overheard them discussing how overdue he was)

I couldn't bathe him for over a week, just oil him util the "fur" came off

User
Posted 28 Nov 2015 at 00:47
Hi Sandra,

Welcome back.

Sorry, I announced the birth on a separate thread "Wonderful News".

I know you've found that now but thought anyone else reading this may be wondering what happened if they hadn't seen the other thread. It's been a bit of a busy week so I haven't had time to keep up with things.

Steve xx

User
Posted 09 Dec 2015 at 02:38

Hi,

Sometimes certain daily routines act as a constant reminder that my life has changed forever.

I know I should try to forget about my health situation and try to carry on and live to the full, but it can be difficult at times.  Going from being blissfully unaware that I had anything wrong with me to a life where I now take 15 medications a day (plus Zoladex stomach implants every twelve weeks), can get you down sometimes.  I've just worked out that that means I take 455 medications a month and 5460 per year.  A scary thought.

But, as everyone here would remind me, if they keep me alive and well, it's all worthwhile.  I'm very grateful to be given that chance.

Steve

Edited by member 09 Dec 2015 at 08:37  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 17 Dec 2015 at 00:57

Hi,

Managed to get through my latest (and penultimate) Zoladex implant this morning with little of the prolonged bleeding I suffered last time.  Had to see two GP's because the first said he wasn't sure if he could do it right.  He obviously didn't want to do it wrong with it costing £235 per injection.

Steve

User
Posted 17 Dec 2015 at 08:58

Well glad it went well for you Steve.

Playing Devil's advocate here a bit but maybe it was that the GP didn't want to cause you any more and un-necessary trauma rather than the cost involved.

Personally I'd err on the charitable side (but then it is leading up to Christmas !!)

User
Posted 24 Dec 2015 at 02:38
Hi,

May I wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Steve x

User
Posted 24 Dec 2015 at 07:40

Steve
I hope you too have a Happy Christmas and New Year.

My wife and I are this year at our eldest daughters house together with our other daughter, son and all our 5 grandchildren so it should be quite an event. I usually play Santa (f have bought an outfit this year) and distribute the presesents from under the tree.

I'm throwing out my diet for a week and going to pog my self and have a few drinks of wine and take a few Jack Daniels and 7ups.

No PCa at Christmas

Have the best Christmas you can you and everyone

My love to you all.

Paul

User
Posted 24 Dec 2015 at 07:56
Happy Xmas Steve and happy birthday?

Hope you have a stress free and chilled time.

Kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 24 Dec 2015 at 09:48
Steve

Have a good, happy but uneventful Xmas and New year.

Love Chris & Dawn

User
Posted 24 Dec 2015 at 10:19
Happy Birthday Steve,

Best wishes to you and your family for Christmas

Arthur

User
Posted 24 Dec 2015 at 11:42

Merry xmas Steve and many happy returns

Bri

User
Posted 24 Dec 2015 at 13:03

Merry Christmas Steve

Luther

User
Posted 24 Dec 2015 at 13:09

Many Happy Returns Steve and many more of them.

Merry Christmas too

User
Posted 25 Dec 2015 at 00:10

Happy Christmas birthday Steve x

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 25 Dec 2015 at 03:01

happy birthday and a very merry Christmas by the sound of it
will raise a glass to you all at dinner

regards
nidge

run long and prosper

User
Posted 25 Dec 2015 at 07:47

Birthday Boy !! Double whammy.
All the best Steve
Chris

User
Posted 29 Jan 2016 at 22:53

Hi,

Just to let the person know who was trying to contact me, my mailbox is now cleared.

Steve

User
Posted 30 Jan 2016 at 13:46

Hi Steve
Was'nt me but how are you doing anyhow, haven't heard from you for a while

Paul

User
Posted 30 Jan 2016 at 17:15
Badly, no place to turn. Not sure what to do.
User
Posted 30 Jan 2016 at 18:12
What's up?
User
Posted 30 Jan 2016 at 19:28

Hi Steve,
A problem halved is a problem shared, my whole life has always been wrong way round 
Best Barry

Edited by member 30 Jan 2016 at 19:29  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 30 Jan 2016 at 20:58
Hi Steve

Youve changed your photo.

How are you getting on?

Let us know what's on your mind, someone may be able to help.

Alison

User
Posted 30 Jan 2016 at 22:50
Come on Steve - you've supported loads of people on this site including me - let us help and support you now

Arthur

User
Posted 31 Jan 2016 at 15:05
Thanks for your messages, they do help.