Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Drop In PSA

User
Posted 16 Sep 2015 at 17:51

Hi all,

Not sure how to proceed after my latest PSA results which were good - a drop from 6.6 in April to 4.2

Very happy about it but a bit confused because the latest test was via the NHS and all I got was a text message with the result. It is worth going back to my consultant (private) with this or wait for another test in 6 to 12 months?

By the way, been on double strenght pomegranate and vitamin D for the last six months not sure if this has helped.

Thanks in advance.

User
Posted 16 Sep 2015 at 19:28

A drop in PSA is to be welcomed - good news!

I would want to know though why it was 6.6 in the first place and the reason for the drop.. So, might be worth dropping your consultant a note.

If it was due to drinking pomegranate juice and vitamin D I'm sure there are a lot of researchers out there who would be interested in hearing about it!

Flexi

User
Posted 17 Sep 2015 at 00:42

Hi Yummy,
if your consultant had wanted to be involved I suspect he would have been arranging the PSA test and taking the opportunity to have a private (& therefore chargeable) consultation with you. As it is, your biopsy was clear and the consultant signed you off his books so the new PSA score is reassuring - just have your next test in 6 months (or 3 months - whichever you were advised). If it rises in the future, I expect your GP would re-refer you at that time.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 17 Sep 2015 at 10:02

Yummy

You have a prostate so PSA will vary.

You might have some BPH so PSA will vary

To me a non supplement or pom drinker they seem more feasible reasons for PSA fluctuations. But yes keep checking that PSA at a frequency that suits you and or GP.

Ray

User
Posted 17 Sep 2015 at 16:53

@flexi

That is precisely why I want to contact my consultant a 2.4 drop in six months seems significant.

@LynEyre

You have a point regarding my consultant and I was wondering why despite a couple of attempts to contact him, he hasn't responded. Looks he is has signed me off but it would have been good to have known.