I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Referred to a Urologist

User
Posted 22 Oct 2015 at 16:42
Hi Everyone, new to the site and a bit concerned what lies ahead. I had testicular cancer in 1999, pure seminoma, the testicle was removed and I was under observation for a further 6 years by the Christie Hospital in Manchester, no further treatment other than the surgery was necessary. As years have passed I have developed an increasing need to go,to the toilet, and because of my previous brush with cancer I have been having regular PSA checks.....the figure has increased slowly over the years and is now at 6. My Doctor did a DRE and said the the left side of the prostate felt a little firmer than the right but in her opinion all was well, but just to be sure she would refer me to a Urologist for further opinion. What do you think the Urologist will suggest in my circumstances, should I have a biopsy if it is only offered to put my mind at rest?...or should I continue with PSA and DRE checks?....any informed comment would be appreciated....thanks....
User
Posted 22 Oct 2015 at 18:12

Hi Paul,

I had testicular cancer many many years ago and still remember going through the check ups, month after month, year after year.

When my PSA came back at 4.6, although the prostate felt normal (from a DRE), my GP still referred me to a urologist.  The urologist repeated the DRE, confirmed it felt normal and gave me the option of repeating the PSA test in 3 months or having a biopsy.

Due to my history, I went for the biopsy. I'm glad I did.

Flexi

Edited by member 22 Oct 2015 at 18:15  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 22 Oct 2015 at 19:30

Hi Paul, sorry that you find yourself in this situation but you have come to the right site for help and advice. There are lots of people that will be able to give the benefit of their experience and although I have PCa and not been in the same position as yourself I would hope that, for your sake, your doctor and/or urologist will send you to have an MRI and a bone scan.

I say this because not all cancers are found just by doing a biopsy and the scans will be able to tell if there is an area in your prostate that requires further investigation and if it does then a targeted biopsy can be done which has a higher chance of finding cancer cells if they are there rather than a random biopsy that can show nothing but prove nothing.

Best of luck, keep pushing for what is best for you as the system can be slow in the NHS as you probably know already.

Ask any questions that you feel you need to ask on this site as nothing is out of bounds and there will be help and positive advice from those that have been there or those that just know.

Regards Chris/ Woody

Life seems different upside down, take another viewpoint