I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

What next.

User
Posted 01 Nov 2015 at 11:51

Hi im 65 yrs old,post De Vinci 8 days,catheter removal in 3 days time,blood test&review in 6 wks.whats the next phase like,or is the answer"its different"for everyone,i guess its how good the attachment was repaired&good muscle tone in pelvic floor,would appreaciate any advice.

Regards.

Pbear 2.

User
Posted 01 Nov 2015 at 13:31
Hi Pb2,

I'm afraid you're right, post catheter removal it does seem to be different for everyone. I leaked a bit, suffered from several urinary infections and wasn't too chipper. Others have fared better, others unfortunately worse. My only advice would be to take your recovery slowly, wear a tena pad, don't expect anything from the old chap, take your clexane injections and eat well!

Flexi

User
Posted 01 Nov 2015 at 14:03

Hi
I'm 48 , operated on in June. Was virtually fully continent from the moment the catheter was removed. A few squirts here and there and had to cut down on liquid intake in the evenings. 99.9% continent at 10?weeks. Still 100% impotent at 17 weeks post-op. I do pelvic floor exercises everyday whether I need to or not. I just did what I was told !! Very best wishes on removal. It doesn't hurt , just strange
Chris

User
Posted 01 Nov 2015 at 21:10
PB2

Make sure the catheter comes out slow and gentle, mine got stuck part way out and was pulled out with a bit a force. My surgeon is convinced the trauma caused my sticture issues.

4 days post catheter removal I was almost dry.

Good luck with your recovery.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 02 Nov 2015 at 16:13

Thankyou one&all for your advice,what are clexane injections&are they prescribed.
Regards
Polarbear 2

User
Posted 02 Nov 2015 at 16:21

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member

Thankyou one&all for your advice,what are clexane injections&are they prescribed.
Regards
Polarbear 2

Hi polarbear2

Clexane is prescribed by some hospitals ( not all ) after prostate surgery to help prevent blood clots occurring
( it is regarded as major surgery )  .... You will be issued with a bag of goodies on discharge..... it's not so bad as it sounds to inject yourself.... you may be instructed to wear surgical stockings for a few weeks after also..

Luther

* edited *    Sorry didn't realise you have already had the op! 

Edited by member 02 Nov 2015 at 16:35  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 02 Nov 2015 at 17:09

Polar Bear2,

there is no one size fits all, everyone's recovery time and surgery are different, It can be a very long road with many bumps or a short one, or even somewhere between , much depends on the serverity of the cancer they find once they get up close and personal on the surgery table,

the anti coagulant can be self administered...having tried my legs, and abdomen I found sticking it in my Ass worked well...you do get used to it but you wont love it !

it should be available via NHS prescription or they may well give you a months supply when leaving hospital, I did'nt enjoy the socks or the catheter, but I did'nt enjoy being diagnosed either ! found the pelvic exercises a waste of time personally

I wish you luck ,  take care of yourself

User
Posted 02 Nov 2015 at 18:45

As Polarbear had the op 9 days ago, I think it has to be assumed he wasn't given any injections to self-administer.

Don't worry Polarbear; in some areas the hospitals give them to everyone after major surgery, in other areas they are only given to men who are at high risk of blood clots.

Sadly not all hospitals give out bags of goodies either so I would take some Tena for Men pads to hospital with you when you go to have the catheter removed. You can get Tena pads at most supermarkets but make sure you get the men's pads not women's.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 03 Nov 2015 at 11:47

Sorry i think i misled you all,i was given the stockings&prescribed Fragmin to inject prior to discharge,thanks for advice on the incontinance pads.I also recieved a letter yesterday saying i qualified for an ED pump,it said all this would be discussed at my 6 week review on December 4th.Ive heard Ciallis is good for blood flow,would that be the time to mention that.
Good luck to all&i will update you all as i go on,hope thats ok.

Regards

Polarbear 2.