Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PC and Shingles

User
Posted 09 Nov 2015 at 07:19

Morning everyone.

Well I've gone back onto Hormone treatment now....28 days of Bicaltumide with my first Hormone injection half way through that in mid October.

The Bicaltumide left me feeling sick every day.....and two days before my first injection on Monday 12th October I got Shingles... I've had a really bad bout of it and still suffering now into the 5th week.

It's in my 'nether regions' resulting in severe pain and rashes, difficulty in urinating, sitting and laying down, etc etc.

I've seen or spoken to the Doctor 6 times over this period for different tablets and creams.

I am at the Doctors this morning for another Prostap injection, PSA test and Flu jab....

We think that the Shingles has attacked the part of my body where I had Radiotherapy in 2009/2010.

So, has anyone any ideas or theories on this and has anyone suffered Shingles with Prostate Cancer ?

It may be that the Shingles has been brought on by the stress of going back on Hormone treatment again and the thought of the usual side effects.

My PSA was going up quickly in the past 12 months and was 11 when last checked in early September resulting in my Oncologist putting me back on treatment and re-scans including Body and CT scans.

The CT scan was clear. The Body scan was inconclusive due to 3 patches on my ribs which were unexplainable but the Oncologist said they were not 'hot' and he was happy to continue with the treatment plan.

I see him next in early February.

I would appreciate any comments, advice etc.

Thanks for reading this update on my personal story.

regards to all

Dave.

User
Posted 09 Nov 2015 at 11:06
Hello Dayo

I was diagnosed with PCa in January 2013 and I had shingles last year, it was on my face around an eye. I was told that when your immune system is low you are more susceptible to contracting it. I had a course of tablets for a week but it took a few more weeks to clear up, I had to stay away from children who hadn't had chicken pox other than the discomfort life carried on fairly normally.

Best wishes

Arthur

User
Posted 09 Nov 2015 at 11:28

Hello Dave, just to say sorry for your problems. I know that shingles can be horrendously painful so I do feel for you.

Good luck at the next appointment. Hope they can sort something out for you

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 09 Nov 2015 at 18:06

Hi Dave, sorry to hear that you not only battling PCa but now suffering from shingles.

I have no experience of shingles but hope that you respond to treatment quickly.

Best wishes, Chris/Woody

Life seems different upside down, take another viewpoint

User
Posted 09 Nov 2015 at 19:09

Hi Dave,

I also believe shingles can be brought on by stress and and the immune system being low. It can be very debilitating as I know having had it twice (before PCa diagnosis). Whilst having my annual check up at my local surgery, I was asked if I wanted an injection to hopefully stop another occurrence and I gladly accepted.

Barry
User
Posted 09 Nov 2015 at 19:31

Hi Dave
Sorry to hear you are going through this. It's horrible and painful to the extreme.
Stress is an enormous trigger and was my reason probably !! I had Chickenpox twice as a kid and shingles at 21 , my entire right breast , armpit and back. I was a marine engineer in a boiler suit on the equator , and by god it wasn't nice so my thoughts are with you. All the very best for recovery.
Chris