Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

living with incontinence

User
Posted 02 Dec 2015 at 20:31

living with incontinence ...

post prostatectomy, how long can a man suffer having his scrotum sitting it a urine soaked pad 24 hours a day?

After 6 years the pain and discomfort is, at times, unbearable. What am I doing wrong? Surely there's a cream, a painkiller of sorts. I've considered castration.

User
Posted 02 Dec 2015 at 22:24
How awful for you Old Mucker. There is a treatment (someone will correct me on the precise details) called AUS which can help some people. Has anyone suggested this to you?

Best wishes

Allison

User
Posted 02 Dec 2015 at 22:25

Could I suggest a Coloplast sheath and leg bag? It won't help the incontinence but would have the effect of keeping you dry to keep the chafing and soreness to a minimum. These should be available via your GP on prescription.

At a more extreme level, I have just had an artificial sphincter fitted, and it works....

Edited by member 02 Dec 2015 at 22:27  | Reason: Not specified

Tony

TURP then LRP in 2009/2010. Lots of leakage but PSA < 0.1 AMS-800 Artificial Sphincter activated 2015.

User
Posted 02 Dec 2015 at 23:17
Old mucker

I have only been incontinent for a few weeks and it is already getting me down so six years must be a nightmare. I am seeing my incontinence nurse tomorrow and will be pushing for the coloplast solution. It is on their list of products but not sure if it is available on the NHS. It does seem strange that the norm to be offered is a pad that as you indicate leaves you sitting in your own urine.

I seem to remember at the start of my journey reading that Urology consultants had an obligation to look after us long term, not to just get rid of the cancer and leave us to live with the aftermath.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 02 Dec 2015 at 23:32

Great result for you Tony, sorry to see you are suffering OM.

dave

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 03 Dec 2015 at 00:16

Hi old mucker, are you using a good quality pad and changing them often enough? Your skin should be dry not damp.

What have you done so far? Have you been referred to the incontinence clinic for your area? If not, ask the GP for a referral now!

Conveen sheaths seem to get good comments on here and may be your next step; before considering surgery you would really need a medical assessment of what is causing the incontinence.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 03 Dec 2015 at 09:17

Hello Old Mucker and welcome.

I too am surprised that the pads are leaving you damp as I thought they were one way.

In the short term (until you can get a coveen - although I'm pretty sure I've seen these for sale) have you considered a good nappy cream (Drapolene) since that is designed to protect the soft skin in a baby's bum from chaffing.

Just checked Drapolene on the net and the following is a quote

"Relief of nappy rash and help for prevention of nappy rash, relief of urinary dermatitis in adults and as an adjunct to patient care hygiene for the prevention of urinary dermatitis
Symptomatic relief of minor burns, limited sunburn and the effects of weather

It might help perhaps

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 03 Dec 2015 at 10:34

A quick tip on pads. Following my sphincter implant back in October (i.e. before activation) I was very tender in the area under my scrotum and as I was leaking even more than before, pads were getting soaked rapidly and were chafing. I was using Abri Man, and they are very long. I found that folding the lower section back on itself reduced the chafing considerably but still managed to catch the leak

NB Pads should not be cut - that destroys the seal and nullifies the effect.

Tony

TURP then LRP in 2009/2010. Lots of leakage but PSA < 0.1 AMS-800 Artificial Sphincter activated 2015.

User
Posted 03 Dec 2015 at 15:44

Hi

Saw the incontinence nurse today and I am going to get the coloplast /conveen equipment. Our urology department are not keen on them  as some guys use them as a long term solution to incontinence. As mentioned by L, bladder retraining classes  are available and the nurse has given me an leaflet to get started. Why do we get more info from members than the professionals ?   

One of the obvious things was to cut out caffeine, but it does say to do it gradually.

Old mucker I Hope you can find a solution to your own situation.

Thanks Chris  

User
Posted 06 Dec 2015 at 11:43

Thanks everyone for your replies/concerns. The situation can be thoroughly depressing at times … funny how I soon accepted all the inconveniences but not the discomfort. I guess I was feeling thoroughly fed up when posting the above opener the other night.

User
Posted 06 Dec 2015 at 11:47

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
How awful for you Old Mucker. There is a treatment (someone will correct me on the precise details) called AUS which can help some people. Has anyone suggested this to you?

Best wishes
Allison

Thanks Allison ... I've been through two failed attempts to fit a sling, and more recently had the AUS explained to me, and been told I just need to give them the OK.

User
Posted 06 Dec 2015 at 11:49

Could I suggest a Coloplast sheath and leg bag? It won't help the incontinence but would have the effect of keeping you dry to keep the chafing and soreness to a minimum. These should be available via your GP on prescription.

At a more extreme level, I have just had an artificial sphincter fitted, and it works....

Thanks Tony ... hmmm I'll think about the sheath. And as mentioned about, I know the AUS is an option ready & waiting.

User
Posted 06 Dec 2015 at 11:52

Old mucker

I have only been incontinent for a few weeks and it is already getting me down so six years must be a nightmare. I am seeing my incontinence nurse tomorrow and will be pushing for the coloplast solution. It is on their list of products but not sure if it is available on the NHS. It does seem strange that the norm to be offered is a pad that as you indicate leaves you sitting in your own urine.
I seem to remember at the start of my journey reading that Urology consultants had an obligation to look after us long term, not to just get rid of the cancer and leave us to live with the aftermath.

Thanks Chris

Thanks Chris for your input. Interesting what you say about the Urology consultants obligations.

User
Posted 06 Dec 2015 at 11:58

Hi old mucker, are you using a good quality pad and changing them often enough? Your skin should be dry not damp.

What have you done so far? Have you been referred to the incontinence clinic for your area? If not, ask the GP for a referral now!

Conveen sheaths seem to get good comments on here and may be your next step; before considering surgery you would really need a medical assessment of what is causing the incontinence.

Hi Lyn ... I get 5 pads a day delivered by the NHS, plus Cavilon barrier cream plus Hydrocortisone 1% which everyone but my GP seems to think should not be use on a regular permanent basis. Conveen? Thanks, I bear that in mind.

User
Posted 06 Dec 2015 at 12:01

Hello Old Mucker and welcome.

I too am surprised that the pads are leaving you damp as I thought they were one way.

In the short term (until you can get a coveen - although I'm pretty sure I've seen these for sale) have you considered a good nappy cream (Drapolene) since that is designed to protect the soft skin in a baby's bum from chaffing.

Just checked Drapolene on the net and the following is a quote

"Relief of nappy rash and help for prevention of nappy rash, relief of urinary dermatitis in adults and as an adjunct to patient care hygiene for the prevention of urinary dermatitis
Symptomatic relief of minor burns, limited sunburn and the effects of weather

It might help perhaps

Hello Johsan ... and thanks ... Drapolene, sounds like another name worth knowing.

User
Posted 06 Dec 2015 at 12:04

A quick tip on pads. Following my sphincter implant back in October (i.e. before activation) I was very tender in the area under my scrotum and as I was leaking even more than before, pads were getting soaked rapidly and were chafing. I was using Abri Man, and they are very long. I found that folding the lower section back on itself reduced the chafing considerably but still managed to catch the leak

NB Pads should not be cut - that destroys the seal and nullifies the effect.

Tony ... Abri Man, just googled that and sounds most interesting, cheers.

EDIT ... Tony, I'm not quite sure I know what you mean, how folding the lower section back on itself reduced the chafing.

Are you able to tell me which pad in the following link you were using: http://www.abena.co.uk/Pads_for_Men.aspx?ID=15361

In the past I've experimented, unsuccessfully, with trying to separate my penis and scrotum with a fold/ridge in the pad. And I've often though someone should design a pad that allows this. I dream of being able to bath, dry myself and apply talc to my scrotum, then wear a pad that allows the leaked urine to soak into parts that are completely isolated from the scrotal compartment.

Edited by member 06 Dec 2015 at 14:00  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 09 Dec 2015 at 21:37
Try something simple like sudocream. It's messy, but if it keeps baby's bottoms dry, it might work
User
Posted 09 Dec 2015 at 23:53

5 NHS pads per day - that might be your problem. Have you tried buying some decent quality ones from the supermarket to see whether they are more comfortable? Try a few different ones -TENA men and the Boots own brand seem most popular - and then if they seem better, look at how they could be made more affordable.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 10 Dec 2015 at 04:17

I was using Abri Man Formula 2 - chose those because they are better in preventing you slipping out of the side (problem I had with Tena). However, Abri Man extend well down under the scrotum so I was doing what I think you have tried already in folding the lower section back on itself, adhesive strip to adhesive strip.

Conveen/Coloplast does sound the better solution though... They are available from the NHS in Wales. Even in England should be free of charge.

NB, if anyone can come up with a solution for managing incontinence that is a) comfortable to use, b)works infallibly c) does not involve surgery, d) allows the use of the stalls in the gents' loo without extensive undressing, in fact returns exactly to the pre-operation state, they will be rich beyond measure...

Edited by member 10 Dec 2015 at 09:43  | Reason: Not specified

Tony

User
Posted 10 Dec 2015 at 13:30

Try something simple like sudocream. It's messy, but if it keeps baby's bottoms dry, it might work

thanks Louise, it is messy but yes perhaps I should be looking at different types of barrier cream.

User
Posted 10 Dec 2015 at 14:29

5 NHS pads per day - that might be your problem. Have you tried buying some decent quality ones from the supermarket to see whether they are more comfortable? Try a few different ones -TENA men and the Boots own brand seem most popular - and then if they seem better, look at how they could be made more affordable.

Hi Lyn ... I used to used Tena pads (on the NHS), not Tena men, they're not big enough for the seriously incontinent, I currently use Attends (on the NHS), they're a nice shape. But yes, maybe one should consider what's in them that might cause a bad reaction. Manufacturers should be developing some better designs for men, ones that isolate the scrotum. 

You mentioned earlier about establishing what type of incontinence, well it's a type not normally mentioned by doctors & nurses: caused by damage done in surgery. In my case a damaged sphincter.

User
Posted 10 Dec 2015 at 14:38

I was using Abri Man Formula 2 - chose those because they are better in preventing you slipping out of the side (problem I had with Tena). However, Abri Man extend well down under the scrotum so I was doing what I think you have tried already in folding the lower section back on itself, adhesive strip to adhesive strip.

Conveen/Coloplast does sound the better solution though... They are available from the NHS in Wales. Even in England should be free of charge.

NB, if anyone can come up with a solution for managing incontinence that is a) comfortable to use, b)works infallibly c) does not involve surgery, d) allows the use of the stalls in the gents' loo without extensive undressing, in fact returns exactly to the pre-operation state, they will be rich beyond measure...

Thanks again Tony

User
Posted 10 Dec 2015 at 17:51
Hi

Saw the coloplast/ conveen nurse today and get my supplies Monday or Tuesday next week. Got a bollocking for using additional protection with the pads. Some interesting things came up, who did your assessment on which pads to use ? No one I got the pads before my operation.

Did you know the contents of tenna pads are non toxic in case less able people try to eat them.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 10 Dec 2015 at 18:24

Good Lord!!!!

User
Posted 10 Dec 2015 at 22:44
Hi

Did you know the contents of tenna pads are non toxic in case less able people try to eat them.

Thanks Chris

Please tell me you made this up?

User
Posted 11 Dec 2015 at 07:24

Been leaking for about three years, know how how you feel I prefer to leak rather than retention, went down the AUS route ,looks like thats be forgotten now that PSA on the rise other probs to worry about 

I get through between 6/8 pads a day, I just buy kiddies ones 56 for about £4.50  from ALD@@s

and wear tight pants,

hope things get better for you

People who dont leak dont know what we go through

User
Posted 11 Dec 2015 at 11:02

Hi

Thanks Chris

Please tell me you made this up?

Before she retired my wife used to work with people who have both physical and learning disabilities  ......... 

I can assure you that some, given the chance, will eat anything including their own faeces....

So it is a requirement to ensure as far as possible that products like Tenna are non toxic should they be ingested....

Luther 

Edited by member 11 Dec 2015 at 11:03  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 11 Dec 2015 at 13:27

Why does this spring to mind?....

Tommy Cooper "Last night I dreamt I ate a ten pound marshmallow. When I woke up the pillow was gone"

Edited by member 11 Dec 2015 at 13:30  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 11 Dec 2015 at 14:36

I think what eventually pushed me over the edge was changing my little granddaughter's nappy (not easy, when you do it on your own - normally takes two people to hold her down and to stop her putting her feet, hands and everything else into the mess), then as a result of the exertion, having to rush upstairs to the bedroom to change my own nappy.

Tony

User
Posted 18 Dec 2015 at 11:56

The worst option for me was incontinence ,which I was for about two weeks after my catheter was pulled out. The hospital gave me a few pads but I didn't like them at all. My personal and best solution was a sheath, a plastic tube and a urine container strapped to my lower leg. I tried the sticky sheaths, but never, never again! It was so painful trying to get them off. My fault, I don't follow instruction leaflets, not in my nature as my wife reminds me! In the end I washed and powdered the sheaths to get rid of all traces of the sticky stuff and once done I just put them on like a durex.

I experimented and poked a pencil sized hole through my underpants, poked the tube in and connected it to the sheath. For me this was important because my penis could then lay in its natural position, the position I have used all my life and as my father in law reminded me, if it works don't change it! It did work very well, my penis was comfortable, my penis was supported by my underwear and most importantly I no longer had to worry about my incontinence.

The urine bag was comfortably secured to my lower limb. I had to experiment a second time to ensure that the plastic tube was as comfortable as possible down my leg, in the end it was 'S' shaped which meant I could walk comfortably. Within a few days I was hardly aware of its existence. Luckily my incontinence passed and I am now functioning ok.

User
Posted 17 Jan 2016 at 19:11

After 6 months I was given 5 pads a day from the nhs It took a lot of shouting but it was worth now 11 months after my operation I can go days with just 1 pad during the day and 1 over night sometimes they are just slightly damp other days they can be wet . But if I have to wear them foe life I am living.

So keep waiting , excericising and remember to live.

User
Posted 05 Mar 2016 at 10:30

Hi,
Pads on the NHS? I have never been offered these. Are they arranged or prescribed by the GP or the consultant? I end up with wet scrotum and would like to change a pad more often due to the cost. I use Tenna or Boots own brand which are ok but it's still no fun being someone who wets their pants!
Any suggestions on requesting NHS pads?

User
Posted 05 Mar 2016 at 11:05

Hi,
Pads on the NHS? I have never been offered these. Are they arranged or prescribed by the GP or the consultant? I end up with wet scrotum and would like to change a pad more often due to the cost. I use Tenna or Boots own brand which are ok but it's still no fun being someone who wets their pants!
Any suggestions on requesting NHS pads?

Hi Topertone

You can try asking your incontinence nurse if you have one...or even your GP..

I'm pretty sure it's down to the 'post code lottery' again....

I'm not sure if there is a criteria to be met in order to get them... eg.. you have to leak a certain volume per day  etc.. ?

I've never had any help with pads despite several requests.......always had to buy 'em myself......

At least buying them myself I can choose which pads I use and not have to use the bog standard pads that are issued at hospitals.

There are others on this site who have had 'lorry loads' delivered without even asking for them! 

Good Luck!
Luther

User
Posted 05 Mar 2016 at 11:22

Hello Topertone and welcome to the site.

As Luther says, it can be a postcode lottery and maybe they are not issued FOC in your area but make enquiries of your GP and if he isn't prepared to fund them then ask for a referral to and Incontinence clinic.

Don't ask - don't get (although in a perfect world it shouldn't be your responsibility to chase them, they should be offered)

I hope they can help you anyway

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 05 Mar 2016 at 14:56
T

As some have mentioned it's a post code lottery. I was one of the lucky ones to receive the lorry load without asking, well 180 tenna2 pads before my op. Things are changing slightly in our area, but if you were registered with a GP in the area you can refer yourself to our local incontinence service.

You may not wish to answer, and that is not a problem, but how much are you leaking per day and and how much at a time.

I assume you had surgery, if so how long ago.

Thanks Chris