I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Giving hope....

User
Posted 31 Dec 2015 at 15:51

Hello everybody, I'm a lady newbie on this site and I joined  because of my recent experience with my partner's prostate cancer.

The first thing that I would like to say is that I wish I had discovered this site and this community about nine months ago.

However,I didn't discover it until today and so, maybe I can help give the support to others that I lacked so badly in my own experience.

Also, life has many twists and turns and we can't be entirely sure when we may need support again.

I would also like to share some of the feelings that have been bottled up for the last year, as I feel I have maybe found an outlet for them and that people here will understand them.

So, my story:

In June 2014, at a late stage in life, I finally met 'the one'. I won't say 'the man of my dreams' because we are all too mature to be that romantic and maybe the events experienced by those on this website have knocked the romance out of us. Suffice it to say, that I began a relationship with a wonderful guy with so many good sides to his character that I thought all my Christmases had come at once. Summer 2014 was my best ever.

We had something of a whirlwind courtship, with lots of trips and weekends away and I moved in with him a year ago.

He is strong, and brave, and optimistic, and gave me encouragement and support with the M.A that I began in September'14.

However, right from the beginning, I felt that something was wrong with his health. Due to my own ignorance, I thought the signs pointed to diabetes, seven or so months into the relationship, I persuaded him to go for the health checks that men over 60 should get.

Eight months into the relationship, and their was the suspicion of prostate cancer, along with its symptoms and all the tests.

So, as I said, I could have really used  this site in 2015.

In June 2015, my partner was diagnosed with prostate cancer. And the summer of 2015 was the worst in my life. It sounds stupid to say this after only being with someone a year. Especially when people on this site are facing fears for someone they've been together with half a lifetime. But you have to understand the joy of being given the chance to build a relationship at a later age.

User
Posted 31 Dec 2015 at 23:07

Hi Sherbie
Your post so saddened me.
Losing intimacy seems to be a common result from this awful desease but hopefully only for a period but cuddles and love shouldn't stop.
Sounds to me like you should talk to your partner (or write) to tell him how you feel.
My wife once sent me a text in the middle of the night and I've written to her in the past explaining how I feel.
I don't know if this helps at all but I'm sure others will send you some words of help and support.

Paul

User
Posted 01 Jan 2016 at 15:52
Dear Sherbie

I understand that you feel like something has been 'stolen' from you, that being a full loving relationship before it has even started. You are scared too that you will lose your man. This is totally understandable and I am sure that everyone on here will understand that.

In some ways it is more difficult to handle this disease in a new relationship.

I have not read your profile, where you can give details of your partners illness, but maybe if you give us a few more details of this, then others could comment and give further support on this aspect, which in turn might help you.

All the best

Alison

User
Posted 01 Jan 2016 at 17:10

Hi Sherbie, sorry to see you here on this site but saying that it is the best site to be where you can air your views, problems and concerns. You will always get good advice from those on here that are involved with PCa especially from the OH's as you are one.

Life is a bummer when all seems to be rolling along smoothly and then all of a sudden it is derailed, makes you sit up and think.

Please do not feel sorry for yourself as there are so many folk on here that are in their own bad boat but still willing to contribute for the benefit of others. The best way is to stay positive, think about what is happening not what might happen.

You will need to give more details about your partners diagnosis ie PSA level, Gleason score, staging and if the cancer has spread. What treatment has been offered or started? What is the state of play?

Your experience is well worth sharing on here but I am sure there is something that will be suggested that will help you both.

Please keep posting so we can do our bit

Best wishes Chris/Woody

Life seems different upside down, take another viewpoint