I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Intro – Read this first!

User
Posted 06 Jan 2016 at 10:44

This is a section for gay and bisexual men, and other men who have sex with men (MSM) who also have prostate cancer. We know that there are a small number of support groups across the country specifically for gay and bisexual men with prostate cancer but we know that there will be men who will find it difficult to attend these groups. We also know that the vast majority of men attending general prostate cancer support groups identify as heterosexual. We want to create a space where men can talk about some of the issues that are important to them but they may not be able to share in a face to face group.

Who can post here?

This area is intended for gay and bisexual men. We're not blocking access for anyone else, but we respectfully ask those who don't self-identify as gay or bisexual or who aren't men who have sex with men not to post here. If posts are made that seem to be from others, please report them and we'll make changes as needed to keep the space focused on those it’s intended for.

Can I post the same question/ comment in more than one topic area?

Yes – Some discussions may be relevant in more than one topic area. However, you may wish to post in this section to easily be able to focus the discussion with others whose life experience/ circumstances currently most closely match yours.

Is there a need for this specific area?

We’re not sure, and that is why we are trialling it! We know that people benefit from sharing experiences and concerns with others who have similar experiences. We also know that support groups in the community only attract a very small proportion of men who identify themselves as gay or bisexual. This means that gay or bisexual men can sometimes feel that their own experiences in the group are quite different from the other members, particularly in relation to topics such as sex and relationships. Also, some men are not 'out' and therefore there may be topics they do not want to discuss in a face to face group.

Edited by member 08 Jun 2016 at 16:14  | Reason: Not specified