I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Dad's Diagnosis of Advanced Prostate Cancer

User
Posted 31 Jan 2016 at 00:39
Well, this is all a bit rubbish, isn't it?

Back in December we prompted dad to see his doc - he had been having a few problems retaining the contents of his bladder and had been spending a penny far more frequently than usual. Unfortunately, he'd had this symptom for quite some time, but we neglected to act sooner as we had put it down to the stroke he had back in 2012. The doc examined him and tested his PSA and on Christmas Eve he was referred to the urology department with a PSA of 5.8. 2 weeks later it was 6.2 and an MRI was ordered.

We received the results 2 days ago...

It's in the prostate, appears to have spread to the surrounding lymph nodes, and also the lungs.

What's next? A CT scan of the chest in under a week. A prostate biopsy in 2 weeks, and his first hormone injection. He has already started hormone tablets.

How do we feel? Like we're in limbo. The doc said there's no cure and we potentially have years, but they can't be certain yet.

Does anyone have experience with this stage of cancer? What should we expect? Also, has anyone any experience of being diagnosed at this late a stage with a relatively low PSA? My dad is 65 so his PSA should be around 4-5.

Thanks x

User
Posted 31 Jan 2016 at 11:33

Hi Trb

So sorry to hear about your Dad. Just as well you persuaded him to see the GP and his PSA was acted on. PCa is a very individual disease, impossible to generalise. High psa can be deceptive, doesnt always indicate if or how much the disease has spread. The biopsy is more likely to indicate how aggressive the tumour is if it comes back as 7, 8, 9 or 10 even then you may get a man with an aggressive tumour , eg Gleason 10 which hasnt spread outside the prostate. The more contained the tumour the more options available. My partner's PSa was only 6.4 but he had the most aggressive tumour and spread to bone , lymph and soft tissue. We have other men here who had very aggressive disease and low PSA, but this doesnt mean your Dad will be the same. There are lots of treatment options which your Dads medical team should discuss with him once all the investigation have been done. Good idea is to download PCUK Toolkit from the site which will help you understand the diagnostic tests, treatments, practical considerations etc. As for prognosis, again, impossible to generalise. We have men who have lived a decade with advanced disease and others who have succumbed very rapidly. Also depends on individual response to treatments.

Am sure there will be plenty of others along to add comments, Best wishes,

Fiona.

Edited by member 31 Jan 2016 at 11:34  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 31 Jan 2016 at 11:51

Hi Trb, the biopsy will tell them what kind of prostate cancer your dad has. There are some rare types that produce very little PSA and there are types that particularly like to spread to the lung rather than to bones or lymph nodes. Some of the rare types need a different kind of treatment as the hormone therapies don't work so well.

Once they have all the information from the different tests, it will be easier to make a treatment plan and start thinking about the prognosis.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 31 Jan 2016 at 12:28

Thanks for your responses girls - both of them are extremely helpful.

I suppose that, like everyone, we just have so many questions at this stage. We're all in shock as this has come so unexpectedly - just over a month ago we were stressing out because of his diabetes, blood pressure, and cellulitis (stemming from his diabetes). Now, we have to deal with this and it's quite a lot to comprehend. X

User
Posted 31 Jan 2016 at 12:46

Hello trb and welcome from me too.

~Yes, it is a rubbish situation to be in, and we all know how you feel.

There are a number of men (and their wives/partners) who have the experience you are asking about and two have aready answered you but I'm sure there will be others along too.

All the best
Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 31 Jan 2016 at 17:58

Thanks, Sandra.

Hopefully we'll know more in the coming weeks.

My sister and I had the pleasure of telling Dad's sister and brother today. It wasn't as horrendous as we had envisioned - they were so supportive and just wanted to do all they could to help. Of course, they were also devastated, but it's so reassuring to see how this kind of thing brings people together. x

User
Posted 31 Jan 2016 at 22:47
Hi trb

Sorry you're here. It is indeed rubbish.

I'm not sure if you are aware, but your father's brother, sons and nephews if he has any should all be given a psa test.

Better safe than sorry

Louise

User
Posted 01 Feb 2016 at 01:28

Hi Louise,

Thanks for your reply. I did mention to my uncle that he should make his GP aware of the situation. I must admit that I didn't think of my cousins as they are all in their early twenties. I guess we'll mention it once they are all aware of the situation x

User
Posted 20 Feb 2016 at 13:51
Just an update: We received Dad's biopsy results this week. Gleason 9. Meh.
User
Posted 20 Feb 2016 at 14:49

Hello trb, sorry the news wasn't better.

Was any mention made of a treatment plan or is dad still waiting on that?

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 20 Feb 2016 at 17:43

Does it say on the letter what kind of prostate cancer it is Trb? Adenocarcinoma? Small cell? Mucinous? Something else?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard