I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA Checks following RALP

User
Posted 01 Feb 2016 at 14:26
Just a bit of information that might be of interest to someone. Following RALP in August 2015 my first PSA test in November was 0.2 which Onco said was borderline for possibly starting RT or HTor both. Only problem was that they had no way of knowing where the cells were and so were unable to advise on best course of action. Also following surgery had Iincontinence issues that could have affected RT. We decided to wait for another PSA test in 6 weeks. The result in December was 0.3 but following a chat with Onco and some improvement with incontinence we decided that PSA could still level off or rise. We decided to go for another PSA in 6 weeks (today) and result was 0.3 again. Had a chat about this as it was mot quite high enough to put me on Falcon trial but was pointing towards cells being in the prostate bed in which case RT could be effective. Have decided to wait 9 weeks for one more PSA which confirm odds of cells being in prostate bed. If PSA rises to 0.4 or above he will suggest the Falcon trial followed by whichever the PET/CT scan suggests as the most appropriate treatment. I will let you know what the outcome is as it might be of interest to someone.

Kevan

User
Posted 01 Feb 2016 at 16:56
Kevan

Hi there I just wanted to say how wisely and calmly you seem to be dealing with everything. Have tests, get results and take on information, look carefully at options, do some research, discuss with medical team and have all questions answered, revisit the situaton and options, Make decision, share information.

Repeat process when necessary.

A methodology that keeps you firmly in control.

Well done that Man.

best wishes

xx

Mo

User
Posted 01 Feb 2016 at 14:48

Hi Kev
My post op PSA was 1.5 and four weeks later 2.4. I had a CholinePET when my PSA was about 2.2. It found nothing although they are sure I have spread , maybe even advanced PCa. However I am getting 33 RT in April in conjunction with HT I have been on 4 months. The Onco said wherever the cancer is he doesn't want a regrowth in the prostate area to happen. Sounds like you are doing ok though making a judged decision. Wishing you the best
Chris

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 01 Feb 2016 at 14:48

Hi Kev
My post op PSA was 1.5 and four weeks later 2.4. I had a CholinePET when my PSA was about 2.2. It found nothing although they are sure I have spread , maybe even advanced PCa. However I am getting 33 RT in April in conjunction with HT I have been on 4 months. The Onco said wherever the cancer is he doesn't want a regrowth in the prostate area to happen. Sounds like you are doing ok though making a judged decision. Wishing you the best
Chris

User
Posted 01 Feb 2016 at 15:25

Hi Chris

Thanks for your reply as is it is interesting to read of all the differing experiences that people have. It is has been reading these, coupled with information from the Tool Kit and the chats with the Onco that have helped give me more confidence to try to make an informed choice about progress and this has helped me to stay comfortable with what I think is right for me. The wealth of experience that so many on this site have is invaluable in helping newcomers like myself.

I wish you all the best for the future and will follow your progress.

Kind regards,

Kevan

User
Posted 01 Feb 2016 at 16:56
Kevan

Hi there I just wanted to say how wisely and calmly you seem to be dealing with everything. Have tests, get results and take on information, look carefully at options, do some research, discuss with medical team and have all questions answered, revisit the situaton and options, Make decision, share information.

Repeat process when necessary.

A methodology that keeps you firmly in control.

Well done that Man.

best wishes

xx

Mo

User
Posted 01 Feb 2016 at 17:40
Hi Mo

Thanks so much for the help and advice you have given to others on this site. It has been reading this advice from yourself, Chris and many more that has given me the pointers of how to deal with things.

Kind regards

Kevan

User
Posted 01 Feb 2016 at 18:52

Hi Kevan,

It makes it difficult to know what to do for the best in such circumstances. A friend of mine was in a similar position after a Prostatectomy when it was not known where his remaining cancer was, (assuming that is definitely your situation). He had HT followed by the usual 37 fractions of RT and some 8 years on his PSA is undetectable. Hope whatever treatment path you follow you have an equally good result.

Edited by member 01 Feb 2016 at 19:09  | Reason: Not specified

Barry