I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Butter or Margarine?

User
Posted 03 Feb 2016 at 20:45

Many on the forum have given up dairy believing it is not good for men who have PCa.  However, we are now told that  trans fats in margarine are are bad for other reasons.  Butter seems to be becoming more popular again at the expense of Margarine.  How do you see this and what goes on your toast other than marmalade?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-3420251/How-great-butter-revival-killing-margarine-turnaround-expert-health-advice-means-popular-spread-soon-toast.html

Barry
User
Posted 04 Feb 2016 at 12:36

hey up luther
its just your lass doing what she thinks best arnt they just great our OH's dealing with all this, tell my OH each day that I love her, makes her smile every time

regards
nidge

run long and prosper

'pooh how do you spell love'

'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'

User
Posted 05 Feb 2016 at 20:24

Ermm
I don't trust anyone that doesn't like olives , and sadomasochism R US hahaa.
I can just see you spreading on your butter in the morning with a wry smile as poor John looks at his Pure , which may just as well be polymer based tbh :--))

User
Posted 05 Feb 2016 at 22:28
Hi Barry,

Ok so I am not a man , laying that aside I also don't have PCa so I thought I would do a Trevor versus me comparison

Oh Dear I won't come out very good

Butter

Me - yes

Trevor -no always had alternative spreads, olive oil , healthy low fat uber good for you.

Fish

Me - no sorry I don't do fish

Trevor- yep any kind , head on , scales , eyes you name it he eats it. (It makes me feel sick)

.Cream

Me - Absolutely, I love it , how can you have a fancy desert with out cream

Trevor - Trevor hates cream he was not brought up with cream and Hates thetaste and texture even when it is whipped

Fat on meat.

Oh my goodness , pork chops, belly pork , fat on a lamb joint, I am there.

Me - yes , yes , yes , yes.

Trevor , never not in a million years , it would make him gag.

Fruit

Me , I know this sounds weird but when I am Holliday I love it, any kind of fruit , sadly I don't go on holiday that often.

Trevor - I every day at least 8/9 portions always has done.

So conclusion is I probably won't make the end of the week and Trevor will live forever, 😉

BFN

Julie X

NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 03 Feb 2016 at 21:20

Butter every time. It has been much maligned and margarine is awful. I love butter and know I may be having too much but does it matter given my timescales! Toast and butter, no other condiments needed, perfect.

User
Posted 03 Feb 2016 at 21:24

Freezing cold toast , preferably slightly burnt , and I adore butter. Having said that I don't think I've tasted butter in over 2 yrs. We just use Clover light and I actually love the taste of it , especially on a warm black olive loaf straight from the bakery. Damn it I'm gonna have to eat now

User
Posted 03 Feb 2016 at 21:25

I agree that butter is by far better. If you leave margarine with the lid off for two weeks or two months nothing will happen to it, ie no mould will grow on it, no insects or flies will eat it. It does you no good whatsoever, I converted a couple of years ago and have butter all the time, it's all about flavour as well.

Only my opinion.. Cheers, Chris/Woody

Life seems different upside down, take another viewpoint

User
Posted 03 Feb 2016 at 21:53

Although, I now drink soya milk which i have come to prefer to cow's milk, I have stuck with butter. Younger members may not be aware but with rationing in WW2 it was not unusual to have beef dripping on bread or toast, the last part of the Sunday lunch not wasted, sometimes with a little marmite added for extra flavour (or perhaps to disguise the flavour of the fat!). In hindsight I can't believe this was healthy but was a case of 'needs must'.

Chris, my understanding is that it is not good to eat anything that is burnt even toast, though burnt meat is probably worse, so we have our toast very lightly done.

Barry
User
Posted 03 Feb 2016 at 22:33
Without a doubt Real Butter , Chris yes slightly burnt or very well done cold toast with a thick spread of butter I am with you all the way we would make great breakfast buddies.

I can remember back in the day. Having weetabix with a good spread of butter and then dipped in sugar ( Wow) fantastic that was the equivalent of our 5 a day with the odd Apple thrown in.

My mum used to leave her teeth impression in her toast and butter.

BFN

Julie X

User
Posted 03 Feb 2016 at 22:43
Interesting about burnt toast - when I was a member of a local running club we had a pharmacist who ran with us - he recommended burnt toast as a cure for diarrhoea!

Arthur

User
Posted 03 Feb 2016 at 23:35

Black olive bread - bleurgh

Toast, lightly done, with real butter. Nothing else needed !

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 03 Feb 2016 at 23:43

Margarine every time.

IF, you want to die an early death from a product that's been banned in many countries to fatten up turkeys,m burt was found to be bad for them"?

Butter - if you wish to die eventually.

dave

All we can do - is do all that we can.

So, do all you can to help yourself, then make the best of your time. :-)

I am the statistic.

User
Posted 03 Feb 2016 at 23:50
Butter, butter and more butter especially on toast

anyway Margarining up to someone sounds naff compared to buttering them up.

xx

Mo

User
Posted 04 Feb 2016 at 07:21

Lyn , you disappoint me !! You either just hate olives ? Or you've never tried it

Off to Julie's with toast I made yesterday and Prèsident unsalted butter. I seem to remember that as a favourite

User
Posted 04 Feb 2016 at 09:10
Any fancy lightly salted butter on freshly made sourdough bread. As much as you want. Enjoy it while you can. In the grand scheme of things, all it can do to us lot is put weight on. It will not influence your disease outcome one iota.
User
Posted 04 Feb 2016 at 10:16

I have organic butter on toasted granary with organic honey. To start homemade muesli with many nuts and I add kiwi, and banana washed down with coconut milk. Very yummy.

Then I spoil it all with a bacon and tomato butty at least once a week.

Paul

User
Posted 04 Feb 2016 at 11:54

One day the 'experts' will finally make up their minds about what is supposed to be good or bad for you..... until then I shall eat whatever I fancy.

I used to enjoy Lurpak butter on my toast........but for reasons best known to my OH she has 'changed me over' to Benecol.

It says on the pack that it's proven to lower cholesterol........ My cholesterol was within the normal range at my last check so not sure what all that's about! http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif

Luther

User
Posted 04 Feb 2016 at 12:36

hey up luther
its just your lass doing what she thinks best arnt they just great our OH's dealing with all this, tell my OH each day that I love her, makes her smile every time

regards
nidge

run long and prosper

'pooh how do you spell love'

'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'

User
Posted 04 Feb 2016 at 21:17

Butter and lots of

User
Posted 04 Feb 2016 at 22:01

Apart from" margerining people up" it would be weird watching a chrysalis becoming a margarine fly and walking through a meadow of margarine cups...

Still think that butter on crumpets ooooozing through the little holes with a sprinkle of sugar on is just heaven!!

Regards, Chris/Woody

Life seems different upside down, take another viewpoint

User
Posted 05 Feb 2016 at 09:00

When John's dad died of a heart attack about 26 years ago I didn't exactly go into panic mode but smashing man as his dad was he did love the fat on the ham and chops and so did John, although I had been weaning him off them

Anyway, I got one of those Boots cholesterol test kits that had come out and insisted that we tried them. I was fine but John's came up borderline so I telephoned the Boots helpline and explained about his dad and how worried I was and how John liked his butter (I had already removed all fats from hams and meats but he was clinging to the butter) and I asked for advice as I wanted to put him on a low margarine spread.

Very nice lady - she ummed and ahhed for a while because although she was a nurse she wasn't a dietician.
Eventually she said "Put it this way, butter is a natural product, margarine is a hydrogenated product from petro-chemicals and I know what I would rather eat"

So, no contest. We have butter in moderation and for years now I have also baked with it.

Toast? We've just had some made with my home made bread but we don't have butter at all, just my home made jam.

Barry I well remember beef dripping on bread with lots of salt. Stale loaf from the bakers at the end of the day, my mum used to put it in the oven and crisp it up we thought we were in heaven.

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 05 Feb 2016 at 10:32

When we go to the various dances, there are often stalls selling bread & dripping. I would be putting my life on the line if I tried to stop J having any - he loves it.

Chris J - I think olives of any colour are the food of the devil.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 05 Feb 2016 at 11:31

"Pure Soya Spread" for me and has been for the last 8 years. OK at £1.50 a tub not cheap but we usually wait until it is on special at £1 and then buy several tubs and stick them in the freezer.

My wife also uses it for baking and the results have been consistently good and I would say better than when she used butter. 

Roger
User
Posted 05 Feb 2016 at 12:11

Fair point - although I eat real butter, I force John to eat Pure :-)

User
Posted 05 Feb 2016 at 18:59

No quite the result I was expecting on this forum but shows butter is way more popular. However, I would expect that cows milk, from which butter is most generally churned anyway, is not so quite so preferentially taken by we PCa guys as soya and other alternatives. Could this be because the quantity of butter taken is smaller and a calculated indulgence or perhaps the soya and other milk substitutes taste OK and pose less of a health risk than cows milk minimizing the overall risk of too much dairy? Then again there is cheese. Personally, I prefer to have a little cheese made from cows milk occasionally. The alternative non milk cheeses I don't like. And in the summer the occasional single cream to complement strawberries - have yet to find a better substitute.

Barry
User
Posted 05 Feb 2016 at 19:38

I am caught out again ... I have fresh cream on my fruit salad but I put Alpro on his! John doesn't really have cheese or milk - Alpro on his breakfast and cheese is a distant (much missed) memory

User
Posted 05 Feb 2016 at 20:24

Ermm
I don't trust anyone that doesn't like olives , and sadomasochism R US hahaa.
I can just see you spreading on your butter in the morning with a wry smile as poor John looks at his Pure , which may just as well be polymer based tbh :--))

User
Posted 05 Feb 2016 at 22:28
Hi Barry,

Ok so I am not a man , laying that aside I also don't have PCa so I thought I would do a Trevor versus me comparison

Oh Dear I won't come out very good

Butter

Me - yes

Trevor -no always had alternative spreads, olive oil , healthy low fat uber good for you.

Fish

Me - no sorry I don't do fish

Trevor- yep any kind , head on , scales , eyes you name it he eats it. (It makes me feel sick)

.Cream

Me - Absolutely, I love it , how can you have a fancy desert with out cream

Trevor - Trevor hates cream he was not brought up with cream and Hates thetaste and texture even when it is whipped

Fat on meat.

Oh my goodness , pork chops, belly pork , fat on a lamb joint, I am there.

Me - yes , yes , yes , yes.

Trevor , never not in a million years , it would make him gag.

Fruit

Me , I know this sounds weird but when I am Holliday I love it, any kind of fruit , sadly I don't go on holiday that often.

Trevor - I every day at least 8/9 portions always has done.

So conclusion is I probably won't make the end of the week and Trevor will live forever, 😉

BFN

Julie X

User
Posted 06 Feb 2016 at 00:10

Both brilliant responses x

User
Posted 06 Feb 2016 at 10:56

When I first started on my regime of dietary changes almost a decade ago I weighed 15 stone and over the space of six months I lost a stone and I have stayed at 14 stone ever since. 

The benefits of non-dairy, no red meats, reduction in sugar intake and increased amounts of oily fish, fresh fruit and veg, must have been a factor in this weight loss as I did not and have not increased my level of exercise or reduce portion sizes. 

Not that I followed the Jane Plant diet explicitly I did follow her philosophy and it worked for me if my low Gleason is anything to go by with the weight loss being an added bonus. 

Yes, it was hard to stick to the diet at first but reading the posts on these pages all those years ago from the guys who had gone down the same route and had persevered with the diet and had reaped the benefits of it, gave me the incentive to stick with it and I'm glad I did.

Edited by member 06 Feb 2016 at 11:14  | Reason: Not specified

Roger
User
Posted 06 Feb 2016 at 10:59
Throughout my life I only used butter on toast and baked potatoes and never on sandwiches but now don't touch either, but if I were to have a preference it would be butter as it is mainly natural and not like margerine which another example of man interfering with our food for profit, the same as if I were to drink milk again it would be full cream and not the rubbish semi skimmed milk which is hydrogenated, due to supermarkets finding it was more appealing to the consumer as there were no fat showing in the bottles even though the fat is still there but the molicules are so small it's not visible, with the consequence of the fat being able to enter the blood stream easier and clogging up our arteries.

Sorry for being a killjoy.

I think I will get of my soapbox now, apart from posting this link.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margarine

Roy

User
Posted 06 Feb 2016 at 14:07

I haven't had marge or butter on toast for years, but still ended up here. Maybe the Marmite did it.

Tony

TURP then LRP in 2009/2010. Lots of leakage but PSA < 0.1 AMS-800 Artificial Sphincter activated 2015.