Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Dad worried about latest appointment

User
Posted 05 Feb 2016 at 18:45
I wonder if anyone can offer some advice

Please, my Dad (82) has been diagnosed with prostrate cancer Gleason 9 (he can't remember what figure they gave him on his psa).

He's had his bone scan and initial consultation, bone scan looked good apart from one area which needs double checking with an mri, which is booked for 15th Feb.

Today his has had an appointment through for outpatients with a nurse at the neurology department, he called and they said she wanted to see him for a chat, he called looked up neurology and is now worried about what this could be about.

Surely without an MRI scan it could be anything to do with what they saw on a bone scan, any else had any experience of this, as he will now be worried about this all weekend.

Thank you

Clare

User
Posted 07 Feb 2016 at 09:29

Hi Clare, welcome to the site that no one wants to be on but now you are here then it is the best one to be on, stay off DR Google sites, someone will be able to give you advice on here based on personal experiences.

Firstly if you contact your dads GP or oncologists secretary I an sure they will give you his PSA score.

Secondly from reading your post it looks like you have misheard the department that he needs to see which will probably be urology and not neurology, an easy mistake to make, I would be very surprised if it was neurology.

As far as treatment goes, after his MRI scan, you and he will know more and be able to get your head around what is happening and going to happen.

Have you downloaded the "toolkit" from publications on here or you can call on the helpline to request one to be posted to you?

You can also call the very helpful and knowledgable nurses on here as well to discuss anything at all about your dads situation or even any problems that you may be going through, trying to get you head around PCa is confusing.

Stay posting on here with anything at all and I am sure you will get help and advice from us here as we understand where you are and where your dad is while fighting this disease.

Best wishes to you, regards, Chris/Woody

Life seems different upside down, take another viewpoint

User
Posted 07 Feb 2016 at 12:03

Hello Clare and welcome.
I agree with PB that dad probably misheard and it should be Urology so please pass that on to him as it might take some of the panic away.

I won't repeat everything else PB has said because it's all good sound advice.

All the best
Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 08 Feb 2016 at 10:24
Thank you both, after going to see him Saturday, I googled the person he is going to see and it is urology, he must of misheard which doesn't surprise as his hearing is poor.

Just got the MRI to gothrough now next week, hoping for good news as we all feel like our life has been put on hold

Clare