Show search

Notification

Error

MRI query

User
Posted 16 Feb 2016 at 07:03
Hi,

Can you help?

My father was just diagnosed with prostate cancer with a Gleason score of 8.

He had a bone MRI 2 weeks ago and then randomly got called for another prostate area MRI this week? Does this mean they found something further from the initial MRI?

We get the results this week but just wanted to hear people's thoughts.

He has a PSA count of 4.9 so average for someone who just turned 70. So we think that's why it's all gone unnoticed.

Please help- from a worried daughter
User
Posted 16 Feb 2016 at 11:43

HI Hanlou100,

It is unfortunate that your father was not told why he was being asked for a further MRI scan. It is possible that it was felt that a different scan may be able to provide more detailed information on areas of cancer or suspicious areas. There are different types of MRI scanners some of which provide higher definition than others as does the 3 Tesla over the standard 1.5 machine for example and some hospitals have both. Then there is how the scans were sequenced which can make a difference, as my hospital consultant told me. A further difference is whether 'contrast' is injected during the scan to further aid definition. So it could be for one of these reasons why Dad asked to have a further MRI scan. Another reason why scans can be less clear is because the prostate has not sufficiently healed after biopsy before the scan was done - an argument for scanning before biopsy. We don't know the situation here.

If there is still concern I suggest he asks his consultant's secretary why a further scan is wanted. I would just add that MRI scans are expensive and would not be done unless thought to be helpful.

Barry
User
Posted 16 Feb 2016 at 11:54

Hi Hanlou100,

Some hospitals don't automatically carry out bone scans....some do, but mine didn't.
Depends on PSA levels and Gleason score I think...

As your dad has already had a bone scan I would rather suspect as Barry has suggested that the MRI scan will be one of the prostate area.

The reason for the time lapse could well be to let the prostate heal after biopsy, and so will be able to get a much clearer image in order to assess the extent of the cancer.... ie. whether it is contained within the gland or not.

Luther

Edited by member 16 Feb 2016 at 11:55  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 16 Feb 2016 at 12:12
Hi,

I had 2 MRI scans within 10 days of each other as well as the Nucleur Medical one too.
My Gleason was 5+4+3 (7/7 on left).
I was actually quite pleased and saw nothing sinister in it - I recall thinking " well I'm having a thorough MOT ".

Try not to worry too much. I know that's easier said than done but it sounds like he's having good care and attention.

Best wishes,

John