I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Eight Years and Counting

User
Posted 18 Feb 2016 at 10:47

Although I don't post as often as I used to, I understand that there are still some good folk on the forum that follow my progress.

Today is the 8th anniversary of my diagnosis of advanced metastatic prostate cancer spread to bone http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cry.gif. I was given the usual "two to three years to live" and told to put my affairs in order. It's extremely rare to survive this long following a metastatic diagnosis and I have my wonderful oncologist + advances in drug treatments to thank. The past year has been particularly difficult. A brain haemorrhage left me partially deaf and I am now transfusion dependent to stay alive but I do have a decent quality of life and I continue my voluntary work with PCUK and the NCRI.

I fully intend to make a similar post next year but that is in the hands of the Gods http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cry.gif

As usual, those that want to vent their spleen, rant about PCa or just chat about the footy are welcome on The Dark Side

http://pcasupportforum.proboards.com/

My wife and I will be celebrating in style in a 5 star hotel this afternoon http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cry.gif

Nil desperandum

Allister

User
Posted 18 Feb 2016 at 10:47

Although I don't post as often as I used to, I understand that there are still some good folk on the forum that follow my progress.

Today is the 8th anniversary of my diagnosis of advanced metastatic prostate cancer spread to bone http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cry.gif. I was given the usual "two to three years to live" and told to put my affairs in order. It's extremely rare to survive this long following a metastatic diagnosis and I have my wonderful oncologist + advances in drug treatments to thank. The past year has been particularly difficult. A brain haemorrhage left me partially deaf and I am now transfusion dependent to stay alive but I do have a decent quality of life and I continue my voluntary work with PCUK and the NCRI.

I fully intend to make a similar post next year but that is in the hands of the Gods http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cry.gif

As usual, those that want to vent their spleen, rant about PCa or just chat about the footy are welcome on The Dark Side

http://pcasupportforum.proboards.com/

My wife and I will be celebrating in style in a 5 star hotel this afternoon http://community.prostatecanceruk.org/editors/tiny_mce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cry.gif

Nil desperandum

Allister

User
Posted 18 Feb 2016 at 11:15

Hi Alister,

Well done, you are an inspiration to us all.

:)

Dave

User
Posted 18 Feb 2016 at 11:25

Hi Alister,

Brilliant to hear from you - that truly is something to celebrate!

Flexi

User
Posted 18 Feb 2016 at 11:43

Allister,

Congratulations and enjoy today!

Best wishes
Luther

User
Posted 18 Feb 2016 at 12:30

Great news Allister and such an inspiration to frightened new folk, especially those with spreas.

Enjoy your 5 star hotel and all that goes with it !!

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 18 Feb 2016 at 13:41
Hi allister

Thank you for posting, this gives hope to us all. I look forward to seeing your next yrs post.

Enjoy a well deserved celebration and break in the 5 star hotel.

Lesley x

User
Posted 18 Feb 2016 at 14:18

Thanks for this post. Keep going . As said before it gives us all hope.

John

User

Just great to hear from you again, Allister. I miss your interesting informative posts.

Fiona.

User
Posted 18 Feb 2016 at 15:11

Best wishes to you Allister - thank you for posting and for what you do for the cause.

Barry
User
Posted 18 Feb 2016 at 15:20
So glad to read your post Allister and that you are heading for 9 years. When i was diagnosed over 6 years ago my wife got great help and advice from you and since then i have watched out for your posts with advice for so many of us. Keep fighting Allister
User
Posted 18 Feb 2016 at 16:40

Allister

It is great to see another milestone for you and Laura. This must deserve a seat at the "Captains Table" on your next cruise!

Alan

User
Posted 19 Feb 2016 at 07:04
Have a fantastic time.

A real inspiration to hear your anniversary news. Ive just joined the site and it's all daunting to see what's ahead figured I might admit to needing some advice and support from those who know...

Every happiness to you both.

Love laugh love.

Debs

Wife of a lovely man with PC.

User
Posted 19 Feb 2016 at 22:01
It's always a delight to hear from you Allister, John is three years behind you and determined to see those years out. Knowing you are still enjoying life with Laura and still doing your volunteer work is very inspiring to many people here. When I joined this site in 2011 there were so many knowledgeable men here, since the site change this has changed a lot. In truth that makes me sad, I could give a roll call of many of those men, they are either no longer with us or don't post anymore (getting on with their lives?), I won't name names, I get enough of a jolt when I see certain names come up in my email cache.

You've been immeasurably kind to me along the way, keep your spirits up Allister, take as much of the red stuff as you need.

Lots of love to you and Laura

Devonmaid xxxx

User
Posted 19 Feb 2016 at 22:21
Hi, I am only 16 months into my 2 to 3 years but reading about your longevity always gives me hope. Well done and I look forward to annual ( if not sooner) updates from you for many years. Take care and enjoy the 5*

Kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 18 Feb 2016 at 11:15

Hi Alister,

Well done, you are an inspiration to us all.

:)

Dave

User
Posted 18 Feb 2016 at 11:25

Hi Alister,

Brilliant to hear from you - that truly is something to celebrate!

Flexi

User
Posted 18 Feb 2016 at 11:43

Allister,

Congratulations and enjoy today!

Best wishes
Luther

User
Posted 18 Feb 2016 at 12:30

Great news Allister and such an inspiration to frightened new folk, especially those with spreas.

Enjoy your 5 star hotel and all that goes with it !!

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 18 Feb 2016 at 13:41
Hi allister

Thank you for posting, this gives hope to us all. I look forward to seeing your next yrs post.

Enjoy a well deserved celebration and break in the 5 star hotel.

Lesley x

User

Thanks for this post. Keep going . As said before it gives us all hope.

John

User

Just great to hear from you again, Allister. I miss your interesting informative posts.

Fiona.

User
Posted 18 Feb 2016 at 15:03
I know we message privately but publicly, well done brother.

Bazza

User
Posted 18 Feb 2016 at 15:11

Best wishes to you Allister - thank you for posting and for what you do for the cause.

Barry
User
Posted 18 Feb 2016 at 15:20
So glad to read your post Allister and that you are heading for 9 years. When i was diagnosed over 6 years ago my wife got great help and advice from you and since then i have watched out for your posts with advice for so many of us. Keep fighting Allister
User
Posted 18 Feb 2016 at 16:40

Allister

It is great to see another milestone for you and Laura. This must deserve a seat at the "Captains Table" on your next cruise!

Alan

User
Posted 19 Feb 2016 at 07:04
Have a fantastic time.

A real inspiration to hear your anniversary news. Ive just joined the site and it's all daunting to see what's ahead figured I might admit to needing some advice and support from those who know...

Every happiness to you both.

Love laugh love.

Debs

Wife of a lovely man with PC.

User
Posted 19 Feb 2016 at 22:01
It's always a delight to hear from you Allister, John is three years behind you and determined to see those years out. Knowing you are still enjoying life with Laura and still doing your volunteer work is very inspiring to many people here. When I joined this site in 2011 there were so many knowledgeable men here, since the site change this has changed a lot. In truth that makes me sad, I could give a roll call of many of those men, they are either no longer with us or don't post anymore (getting on with their lives?), I won't name names, I get enough of a jolt when I see certain names come up in my email cache.

You've been immeasurably kind to me along the way, keep your spirits up Allister, take as much of the red stuff as you need.

Lots of love to you and Laura

Devonmaid xxxx

User
Posted 19 Feb 2016 at 22:21
Hi, I am only 16 months into my 2 to 3 years but reading about your longevity always gives me hope. Well done and I look forward to annual ( if not sooner) updates from you for many years. Take care and enjoy the 5*

Kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019