I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

does leason score of 9 mean advanced prostate cancer

User
Posted 15 Apr 2016 at 01:24
Hi with a leason score of 9 im not sure on anything else where u get two numbers n add them together as my parents were in shock n only retained so much info. Or will mri n bone scan derermine this ?
User
Posted 16 Apr 2016 at 03:49

Hi Nat,

The Gleason score is indeed arrived at by adding two figures together. The first figure is for the majority of cancer cells that have mutilated further from normal cells. The second figure is for the next largest number of cells that have mutilated from normal. So for example a Gleason of 7 comprised of 4+3 contains a higher proportion of more advanced cancer cells than a Gleason of 7 made up of 3+4. A high Gleason score is one of the indicators of high risk which a 9 Gleason is. The Gleason is assessed by the biopsy samples being looked under a microscope in the lab. However, what in a sense is even more important is the staging which signifies whether the cancer is contained, is breaching the prostate capsule or has gone beyond it. One of the areas cancer often goes to is to bone so a bone scan is often but not always done. So a bone scan is associated with staging, rather than the Gleason. However, in cases where the cancer has spread outside the prostate, ie the place of biopsy, it is possible that in those places where the cancer has spread, that the mutation process has continued so that if one of the affected sites was biopsied, the Gleason figures there could increase to above the figures comprising those taken in the prostate.

Barry
User
Posted 16 Apr 2016 at 12:04

Nat there are two words that terrify us - advanced and aggressive. In the case of prostate cancer, aggressive does not mean the same as advanced. So a Gleason 9 would be considered 'aggressive' - as Barry has explained, the cells are very distorted - but it doesn't mean that the cancer has 'advanced' or spread.

In your dad's case, they can already tell that he has an aggressive cancer but it may still be very small and fully contained - they won't know until they do all the scans. Conversely, sometimes men are diagnosed with a very low Gleason score but the tumour has spread extensively. There is no way of knowing until you have all the results and 'guessing' will simply upset you all.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 16 Apr 2016 at 16:12

Hi Nat, I had aggressive PCa confined to my prostate and treatment was HT and RT (ended Nov15) PSA was 63 and is now 0.01(sorry John) very pleased with treatment and wait another ten months for HT to end

Best wishes Chris/Woody

Life seems different upside down, take another viewpoint