I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

New and terrified

User
Posted 04 May 2016 at 10:05
Hi there. Firstly let me introduce myself. I'm Shaun. I'm 50 on Friday and I live in Lincolnshire. I recently had a blood test at my doctors and yesterday I received a call saying that the results for my prostate were a little high and they want me to go for a scan. In truth I'm absolutely terrified. I have discussed it all with my girlfriend who has been an absolute rock. I wasn't sure what to do so I figured joining an online community was a good idea. I look forward to chatting with you people.
User
Posted 04 May 2016 at 12:01

Hi Shaunieboy,

Good choice on joining this site and you will get lots of advise and comments on your journey with your prostrate. I was dx with Pca last year and have recently finished my treatment.

Firstly let me say its a worrying time and its good your partner is there for you. I found always discussing things with my partner was the best thing to do. You will need to talk all things and treatment with her. I found its also the most worrying time prior to finding out results. After I had my initial consultation I had bio's done then CAT, MRI and Bone scans, this then give them the full picture of my condition and then what treatment was needed. Once this was done I could focus on what I needed to do. I cant say it will be easy ahead but in my case I had a better trip than I expected. As everyone on this site will tell you, everyone reacts differently, But use the site as a good and sound base of experience and advise. Don't google!

You can check my profile and see how my years treatment went.

Good luck over the coming months.

Steven

User
Posted 04 May 2016 at 14:39
Hi Shaun

Welcome to this site. There are some great people on here who through their experiences can and will offer a lot of good advice. When you get your results post them on here and on your profile and you'll get answers appropriate to yourself.

Don't be afraid to ask any question how stupid you may think it is, someone has probably been there.

Best wishes,

Arthur

User
Posted 04 May 2016 at 15:16

Hi Shaun
It's all a bit of a roller coaster to start with , and sometimes it continues. There is a lot of worry and waiting , but many get off the train ok , others have to stay on. Many people on here have ongoing problems. Remember the thousands that are fine after treatment and don't come on here. And then there are the women on here. Great sound advice and don't discount them , as actually they are quite genned up compared to us lazy fellas sometimes. Here's hoping scans fine and DO keep in touch. This forum is a godsend, fixed or not
Chris

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 04 May 2016 at 12:01

Hi Shaunieboy,

Good choice on joining this site and you will get lots of advise and comments on your journey with your prostrate. I was dx with Pca last year and have recently finished my treatment.

Firstly let me say its a worrying time and its good your partner is there for you. I found always discussing things with my partner was the best thing to do. You will need to talk all things and treatment with her. I found its also the most worrying time prior to finding out results. After I had my initial consultation I had bio's done then CAT, MRI and Bone scans, this then give them the full picture of my condition and then what treatment was needed. Once this was done I could focus on what I needed to do. I cant say it will be easy ahead but in my case I had a better trip than I expected. As everyone on this site will tell you, everyone reacts differently, But use the site as a good and sound base of experience and advise. Don't google!

You can check my profile and see how my years treatment went.

Good luck over the coming months.

Steven

User
Posted 04 May 2016 at 14:39
Hi Shaun

Welcome to this site. There are some great people on here who through their experiences can and will offer a lot of good advice. When you get your results post them on here and on your profile and you'll get answers appropriate to yourself.

Don't be afraid to ask any question how stupid you may think it is, someone has probably been there.

Best wishes,

Arthur

User
Posted 04 May 2016 at 15:16

Hi Shaun
It's all a bit of a roller coaster to start with , and sometimes it continues. There is a lot of worry and waiting , but many get off the train ok , others have to stay on. Many people on here have ongoing problems. Remember the thousands that are fine after treatment and don't come on here. And then there are the women on here. Great sound advice and don't discount them , as actually they are quite genned up compared to us lazy fellas sometimes. Here's hoping scans fine and DO keep in touch. This forum is a godsend, fixed or not
Chris

User
Posted 04 May 2016 at 16:17

Hello Brother

Welcome. What did the GP say was a little high? If you have a figure, this would be useful to advise and maybe help put your mind at rest as your head will be spinning with worry at the moment.

Bazza

User
Posted 04 May 2016 at 17:25

Hi Shaun

Gosh....We are getting younger!

The first thing is DON'T PANIC!

This is the start of a long journey...like MOST MEN on this planet...it is an epidemic!

You will need (like your Doctor) a LOT of data (MRI/CT/Bone Scan/Biopsy) before YOU can logically choose YOUR path of treatment (there are several)...your "little high" PSA is simply YOUR very first baby step.

Here is something that helped me a lot when I found that I had this thing a few months ago:

One of the world’s leading experts in the care of PC — Dr Laurence Klotz — wrote the following words to help describe both a) the initial fear you might be concerned about, and b) what you might not realize about prostate cancer. He wrote:

"A diagnosis of cancer often results, at least initially, in “cancer hysteria” — that is, a perfectly understandable reflexive fear of an aggressive life-threatening condition. Historically, a diagnosis of cancer
was a death sentence. In Western society at large, the cancer “zeitgeist” is that this disease is dreadful and must be caught early and treated aggressively to avoid what would otherwise be a painful and premature
death. This widely shared preconception often leads the patient to make a quick and early decision for treatment, regardless of the risks and benefits.

For some cancers this fear is warranted, but for most men with favorable-risk prostate cancer, their condition is far removed from that of a rampaging, aggressive disease. Most men with favorable-risk prostate
cancer are not destined to die of their disease, even in the absence of treatment. The challenge is to identify the subset that harbour more aggressive disease early enough that curative therapy is still a
possibility, thereby allowing the others to enjoy improved quality of life, free from the side effects of treatment."

Let’s be clear… there ARE serious cases, very serious cases, of PC. But as Dr Klotz wrote, most are NOT in that category, although today we label them all the same: “prostate cancer.”

Not all PC is created equal, nor is it identified at the same level of maturity in all patients, let alone at the same age; therefore it is important to understand the ‘Stage’ of the cancer you have (or may have). Unfortunately, the medical/research profession mixes the definitions and simplifications it uses for mortality (death from the disease) by using the confusing terms 'Risk' and ‘Stage’. 

The two measures are closely but not 100% aligned; PC 'Stage' (a measure of the 'now' situation), feeds in to the 'Risk' categorization (how things may progress). In simple terms, earlier 'Stages' define more localized cancer, generally associated with lower 'Risk' and this is where the largest percentage of cases occur. It is important to understand where you stand on both scales (see the first post in this thread).

To keep this simple and to fulfill my purpose I have taken and summarized two credible sources of morbidity data based upon 'Stage' and presented them here.

'Average' is an important concept to remember; clinical studies are invariably reporting some form of average; there are always members of the study that fared better or worse by greater or lesser degrees; for a variety of disease related, overall state of health and lifestyle reasons.

Survival Rates by Stage of Disease

The most widely used standardized staging system for prostate cancer is the American Joint Committee on Cancer (AJCC) TNM system. The US National Cancer Institute (NCI) maintains a large national database on survival statistics for different types of cancer, known as the SEER database. The SEER database does not group cancers by AJCC stage, but instead groups cancers into simpler local, regional, and distant ‘Stages’ (actually groups of TNM Stages).

• Local stage means that there is no sign that the cancer has spread outside of the prostate. This corresponds to AJCC stages I and II. about 4 out of 5 prostate cancers are found in this early stage. The 5 year survival rate for this group is nearly 100%.
  • Regional stage means the cancer has spread from the prostate to nearby areas. This includes stage III cancers and the stage IV cancers that haven’t spread to distant parts of the body, such as T4 tumors and cancers that have spread to nearby lymph nodes (N1). The 5 year survival rate for this group is also nearly 100%.
  • Distant stage includes the rest of the stage IV cancers – cancers that have spread to distant lymph nodes, bones, or other organs (M1). The 5 year survival rate for this group is 28%.

Why 5 years? It’s a BENCHMARK, an arbitrarily chosen point in time at which a measurement is made. At five years they count the number of men who have died so far, and the number who are still alive, all of them having received treatment 5 years ago. It is something of a standardized ‘first point of measurement’ across many studies and has no hidden meaning. Studies that follow men longer will also take a count at 10 years and 15.

As you can see, nearly every man with prostate cancer in Stages I, II, III and even some IV’s will live past this point and have his sights set on the future. As can also be seen, an advanced Stage IV patient has a fight on his hands, but all is certainly not lost.

What Next?

According to the most recent data cited by the American Cancer Society, when including all stages of prostate cancer:

• The relative 5-year survival rate is almost 100%
  • The relative 10-year survival rate is 99%
  • The 15-year relative survival rate is 94%

That's even better news, isn't it?

In a good way, these figures are already outdated. Prostate cancer treatments are continually improving. Men diagnosed with prostate cancer today might have even better survival rates. For example, the five-year relative survival rate for men diagnosed with prostate cancer in 1990 was 92.9%, in 2013 it was 99%.

Best of luck and keep us informed!

Bill

Edited by member 04 May 2016 at 17:32  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 04 May 2016 at 18:19
Well , I can't beat Bill's post above but I can also welcome you to this site and wish you well !

When you have more info then I know you will have as much support as you need from us all here.

Take care,

John

User
Posted 04 May 2016 at 19:27

As Bazza says what is your PSA...it may simply be elevated due to an enlarged prostate or some other non sinister condition.
Did the GP carry out a DRE (an examination of your prostate)

Its very early days and whilst its scarey it is too early to speculate

Bri

User
Posted 04 May 2016 at 20:07

Brian's initial thoughts are the same as mine. Cancer has not been diagnosed at this point and indeed the slightly high PSA could be due to something else. How high was it? Did the GP do a DRE and if so did that give particular cause for concern? Why was a PSA test done and what were any symptoms? Is there any history of PCa or breast cancer in the family?

Whilst Bill has tried to offer reassurance and certainly the Americans have a lot of expertise in dealing with PCa and much of their treatment and research is widely quoted, there are differences between them and us in the UK in some respects including success rates as they are generally more proactive in early diagnosis and treating in the USA. But until cancer is diagnosed this is premature here.

Barry
User
Posted 04 May 2016 at 20:18

Bill in Wales, where have you been? We have a number of members in their 40s, a recent newbie diagnosed in his early 30s, and too many friends here that have died in their 40s or early 50s. Is it getting to be a younger man's disease or are we just getting more diagnosed? 

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 04 May 2016 at 21:36

I would like to thank you all very much for your replies. I haven't had any numbers given to me as of yet. I went to my doctors last week and told her that I have a nautilus feeling and she said she would take blood for tests. The next timing I hear is that I get a call saying my prostrate is a little high. Going for the scan at Grantham as my girlfriend has all her stuff done there. Once that's sorted and I know what's happening I will go with bupa as I have it as part of my job. I will keep you updated when I hear anything but many thanks for your support

User
Posted 04 May 2016 at 21:47

I hate to be a killjoy but private will not necessarily be better if you are diagnosed. See what happens with your results first and then you can start to research the benefits and drawbacks of different treatments and different providers.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 05 May 2016 at 08:15

"...Bill in Wales, where have you been? We have a number of members in their 40s, a recent newbie diagnosed in his early 30s, and too many friends here that have died in their 40s or early 50s. Is it getting to be a younger man's disease or are we just getting more diagnosed?..."

Hi Lyn

Yep....My guess is we men are importing something good from the US (for a change).....we are being (a bit) more proactive with our health! No doubt the internet and information sharing has helped quite a bit!

But also MOST MEN in the UK are still unaware of how prevalent PC is......therefore are still being diagnose later than they should (too late).

If you told UK men in their 50's that their chance of having prostate cancer was 50%....the NHS would come crashing down!

Here is a titbit of info from another website.....

"....In this case, researchers at Wayne State University School of Medicine in Detroit, Mich., were curious about prostate cancer. So they obtained the prostate glands of 1,056 men whose doctors had not diagnosed prostate cancer prior to death. The men were between 20 and 80 years old.

Of 186 prostate glands from 20-year-old men, 19 had prostate cancer. That amounts to more than 10 percent of these young men.

As expected, the number of men with prostate cancer increased with age. Among men in their 30s, the researchers found that 31 percent had prostate cancer. When men hit their 40s, the number jumped to 40 percent. And by the time a man is 60 years old, according to this autopsy study, his chances of having prostate cancer is 70 percent....."

Scary stuff!

User
Posted 05 May 2016 at 09:19

Yes there was similar research across Europe but on a much bigger scale - thousands of post mortem prostate. Similar findings - 50% of men in 50s, 60% of men in their 60s, etc

User
Posted 05 May 2016 at 10:26
Thanks for the research Bill, scary though. Is western diet a factor , as it seems less prolific in Asian countries. so many factors to ponder.

David is now plugged into the NHS, sadly not in Shrewsbury.l spent my teenage years there, many happy memories.

He is having his RT in Cardiff, same distance but slightly easier journey for me.

Leila

User
Posted 11 May 2016 at 16:23

Just a quick update. It's been a bit of a whirlwind from trying to get my head around it to convincing myself it emus nothing and then thinking I've got months to live and back again as you can all imagine. I've had my results back and I have a PSA of 10.3. I went to see the consultant this morning and he did the old obligatory finger up the jacksey. After that he told me that it was enlarged and hard in one side and wanted to do a biopsy. Two hours later I'm lying naked on a trolley having part of my innards scraped away and being sent off for tests. Still completely in the dark as to how bad it is and still terrified however. Things are moving forward. Have been told I will get the results within two weeks so back to the waiting game and playing the what If worse case scenario game.