Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Regular testing while having treatment

User
Posted 06 May 2016 at 09:43
Hi all,
My father was diagnosed with prostate cancer with a psa of 7.2,had an isotope bone scan which showed it has spread to pelvis,femur,and spine. Had four weeks of hormone tablets and started hormone injections last month,due second one next week. My question is when he has the next jab should he be having any blood tests? As no-one has mentioned this or do they just check after a six month cycle of treatment. No appointment with oncology either all gone through urologist so far.
User
Posted 06 May 2016 at 10:29

hi
I have been on HT injections and chemo had blood tests whilst on chemo and now that has finished will be o 3monthly injections with a PSA blood test taken 1 week before jab so as to give time to get results, so I would guess that your dad should be having the same tests, would also ask why you have not seen an oncologist

regards
nidge

run long and prosper
'pooh how do you spell love'
'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'
User
Posted 06 May 2016 at 10:54
Hi Nidge,Thank you for your reply,he's awaiting an appointment apparently and was told it should be in the next few weeks to see an oncologist,he was started on hormone therapy by the urologist who sent a letter to gp to tell them what he needed.

Edited by member 06 May 2016 at 11:06  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 06 May 2016 at 11:15

ask about chemo 6 cycles of docetaxel it has been proven to help extend life, and copies of all letters

regards
nidge

run long and prosper
'pooh how do you spell love'
'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'
User
Posted 06 May 2016 at 14:20

3 monthly PSA tests would be standard in your dad's situation, I think. Discussions about chemo etc should be had with the onco when you see him/her

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 14 Jan 2017 at 20:22

Hi all just an update! Dad completed 6 rounds of docetaxel chemo(reduced from 10) three months ago and remains on hormone therapy. He coped well with the chemo not suffering with too many side effects. The only strange thing is that he's been transferred back to urology from oncology. I'm guessing this is because chemo is finished,he was told he'd mainly be under GP care with 3 monthly urologist appointments. Many thanks for your advice and kind words.x