I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Rapid rise in PSA

User
Posted 13 Jun 2016 at 19:27
My 56 year old husband was diagnosed with prostatis in March, and was treated with antibiotics. Had a DRE and gp said his prostate was boggy.
All symptoms cleared up and he had a PSA which was 6.4. Gp thought this was because of recent infection and said to check it again in 6 weeks. Just had the results and it's now 11.8. Have to discuss with GP tomorrow but an urgent referral has been done to urology.
He has no symptoms and to say I am panicking is un understatement.
Is a rapidly riding PSA normal?
User
Posted 06 Jul 2016 at 21:51

Just an wee update, saw consultant yesterday.
He did another PSA and then a DRE, said prostate is small, normal and benign and was very confident the sharp rise in PSA was down to infection. We left with the plan that if the PSA had dropped we would review in 6 months, but if it was the same or raised we would go for biopsy.
The good news is PSA has dropped to 5.2 which is such a relief. Obviously all caused by recent prostatis and hopefully in 6 months time will be completely back to normal. 😄

User
Posted 08 Oct 2016 at 14:40

Yes if it is a normal biopsy I should think so, John had his on the way from work to rugby training! The exception would be if they suggested a template biopsy instead - that is usually done under general anaesthetic

Edited by member 08 Oct 2016 at 14:41  | Reason: Not specified

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 13 Jun 2016 at 20:11

It's unlikely the sharp increase in such a short time is all down to PCa if at all.

Rayi

User
Posted 14 Jun 2016 at 06:38
Bumping you up so you're post is a bit higher on the list
User
Posted 14 Jun 2016 at 08:08

Been trying to reply but post keeps disappearing!!

User
Posted 14 Jun 2016 at 10:16

Welcome to the site Saints.

When you go for your urgent referral take a pen and paper to record answers. Also write down any questions before you go because you are likely to forget due to stress. It isn't in the least un-usual - in fact it is something we are in the habit of suggesting to newcomers and I've certainly taken my list with me when I've gone along to appointments with my husband.

I can guarantee that when we get outside we both heard the words but heard them differently !!

Are you panicking unnecessarily ? I hope so.

Some of the men on here had no symptoms at all, one of whom was my husband.
His cancer was found via a non related blood test and our GP stuck the PSA test on the blood test form just as he was leaving the GP surgery

You're seeing the GP today and perhaps you could get back to us to let us know what he said.

I'm no expert on rapidly rising PSA but your husband has had proctatitis. Did the GP test for further infection by the way?

Try not to panic too much. Easier said than done I know. PSA of 11.8 IS high but there could be other explanations for it. The fact that the GP has said the prostate is boggy seems to be indicating that he feels something isn't right hence the referral.

Hopefully your referral will not take long to happen. In the meantime, take heart from the fact even if this is cancer there is much that can be done. It's the dreaded word "Cancer" that frightens people but there are quite a few options for Prostate cancer.

All the best

Sandra

Edited by member 15 Jun 2016 at 08:41  | Reason: Not specified

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 14 Jun 2016 at 12:06

I was 55 when I had a PSA test last April which came back as 8.9. Biopsy reveled nothing but a follow up PSA test 6 months later showed PSA had risen to 14.7. I obviously thought the worst and have since had an MRI and a template biopsy, but still no cancer found. The only explanation for the rapid rise and high PSA is prostatitis which the template biopsy showed signs of. Mine is asymptomatic as I have no symptoms of infection so they are not treating it, but infection of the prostate is hard to treat so the rapid rise in your husbands PSA could quite easily be linked to that. I know it is very difficult to do, but try not to worry too much, such a rapid increase in such a short space of time is unlikely to be caused by cancer and is more likely to be as a result of infection. It needs to be treated seriously and looked in to, but hopefully it will be nothing serious

User
Posted 15 Jun 2016 at 11:04

Of course it's very worrying but try not to panic. One tends to think of worst case scenario when usually even with a positive diagnosis there are various treatments that can delay if not cure the advance of PCa.

Do let us know when a diagnosis has been made.

Barry
User
Posted 15 Jun 2016 at 20:18

Thanks for all your replies. We met with the GP yesterday and I feel a bit more reassured.
She seems to think that he is brewing another bout of prostatis as the rapid rise in PSA is more likely to be related to infection.
He has also recently been diagnosed with an HLA B27 positive gene with affects your immune system and can cause problems with the urethra which again makes her think that it is infection. They have to rule out anything else so has to be referred.
His referral has been screened by the consultant and it looks like they are going straight for biopsy on 6th July.

User
Posted 06 Jul 2016 at 21:51

Just an wee update, saw consultant yesterday.
He did another PSA and then a DRE, said prostate is small, normal and benign and was very confident the sharp rise in PSA was down to infection. We left with the plan that if the PSA had dropped we would review in 6 months, but if it was the same or raised we would go for biopsy.
The good news is PSA has dropped to 5.2 which is such a relief. Obviously all caused by recent prostatis and hopefully in 6 months time will be completely back to normal. 😄

User
Posted 06 Jul 2016 at 22:55

That's great news - just make sure that regular PSA tests become part of your normal life, you now know how easily a problem can develop :-(

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 02 Oct 2016 at 10:36
Another update, having left the consultant with a review appointment in 6 months, he wrote and asked to get another PSA done in 3 months. Just had it done and it's now risen again to 9.8 which is disappointing.
Now got to attend the Prostate Assessment Clinic and the consultant is sending a prescription for a prophylactic antibiotic so it looks like biopsy.
My husband does feel it is infection that has never fully resolved, and over the last week or so has felt an improvement. Would it be a good idea to wait another couple of months, check PSA again before starting anything invasive.
User
Posted 02 Oct 2016 at 10:54

Has an infection already been ruled out Saints?

Is the antibiotic definitely for a biopsy or is it possible the consultant is assuming an infection first before he does anything else?

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 04 Oct 2016 at 14:09
Hi saints just over 12 months ago my husband had back ache went to gp who was thorough DRE, PSA. His psa was 13 following mri and bladder scan no issues, all concerned felt due to water infection ecoli. Once cleared another mri was suggested just in case which showed a small abnormality few days later biopsy 12 samples taken of 10 which were cancerous Gleason score 7. Consultant surprised by findings as husband only 51 opted for surgery last Dec. All good to date last week psa undetectable, no continence issues just ongoing ed work in progress. From our experience although not a pleasant experience the biopsy results were invaluable in giving Paul the treatment he needed quickly. Hope all goes well whatever action you take. Jayne x
User
Posted 04 Oct 2016 at 15:19

Hi I think that as this has been going on for a long period ,it would be advisable to have a biopsy to find out one way or another six months is to long to wait .yours Andy

User
Posted 05 Oct 2016 at 00:12
Hi
Can you not request a MRI. Ie review that before having to commit to a biopsy. .
User
Posted 08 Oct 2016 at 13:02

Going for scan and possible biopsy on Wednesday. I've spoken with the GP and she is off the opinion that it has been rumbling on for 6 months so best to get the biopsy.
She feels that it is infection but better to rule out cancer. I agree as the not knowing and worrying is worse, would rather know one way or the other.
One other question, would my husband be able to drive following the biopsy, the hospital is 45 mins away

User
Posted 08 Oct 2016 at 14:40

Yes if it is a normal biopsy I should think so, John had his on the way from work to rugby training! The exception would be if they suggested a template biopsy instead - that is usually done under general anaesthetic

Edited by member 08 Oct 2016 at 14:41  | Reason: Not specified