Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Catheter problems

User
Posted 23 Jul 2016 at 13:14
Hi all

Long time since I wrote. Just a wee question regarding the use of a catheter.

Basically I was supposed to get RT in June but due to scar tissue in the urethra I have had to get surgery to widen the tube.

I have a catheter in place, which comes out next Friday, will.need to self cathertise to keep scar tissue at bay, but was just wondering if anyone else has a problem with the tip of the Penis being drawn inside. It happened before when I had the RP, really nippy and sometimes sore. I use installgel which helps a little.

Any tips on what else can help. Like I said it is being removed next Friday prior to RT in September.

Cheers

Sandy

User
Posted 26 Jul 2016 at 20:15

Hi Chris/Devonmaid

Thanks for the replies. The nippiness is always there when the catheter is in place, it draws the tip inward which gives me some pain when I walk.

Think it is because of the movement when I walk etc. I wear tight underpants to try and hold things in place but it still doesn't help much in improving things.

Getting it removed on Friday so at least that will be over but the self cathertisation should be an experience.

Just couldn't understand how it came to a weak flow when I had regained dryness almost straight away and had a good flow after surgery last December, and why it has taken so long to find the root cause. Had been given tablets for an overactive bladder a couple of months ago instead trying to determine where the problem lay.

Ah well enough of my moaning at least I am still here.

Onwards and Upwards

Sandy

User
Posted 06 Aug 2016 at 07:10
Hi Chris

I have just started ISD so my flow is good at present.

But what I did find out is this, the original catheter that I was given I couldn't manages to get it round the curve to enter the bladder so was given a different type which did the business. Maybe you could ask for another type.

Have been told that there is a good chance of urethra narrowing again in the future.

Nine times seems a lot, hope all goes well.

Sandy.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 23 Jul 2016 at 14:37
S

Oh the joys of scar tissue, I do self catheterisation up to twice a day or though technically I am doing ISD intermittent self dilatation. Never had the problem you describe with the tip of the penis, it that when inserting the catheter or all the time, or just with the indwelling catheter ? If you read my profile you will see I have had numerous urethral procedures. I assume you have had flow problems, my first two dilatations did not affect my continence, but the third one was a disaster,I have always tried to avoid a formal incision into the scar tissue for fear of being left totally wet.

Added

As well as using instilagel I would move the penis up and down a few times on the catheter to work the instilagel down the urethra.

Thanks Chris

Edited by member 23 Jul 2016 at 17:21  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 24 Jul 2016 at 21:53
You poor thing!

We do sympathise. John has been left with a lifelong supra pubic, but did have both that and a urethral catheter after his TURP (it was a hideous experience as the catheter was huge). He has constant pain in his penis at the tip, even though he no longer uses it for either of the natural purposes and that catheter was removed after two week. He can't even wear men's underwear because of the soreness of the seams and a barrier cream has been suggested. He uses sudocreme several times a day but mostly has to wear a nightshirt around the house to protect himself. Not much seems to help, I hope you get better soon! Sorry to seem miserable, it's just one more thing to get a poor Pca sufferer down in my opinion. I truly hope yours does improve.

Devonmaid

User
Posted 26 Jul 2016 at 20:15

Hi Chris/Devonmaid

Thanks for the replies. The nippiness is always there when the catheter is in place, it draws the tip inward which gives me some pain when I walk.

Think it is because of the movement when I walk etc. I wear tight underpants to try and hold things in place but it still doesn't help much in improving things.

Getting it removed on Friday so at least that will be over but the self cathertisation should be an experience.

Just couldn't understand how it came to a weak flow when I had regained dryness almost straight away and had a good flow after surgery last December, and why it has taken so long to find the root cause. Had been given tablets for an overactive bladder a couple of months ago instead trying to determine where the problem lay.

Ah well enough of my moaning at least I am still here.

Onwards and Upwards

Sandy

User
Posted 26 Jul 2016 at 20:53

S

I preferred snug short type underpants (not boxers)  rather than tight underwear when catheterized and tighter pants when wearing a pad post catheter. ISD / ISC is no big deal, but in the last few days I have failed to get the catheters in again, I have got a telecon with the consultant tomorrow. I was almost dry 4 days after the op and it took about three months for the flow to slow but then it dropped off pretty quick , down to 1.5mls/sec just before the op. My slow flow was diagnosed pretty quick finding the hem-o-lok clip was a bit of a surprise. My consultant thinks the stricture helped regain the continence, not sure I agree, after the first and second dilatations I was still continent but the flow was back to 20mls/sec.

Hope all goes well.

Thanks Chris 

User
Posted 29 Jul 2016 at 11:47
Hi

Just back from hospital to get catheter removed, slightly sore when coming out.

Tries to self cathertise but couldn't get the 18mm tube all the way in due to pain.

Nurse a wee bit surprised as he said it is usually painless, he put it down to the surgery not healed properly yet, was peeing blood with the first post catheter pee.

Bottom line is that I will try in a couple of days at home and go back next Friday.

I know it is something that needs to be done but it doesn't feel natural

Hey ho enough of my moaning at least I don't have a permanent catheter inserted.

Hope you all have a good weekend and the sun has finally arrived in Scotland.

Cheers.

User
Posted 29 Jul 2016 at 13:14
S

I suspect you mean a size 18 not 18mm, that would make your eyes water,even size 18 is on the large size.

There may be a bit of swelling and trauma from the procedure. My first couple of dilatations were straight forward and I did the ISD with no issues. Just remember to relax especially if it gets stuck on the way out.

Following the latest procedure I quickly went down from a 16 to a 12 and now cannot pass anything.

Have you got your instilagel for lube ,anaesthetic and antiseptic.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 29 Jul 2016 at 14:43
Hi Chris

Yes size 18 not 18mm, kidding myself on that I am a big boy ha ha.

It was pretty nippy getting the old one out and trying to put the new one in, will try again on Sunday.

I thought the catheter was a bit on the big side but that is what they want.

Just putting the lack of success down to not fully healed as I was also passing some blood afterwards.

Take care mate.

Sandy

User
Posted 29 Jul 2016 at 14:46
Meant to say Chris the catheters that I was given are self lubricating. I also asked the question if painkillers prior to insertion would make any difference and was told that there was no need for them as the catheter insertion was painless.

Don't really believe the nurse on that one.

Cheers

User
Posted 29 Jul 2016 at 19:20

Hi Sandy,

I self catheterise twice daily and at times have been up to four times daily. The only pain issue is when you pass the sphincter muscle just before entering the bladder. This wears down with regular usuage and I have no pain now. The rest should be painless as the nurse suggests. But you do need to relax both when the catheter is going in and when you pull it out. It is a routine procedure once you get into a rhythm though the first week or so is very difficult. So don't despair, take your time and it will get easier.

Good luck!

Edited by member 29 Jul 2016 at 19:20  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 29 Jul 2016 at 19:45
Cheers Paul

Like most guys starting out with self cathertisation just doesn't feel natural.

But thanks for sharing your story.

Sandy

User
Posted 05 Aug 2016 at 23:12

I wonder if any of you ISD/ISC guys can help, My flow has now dropped to between 1 & 2 mls per second and the maximum volume is about 250ml and normally about 50ml per visit, I am not sure where the the fluid intake is going but it does not seem to be coming out of the penis. I am booked it for dilatation number nine on 22nd August. I am not convinced the blockage is at the bladder neck this time as I can only get the catherter six inches in before it comes to a dead stop. So with the length of my soft penis being 3 inches the catheter only goes in 3 inches into the body. When I could pass the catheter into the bladder it was going in about 10 inches before the urine would start to flow.

So the question is how far are your catheters going in before you start to pass urine.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 06 Aug 2016 at 07:10
Hi Chris

I have just started ISD so my flow is good at present.

But what I did find out is this, the original catheter that I was given I couldn't manages to get it round the curve to enter the bladder so was given a different type which did the business. Maybe you could ask for another type.

Have been told that there is a good chance of urethra narrowing again in the future.

Nine times seems a lot, hope all goes well.

Sandy.

User
Posted 15 Sep 2017 at 07:23
Hi guys.

Long time since I posted, everything holding together at the moment.

One wee question is has anyone experienced the catheter becoming difficult to remove after self catheterisation.

Been self catheterisation for over a year now, every second day, and all went smoothly but lately I have had some difficulty removing the Catheter, seems to stick on removal.

Will need to speak to urology as I'm thinking I may have to back under the knife.

Any advice would be helpful.

Cheers