Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Prostate cancer diagnosis - GP and Consultants missed symptoms

User
Posted 29 Jul 2016 at 20:31

Hello everyone,

My dad has been diagnosed with prostate cancer. He is 72.

He started experiencing pain in his joints and spine last winter. The GP referred him to a consultant. They initially thought he had a bladder infection and arthritis. The antibiotics didn't work and the X-rays suggested his bones were showing signs of mild wear and tear. Eventually, after repeated visits to the GP, he was diagnosed with prostate cancer.

The PSA score is 70. The tumour is T3, there is lymph node involvement and there are bone mets.

So far, he's been treated with Bicalutamide and now has an injection every three months.

I'm in shock - it doesn't seem real.

Given his age they have decided not to operate but instead manage the condition. The consultant said he had people with much higher PSA scores who are still attending his clinic years later.

What should I do? What are the best treatment options?

User
Posted 29 Jul 2016 at 22:13

Hi Cam and welcome to this forum though sorry for the reason that brings you here.

More men of 72 will have PCa than those who don't and the vast majority will die of something else. Early diagnosis does help the doctors monitor men and treat those where the cancer looks like it will need to be treated. Unfortunately, your Dad was not diagnosed until the cancer was locally advanced (T3) which could be a reason for not suggesting surgery. Suitably fit men older than your dad sometimes have surgery, though unsuitability could be a reason or contributory reason not to have surgery. There could also be other reasons, due to general health and the fact that the cancer has spread outside the prostate. For such men Hormone Therapy is frequently prescribed, as in your dad's situation, sometimes with the addition of radiotherapy. Chemotherapy and other drugs may be used. A lot depends on how well the various therapies work on an individual patient - here the experience of the oncologist is important and the patient will receive individual specific advice.

Unfortunately, there is not much that you can do personally but be attentive and ensure that dad does what his oncologist suggests whilst considering any alternatives that may be offered. There are about 27 types of prostate cancer and some put out more PSA than others so in itself PSA is not a definitive guide. The Gleason score indicative of how far cancer cells have mutated from normal and how far they have spread (staging) becomes more important and can help dictate treatment.

Barry
User
Posted 30 Jul 2016 at 21:29
Hi Cam,
Just wanted to say Hi I am not going to advise on treatments but just wanted to share our story, Trevor was 64 on diagnosis with a PSA of 13000 , bone Mets and lymph node involvement yes we have had a rough ride in places but Trevor is still here 3 years later . Life has been ok. it is hard to comprehend but with new treatments becoming available things are not as bad as you think. Trevor has had various HT treatment and is now on Abbiraterone.
Hope this helps
BFN
Julie X
NEVER LAUGH AT A LIVE DRAGON
User
Posted 31 Jul 2016 at 00:21
Hi
Like Trevor Booth my hubby has survived with Mets and lymph for much longer than expected. A Gleason 10, he's still her nearly six years later. Lots of hope with this cancer. I think you'll know pretty soon if it's going to be a real tiger of a disease.

Lots of love
Devonmaid xxx
User
Posted 17 Aug 2016 at 14:27

Hi all,

Many thanks for your warm welcome and sage advice. Dad is taking it very calmly (calmer than anyone else!), has a positive attitude and goes walking and swimming every week. The meds have had an immediate effect and he is mobile again.

User
Posted 17 Aug 2016 at 16:07

Hello Cam and belated welcome from me too

Glad the current treatment seems to be helping. Do you know your dad's Gleason score?

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails