I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Everything is temporary.........except love

User
Posted 21 Aug 2016 at 20:08

The evolution of the earth since it was born has proved one thing, that everything is temporary. Rocks form then erode, continents change and shift, some sink into the tide. Mighty oaks that last six hundred years eventually succumb to their mortality. As humans, we are but an intelligent form of those inanimate objects and we all, too, wear out and die. In fact, it is estimated that since the start of time, 107 billion human beings have been born and have died on planet earth. It is a staggering statistic considering that today, only 7 billion or so human beings are alive.

As humans, we strive during our lifetime to acquire objects to own, to possess, treasure and hold. These are only ever on temporary loan though. We are born naked with nothing except our first breath and die naked, taking nothing with us save for our final breath. The lasting quality though, that elusive component of the human spirit, however, is that though we do not take anything with us, the minds that contain the contents of our lives pass with memories intact - and, likewise, the memories of the ones we leave behind are blessed with the one thing that is enduring. The one state of being that never dies, love. For the love we shared whilst alive transfers to the ones who loved us so that when we die that love continues on until they too pass on. Love is a virtuous circle that is as enduring as the seasons, as generations. It is permanent in the minds of those who hold it true.

When you find love, true enduring love, I say that summer has kissed your soul. Many of us on this forum have had their love tested by disease, trials, treatments and, sadly for some, death. Well summer has kissed all of these souls and shines on in the memories that are taken, passed on and kept alive in the survivor. It is warming to know that such a state exists. Whether there is a life after this one is a subjective matter that is very personal and everyone has their own particular views on the subject. All I will say is that if love is such a powerful force and can be kept alive after a person's passing, then our survival beyond the death state may be a form of existence that is too great for our human minds to comprehend. Maybe love as a thought process of the living mind is a tangible expression of our continued survival. Instead of mortal flesh, we become immortal thoughts instead. I digress.

As time marches on and I make less plans for the future, buy less clothes because a larger wardrobe, for me at least, would be a complete waste of time and money, I feel blessed that my soul has been kissed by summer, indeed many summers. Seasons may have come and gone, they still will, but I feel warm in the comfort that I am loved now and that my deeds, actions, mannerisms and sayings will live on in the affection and love of my family. It is not the form of longevity I hoped for, but it is a pretty good half measure when the odds are stacked against you.

So, in the spirit of the summer I spoke of, this week is set to be a scorcher. I intend to have barbecues, make cocktails and more of those happy memories for the afterlife. It's the least I can do.

User
Posted 21 Aug 2016 at 21:54

loved reading this Steve has advanced cancer wide bone spread today is our 45 th wedding anniversary and we have had a wonderful family picnic with children and grandchildren so much love. A cake made by 10 year old granddaughter with a heart for each of us xx

User
Posted 22 Aug 2016 at 23:30

Hi Bazza,

Spot on, love is all that matters, our memories are like tear drops in the rain.

:)

Dave

User
Posted 21 Aug 2016 at 22:26

Lovely words Bazza, thank you for sharing

Christmas, I'm so pleased that your 45th Anniversary went with a bang. The love you shared today with all your family is a testament to Bazza's words.

Happy Belated Wedding Anniversary Wishes.

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 21 Aug 2016 at 23:06

This is lovely. I've been feeling pretty low recently and although this made me cry it was also reassuring.

Thank you and all the best to you.

Rosy

User
Posted 22 Aug 2016 at 15:32

Ah Bazza - summer kissed my soul and then you kissed it again xxx

It isn't just among friends and family that memories live and linger - every so often, we get a special member on here whose story, choices, the example they set all goes on to help others. Alathays, TopGun, Old Al, Andy Ripley, Spurspark and Nimeniton have each left a permanent mark and a legacy that newer members benefit from, even if they don't know it. You are another one of those men Bazza although I am sure you would rather not be in that group!

Stay strong, my friend xxx

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 21 Aug 2016 at 21:13
I've read this twice now, thought it would be melancholy but it's not, it's uplifting. Thank you for these beautiful words.

Love Devonmaid xx

User
Posted 21 Aug 2016 at 21:54

loved reading this Steve has advanced cancer wide bone spread today is our 45 th wedding anniversary and we have had a wonderful family picnic with children and grandchildren so much love. A cake made by 10 year old granddaughter with a heart for each of us xx

User
Posted 21 Aug 2016 at 22:26

Lovely words Bazza, thank you for sharing

Christmas, I'm so pleased that your 45th Anniversary went with a bang. The love you shared today with all your family is a testament to Bazza's words.

Happy Belated Wedding Anniversary Wishes.

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 21 Aug 2016 at 23:06

This is lovely. I've been feeling pretty low recently and although this made me cry it was also reassuring.

Thank you and all the best to you.

Rosy

User
Posted 22 Aug 2016 at 00:10
Thanks Bazza,

You helped me a lot.

Steve

User
Posted 22 Aug 2016 at 15:32

Ah Bazza - summer kissed my soul and then you kissed it again xxx

It isn't just among friends and family that memories live and linger - every so often, we get a special member on here whose story, choices, the example they set all goes on to help others. Alathays, TopGun, Old Al, Andy Ripley, Spurspark and Nimeniton have each left a permanent mark and a legacy that newer members benefit from, even if they don't know it. You are another one of those men Bazza although I am sure you would rather not be in that group!

Stay strong, my friend xxx

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 22 Aug 2016 at 23:30

Hi Bazza,

Spot on, love is all that matters, our memories are like tear drops in the rain.

:)

Dave