Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Hello - worried about 'hard' prostate and high PSA test

User
Posted 07 Oct 2016 at 20:34
Hello

I'm not sure if anyone can help but was just hoping for some advice.

My husband was having an internal examination for a routine check and the Dr said his prostate felt 'hard' . He sent him for a PSA test and he has now been called today for a consultant appointment in a couple of days time.

Obviously this is very quick so I am really worried.

We don't know yet what the PSA result is but we are assuming it is high or they wouldn't be asking him to see a consultant.

Is a 'hard' prostate always bad news. I know it's best to stay away from google but I have read various things saying that if you can actually 'feel' a hard prostate then it means things are fairly advanced? Does anyone have any more info on that.

Sorry I should have mentioned. He is 60. Generally good health. Before this hadn't really noticed any particular symptoms although in reflection he says he has been having to get up once a night some nights to use the loo when he didn't before and sometimes flow is slightly reduced. Also (sorry for this info) he has sometimes had what I think are called 'dry orgasms' .

Sorry this is so long but I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks

User
Posted 07 Oct 2016 at 22:50

Hello Sally and welcome.

Did the doctor say the prostate was hard or did he say it felt hard and irregular? or knobbly?

A PSA test will not define cancer, it just indicates that something needs investigating.

A speedy recall might just mean the doctors are efficient. A combination of high PSA and knobbly or irregular prostate might well indicate cancer but until more tests are done it's not possible to confirm that.

A "hard" prostate could also indicate BPH (enlarged prostate) if the prostate is not knobbly, so speculation is pointless and just worrying yourself un-necessarily at this stage.

Even if this is cancer, there is now much that can be done. Please don't apologise for the personal information. When you've been on this site a while, you'll realise that as long as your questions are genuine then no question is taboo. If something worries you then we do our best to answer, no matter what it is.

Please get back to us as soon as you have the PSA results. I expect that your husband will be given a biopsy and MRI scan which will help the consultant give a Gleason score. The lower the score (generally) the more treatments are available to him.

Please try not to worry, it's still early days. We have a number of wives and partners on here, all supporting our other halves as best we can.

Best Wishes

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 08 Oct 2016 at 09:11
Hello thank you for replying.

The Dr didn't mention 'knobbly' but I guess that doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't (if that makes sense.)

I'm going to try and stay as calm as possible over the weekend as me panicking won't really help him but I am finding that difficult.

User
Posted 08 Oct 2016 at 10:23

Hello Sally,

A "hard" prostrate is just one indicator that something is not quite right with the prostrate, hence the quick referral to a urologist. As Johsan mentions, PSA is another indicator, but not necessarily an indicator of prostate cancer. 

I expect the urologist will want to repeat the DRE and probably request an MRI scan and possibly a biopsy. As Johsan says there are lots of treatment options available.

Flexi

User
Posted 08 Oct 2016 at 11:22
Thank you for the reply Flexi. Really appreciated. I will report back after the appointment.
User
Posted 09 Oct 2016 at 13:13
I just wondered if anyone has any more info on the 'dry orgasm' aspect and if this is a symptom of PC.

I've been finding it difficult to find any info about that. Thank you! (This weekend really is dragging - Tuesday feels like a long way a way which I know sounds ridiculous.)

User
Posted 09 Oct 2016 at 14:47

There will be men on here that have dry orgasms as a result of their treatment but I'm not sure about otherwise.

Are the dry orgasms a fairly recent thing. Do they, for instance, go with the time frame for getting up at night for the loo?

Does your husband have other health problems ie diabetes?

Tuesday will feel an age away and then come all too quickly. It's normal for us all when we are waiting appointments or results so no - it doesn't sound ridiculous to me at all.

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 09 Oct 2016 at 15:30
S

I never had dry orgasms prior to treatment but the volume of semen ejaculated did diminish significantly in the months leading upto diagnosis. I probably also suffered with a small amount of terminal dribbling when urinating for about 12 years prior to diagnosis getting worse in the last year before Dx. I just put them down to getting old. My DX was the result of a shoulder problem. I went for all my tests convinced I would be the same as two works mates who had raised PSA but no cancer, unfortunately I was the unlucky one. Stay positive.

Thanks Chris

User
Posted 09 Oct 2016 at 15:32
It's been for the last 6 months or so we think.

The night time waking has been probably over last year or so. Sometimes (maybe 2 or 3 times a week he needs to get up once s night - other times not at all. He had just thought this was 'normal' for being in his sixties.)

User
Posted 09 Oct 2016 at 15:52
Sorry (again) - missed the question about other illnesses. He doesn't have diabetes - and only other issue he has is significant disc deterioration in back.

Thank you for all the replies x

User
Posted 11 Oct 2016 at 13:13
I just did a new post but I think it got lost.

Devastating news. PSA 6006. Has probably spread. Biopsy CT scan etc to follow. Hormone treatment to start immediately.

Can anyone give any hope. I am heartbroken x

User
Posted 11 Oct 2016 at 22:12
Hi, sorry you are here.

I was diagnosed November 2014, my PSA was only 342 but in terms of symptoms I also had dry orgasams, felt uncomfortable sitting down now and again and had the need to we in the night. All that happened in about a 6 week period, went to the docs and got the score above.

I then had a cat scan, MRI and a biopsy. Result was Gleason 9 T4 n1 m1a, spread to my lymphs around my body. Devastated but have had 2 good years with chemo, radiotherapy, zoladex, biclutamide and now abiriterone. I have also run desert ultra marathons and many other long races so no matter how bad the scores sound it does not mean anything as everyone is a bit different.

You will know more in due course and we all understand why you are feeling how you are but please don't give up, live for the day a bit more and focus on what you know not what you think you know. My kids are now 11, 16 and 18, they have coped with the last 2 years really well.

Keep posting

Kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 12 Oct 2016 at 14:29

Thank you for your reply Kev.  Everyone here has been so helpful on this site.