Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Zoladex and eyesight

User
Posted 12 Oct 2016 at 07:10
Hi all

Just a wee question, is there any link to Zoladex implants and your eyesight.
I've wore glasses for short sightness for a few years now whilst I've always been able to read even the smallest print unaided.
But after getting a comprehensive eye test lately I now have a pair of prescription reading glasses as I find it hard now unaided.
The optician couldn't give me an answer so just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.
Cheers
Sandy
User
Posted 12 Oct 2016 at 08:59
Hi
Just a thought, have you put weight on around your middle since the Zolodex implants as my husband has. As a consequence he was tested for diabetes type 2 and was found to be positive. We sorted out the diabetes with diet but it can affect your eyesight. So maybe a trip to your GP is advisable. Our doctor carried out the checks as a precaution
User
Posted 12 Oct 2016 at 10:10

Hi Sandy,

I have had two bouts of HT, 3 years on Zoladex from 2007-2010 and 2 years on Prostrap 2014-2015.

In 2008 they decided I had type 2 diabetes, when I queried whether this had been brought on by Zoladex, my Consultant was quite forthright and said I had developed diabetes because I was fat!

For a time I had to take medication to treat the diabetes.

Subsequently I slimmed down, and my blood sugar levels fell within the normal range, but my surgery still has me on their books as diabetic, they say that despite having healthy normal blood sugar levels it is only because I manage my diabetes with my diet.  I don't really agree because I guess if I was a new patient who walked in off the street, and they tested my blood, and found it normal, they would put me on their books as normal, but hey ho what do I know.

Anyway, the thing is that when you are listed as diabetic, you have to go for an annual eyetest, it's not particularly pleasant, they stick fluid in your eye to dilate the pupil, so they can photograph your retina.  The preliminary part of the session involves the usual reading letters off the eyetest chart.

I had mine done last week, my eyesight unaided is 100%, I could read the lowest row of letters with no trouble.    

So they you have it, 5 years of Zoladex/Prostrap and my eyes are still 100%, shame about the rest of me?

:)

Dave

User
Posted 12 Oct 2016 at 14:17

On Gluacoma eye drops these past 3 years. Consultant said not caused by Zoladex. No issues with diabetes perhaps my balanced diet helped.

Ray

User
Posted 12 Oct 2016 at 18:31

Your eyesight can change because of changes in the muscles which hold the lens in place related to age. I wore glasses for 40 years until eye test showed I no longer needed them . Quite a leap of faith to drive without glasses but a great saving on designer specs!! As a woman have never had Zoladex and diabetes tests were negative. So maybe old age has some benefits!!

User
Posted 12 Oct 2016 at 19:10

Hi

I had a comprehensive eye test about 6 weeks ago and I was given the all clear in regards the health side of things.

I think that old age could be a contributory factor, I only 56 though, its just that I could read the smallest writing unaided but lately my eyes have been straining to do the same. I do now have prescription reading glasses now which do make a difference.

Was just putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 5, Zoladex verses eyesight?. But going to take some advice and go for a wee blood test just to discard diabetes. Last blood test was about 3 months ago and didn't show any signs of diabetes.

Cheers

Sandy