Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

PSA levels and secondary cancer

User
Posted 06 Nov 2016 at 19:15
Hi

My Husband was diagnosed in 2015, radical robotic surgery, histology report was T3A Gleason 3+4 histology report said the tumour extended beyond the gland in two areas in the left posterior region. They were going to put him forward for the radical trials, but due to his incontinence he was told he wouldn't be accepted.

I apologise if I haven't given all in information, lots going on! His psa level has remained at 'less than 0.1'psa is every 3 months'

No connection, but this year he has been diagnosed with non hodgkins cancer. Also recently chronic kidney disease stage 3. Due to these last 'problems' my husband has left a bowel problem which started almost 3 months ago! He never told me for over four weeks, then I booked him into our doctors, at the moment we are waiting for an appointment with a colorectal surgeon, hopefully next week.

He has bleeding with constipation and 'watery stools'

My question is, is it possible to have metastatic bowel cancer with a normal psa reading! Or would the psa level always indicate secondary cancer.

Thank you, and apologies if I haven't explained myself very well.

User
Posted 06 Nov 2016 at 23:01

Hi Sandra,

Sorry your husband has PCa and now other problems.

As regards PSA, would you please say whether he has had/is having hormone therapy because if so this can keep the PSA lower, at least for a time? However, whilst PSA taken over time is generally a sign of progression of the disease, this is not always the case. In a minority of cases cancer can advance notwithstanding a very low PSA because some PCa types of cancer produce very little PSA.

It is not impossible that your husband's PCa has gone elsewhere because it can spread virtually anywhere in time. However, PCa generally likes to go firstly to go to seminal vesicles, lymph nodes and to bone, especially in the pelvic area.

You can't take anything for granted. It's best to take advice from consultants and it seems this is being done. Unfortunately, sometimes due to tests not always giving definitive detail and PCa affecting men in different ways, even consultants sometimes struggle and may want further tests before they fully follow wat is happening and may further change over time.

Edited by member 06 Nov 2016 at 23:03  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 06 Nov 2016 at 23:47
Thank you Barry, I have a husband who keeps his head firmly in the sand! But even he is very worried it has spread from the prostate.

He never had any treatment after the robotic surgery. We were told as his MRI and CT scan were clear in 2015, and they would 'watch and wait'

We were told after surgery some rogue cancer cells had escaped, but they were too small to see, and they may never cause him a problem.

He is 72 years old, a strong man who is still working full time in his own business, but I can see it is getting too much for him, but at the same time I think it is keeping him going!

I appreciate you taking the time to reply.