I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Catheter concerns

User
Posted 14 Nov 2016 at 14:33

My uncle is very worried about having to have a catheter. He has suffered with a very narrow uretha and on a past occasion he had one after a minor op he found it excruciating. He mentioned his concern at his most recent visit and the doctor wasn't interested. Are there alternatives or any suggestions really appreciated.

User
Posted 14 Nov 2016 at 14:59

Hi Super,
we need a bit more info - is he having a catheter because he is having an op to remove his prostate? Or does he have problems weeing due to enlarged prostate and the catheter is going to be to help him empty his bladder?

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 14 Nov 2016 at 15:18

Sorry fogot to mention that... the op is to remove the prostate.

User
Posted 14 Nov 2016 at 17:13

Then no, there is no alternative to a catheter. But they will put it in while he is unconscious so he won't be aware of it being done.

Basically, they cut the urethra during the op, remove the prostate with some urethra running through the middle of it and then join the 2 cut ends of urethra back together. That join must be protected for a week or two until it heals, so the catheter stops urine leaking into his body through the stitched join. It might be that whoever did his catheter last time used a big one - the surgeons are very experienced in this stuff and would not give him something too large for his body. It can be a bit uncomfortable at the end of the penis - it gets a bit red and sore - but your uncle can ask the hospital for some local anaesthetic gel to avoid this. It would also help if he asks the nurse to show him how to strap the catheter during the day and at night - the two are different.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard