Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

father is 62 has aggresive prostate cance

User
Posted 09 Dec 2016 at 07:27
Hi I'm kieron and I'm 39
My dad who is 62 has aggresive prostate cancer he got told he has weeks possibly months left. All my family are telling me I should get tested for prostate cancer are they right in saying that please help it's worrying me like crazy
User
Posted 09 Dec 2016 at 10:50
Hi Kieron, sorry to read about your Dad.

39 is indeed young for prostate cancer , I was diagnosed with aggressive prostate cancer age 49 that was 2 years ago, I have since met men aged 43 with aggressive cance too however it is not very common in ones 40s.

The PSA test is indeed only a sign post and please remember this forum does not have medics on it just people who have or have seen the cancer so take all advice in and make your own decision.

Statistically, roughly 1 in 8 white men get prostate cancer , 1 in 4 black. If your father has it that risk more than doubles (my father had prostate cancer too) so personally I would discuss with GP too but I think I would be going for a test regularly in my 40s because if you catch it early it is curable,(my fathers was) or too late and it is not (like mine and sadly your Dads) . By the time I had symptoms it was already too late, if I had been told about the risks I would have been having tests earlier and who knows.

The downside about a PSA test is not the test itself but afterwards if you have a raised level there are mental challenges and a biopsy at some stage that has risks attached but ignoring it may just be building a time bomb .

I am sorry that this is not the happiest post you will read but the facts that bother me for my kids are early diagnosis should cure a man.

Speak to your GP

Sending you and your father every good wish

Kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 09 Dec 2016 at 11:35

As PCa is reputed to be slow growing it's possible your dad had low grade PCa in his 4O's. So stress to GP how aggressive at 62 it
is.

Edited by member 09 Dec 2016 at 11:43  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 09 Dec 2016 at 12:05

I think that the above comments are all true but you could possibly misunderstand the advice you are being given You say everyone is telling you to get tested and you may be interpreting that they are worried you also have prostate cancer. In fact, the most important thing about getting tested at your age, and then continuing to get tested on an annual or 2 yearly basis, is to give a baseline of what is normal for you so that if in the future you do start to have problems it will be picked up early. Getting a regular PSA test also keeps your prostate health in your mind.

There are other things you can do as well. Reliable research suggests that eating lots of tomatoes, garlic, oily fish, broccoli etc and reducing your intake of processed food, red meat and dairy can help keep your prostate healthy and reduce your future risk.

A direct genetic link for PCa is quite rare - less than 10% of prostate cancers are believed to be genetic - but having a father, brother, uncle or grandfather who was diagnosed young - and/or a close female relative with breast cancer - increases the risk. Your dad wouldn't technically be classed as 'young at diagnosis' but as Ray says, he could have had it for a while. My husband was diagnosed at age 50 so our son tries to eat more healthily and will have PSA tests from the age of 30.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 09 Dec 2016 at 10:50
Hi Kieron, sorry to read about your Dad.

39 is indeed young for prostate cancer , I was diagnosed with aggressive prostate cancer age 49 that was 2 years ago, I have since met men aged 43 with aggressive cance too however it is not very common in ones 40s.

The PSA test is indeed only a sign post and please remember this forum does not have medics on it just people who have or have seen the cancer so take all advice in and make your own decision.

Statistically, roughly 1 in 8 white men get prostate cancer , 1 in 4 black. If your father has it that risk more than doubles (my father had prostate cancer too) so personally I would discuss with GP too but I think I would be going for a test regularly in my 40s because if you catch it early it is curable,(my fathers was) or too late and it is not (like mine and sadly your Dads) . By the time I had symptoms it was already too late, if I had been told about the risks I would have been having tests earlier and who knows.

The downside about a PSA test is not the test itself but afterwards if you have a raised level there are mental challenges and a biopsy at some stage that has risks attached but ignoring it may just be building a time bomb .

I am sorry that this is not the happiest post you will read but the facts that bother me for my kids are early diagnosis should cure a man.

Speak to your GP

Sending you and your father every good wish

Kev

Dream like you have forever, live like you only have today Avatar is me doing the 600 mile Camino de Santiago May 2019

User
Posted 09 Dec 2016 at 11:35

As PCa is reputed to be slow growing it's possible your dad had low grade PCa in his 4O's. So stress to GP how aggressive at 62 it
is.

Edited by member 09 Dec 2016 at 11:43  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 09 Dec 2016 at 12:05

I think that the above comments are all true but you could possibly misunderstand the advice you are being given You say everyone is telling you to get tested and you may be interpreting that they are worried you also have prostate cancer. In fact, the most important thing about getting tested at your age, and then continuing to get tested on an annual or 2 yearly basis, is to give a baseline of what is normal for you so that if in the future you do start to have problems it will be picked up early. Getting a regular PSA test also keeps your prostate health in your mind.

There are other things you can do as well. Reliable research suggests that eating lots of tomatoes, garlic, oily fish, broccoli etc and reducing your intake of processed food, red meat and dairy can help keep your prostate healthy and reduce your future risk.

A direct genetic link for PCa is quite rare - less than 10% of prostate cancers are believed to be genetic - but having a father, brother, uncle or grandfather who was diagnosed young - and/or a close female relative with breast cancer - increases the risk. Your dad wouldn't technically be classed as 'young at diagnosis' but as Ray says, he could have had it for a while. My husband was diagnosed at age 50 so our son tries to eat more healthily and will have PSA tests from the age of 30.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 09 Dec 2016 at 12:34
Thank you everyone for your advise going to speak to my gp next week about possible getting tested
User
Posted 09 Dec 2016 at 13:14

Hello Kieron and welcome
I'm glad you've decided to see the GP. You would worry if you did - you would worry if you didn't.

Yes 39 would be young but as Lyn says it provides a base line for the future.

I asked our son when his dad was diagnosed four years ago and when our son was approaching 41. He already has regular bowel examinations so doesn't think it's necessary as he says they will tell him if there is anything untoward but I think he also asked the GP for a PSA. so at least he will have his base line

It doesn't make me relaxed though but I can't keep asking him if he's had this years test.

Best to get yourself sorted early rather than later

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 09 Dec 2016 at 13:38
My main concern is i have a 3 year daughter who i want to see grow up