I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Positive advances with new laser activated drug

User
Posted 20 Dec 2016 at 08:45

I was listening to Radio 4 this morning when I heard the news on a new treatment using targeted lasers and drug called WST11,  derived from bacteria at the bottom of the ocean. The big thing is that it can kill the cancer without removing or destroying the prostate - fewer or no side-effects!

The usual caveats apply - early trials throughout Europe and they will review next year on availability, but it could be fantastic news for PCa caught at the right stage. Is there anything on this site about it? Any people on the trial?

Here is a link to story in Guardian https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/dec/20/prostate-cancer-treatment-laser-activated-drug-a-leap-forward

Chris

User
Posted 20 Dec 2016 at 10:06

Hi Christopher,

I saw it released on The BBC in the middle of the night when I couldn't sleep. We found out yesterday my husband does has prostate cancer but it's Thursday when we get the detail but were told it's 'not bad'

I am definitely interested in considering a focal laser try repayment but of course we need to know his actual diagnosis but if he is a n early catch low risk I will be exploring this option further. Our consultant is a big surgeon and was taking surgery from meeting 1.

I will update when I know more but am actively interested in focal options.

Thanks

Clare

User
Posted 20 Dec 2016 at 11:03

Hi Clare

Good luck with the diagnosis - you can't do much until then other than getting prepared with your questions.

This new treatment sounds positive and it could make a massive difference to so many men in the future - but it's early days and we will have to wait to see how it will become available. The challenge is for those men who are sitting on the fence - I'm one of them. If it became available at some point in 2017, should I wait and see if that became an option for me? The downside is the contained PCa becoming more aggressive.

Chris

User
Posted 20 Dec 2016 at 11:52

The problem with new treatments is that it can take years to get NICE approval which means they are often only available as part of a trial. In addition, new options have no track record for side effects and success rates 5 or 10 years down the line, which makes them high risk for younger men.

You may find that your surgeon can only discuss surgery with you - you might want to ask for a referral to an oncologist to explore other treatments like laser / brachy.

If you put 'screening' into the search box on here you will see that it is not a straightforward issue and it evokes very strong feelings.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 21 Dec 2016 at 09:55

From what i saw on BBC news last night, it was almost the same as HDR Brachytherapy. The template, needles, tubes, and computer equipment. Only difference appeared to be the injection of the Bacteria.

I would recomend HDR Brachy, to anyone suitable. I had mine in July, and have had no after effects. everything is back to normal.

Merry Christmas to all.

Dave.

User
Posted 21 Dec 2016 at 13:20

No problem, glad to help anyone.

Dave.

Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 20 Dec 2016 at 10:06

Hi Christopher,

I saw it released on The BBC in the middle of the night when I couldn't sleep. We found out yesterday my husband does has prostate cancer but it's Thursday when we get the detail but were told it's 'not bad'

I am definitely interested in considering a focal laser try repayment but of course we need to know his actual diagnosis but if he is a n early catch low risk I will be exploring this option further. Our consultant is a big surgeon and was taking surgery from meeting 1.

I will update when I know more but am actively interested in focal options.

Thanks

Clare

User
Posted 20 Dec 2016 at 11:03

Hi Clare

Good luck with the diagnosis - you can't do much until then other than getting prepared with your questions.

This new treatment sounds positive and it could make a massive difference to so many men in the future - but it's early days and we will have to wait to see how it will become available. The challenge is for those men who are sitting on the fence - I'm one of them. If it became available at some point in 2017, should I wait and see if that became an option for me? The downside is the contained PCa becoming more aggressive.

Chris

User
Posted 20 Dec 2016 at 11:20

Hi Chris,

Yes a definite dilemma... Reading the info on prostratecancer UK has been an eye opener.. My father in law was not diagnosed until it was advanced att age 72 and so it was HT, radiation and chemo for him.. He died at at 78 this June, But of course he may have had it at 52 we don"t know because unlike my husband he had no PSA tests until he was symptomatic in his 70's, what he did have was fantastic quality of life for those 20 years before he was diagnosed.

It's definitely a tricky one but I would like to see a future where all men are screened for this cancer from a sensible age, all get a MpMRI and if abnormalities are seen a targeted biopsy. If it's a low risk PCa a focal laser treatment of some type to get them into remission ...clearly there will still be the tricky ones that need a tougher hand

I am so impressed with the leaps and bounds being made my the pioneers here ..it feels to me like the dawn of a new era for many...

Fingers crossed for you Chris and for us to have choices ...

Clare

User
Posted 20 Dec 2016 at 11:52

The problem with new treatments is that it can take years to get NICE approval which means they are often only available as part of a trial. In addition, new options have no track record for side effects and success rates 5 or 10 years down the line, which makes them high risk for younger men.

You may find that your surgeon can only discuss surgery with you - you might want to ask for a referral to an oncologist to explore other treatments like laser / brachy.

If you put 'screening' into the search box on here you will see that it is not a straightforward issue and it evokes very strong feelings.

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard

User
Posted 20 Dec 2016 at 12:13

Thanks Lyn,

We are currently in the BUPA system so will definitely keep an eye on whether that's sensible as currently we don't have a MDT as many talk about here.

I understand re screening as when my FIL was diagnosed we read about it and the debate and views therein.. Tbh I was against him having the PSA test with no symptoms but he had it via company medical the year his dad was diagnosed and at 2 yearly intervals and this years picked up the rise and yes it's cancer of some sort...

However if a focal treatment was available it changes the screening debate in my opinion...without one then yes I can see how strong opinions will exist.

Thanks for the advise re an oncologist - much much appreciated.

Clare

User
Posted 21 Dec 2016 at 09:55

From what i saw on BBC news last night, it was almost the same as HDR Brachytherapy. The template, needles, tubes, and computer equipment. Only difference appeared to be the injection of the Bacteria.

I would recomend HDR Brachy, to anyone suitable. I had mine in July, and have had no after effects. everything is back to normal.

Merry Christmas to all.

Dave.

User
Posted 21 Dec 2016 at 11:14

Thank you Dave... you've popped that higher up my list of questions...

I hope you don't mind but i will read your story now... Thank you so much for the input

Regards

Clare

User
Posted 21 Dec 2016 at 13:20

No problem, glad to help anyone.

Dave.

User
Posted 21 Dec 2016 at 22:46

Dave, the big difference is that Brachytherapy is another form of radiation, whether by permanently placing seeds or introducing highly radioactive probes for a short duration. The laser system does not involve radiation. The bacteria that fights the cancer cells is injected into the blood stream and is activated by light being focused via probes inserted into the tumour.

Barry
User
Posted 22 Dec 2016 at 08:45

Hi Barry,

Yes, I realise that. I was just pointing out it looked the same equipmemt!

User
Posted 22 Dec 2016 at 09:09

yeah,but no good for us high risk guys.

User
Posted 22 Dec 2016 at 14:12
Unfortunately not but hopefully for our sons they will get this disease sorted at an early stage...

I have a 26 year old with now a father in law and father .. We need progress to be made.

Regards

Clare

User
Posted 04 Feb 2018 at 15:50
Hi Dave I am seriously considering HDR brachytherapy; 18 months or so on for you is everything still good. Would you say you are the same post HDR as before? Would appreciate hearing your thoughts or indeed anybody post HDR brachytherapy.

Thank you