I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

burning in hips

User
Posted 22 Dec 2016 at 20:33

hi,i have been having a burning sensation in hips now and again,dont know if it is because of exercising sometimes or what,anyone else have this.cheers.

User
Posted 23 Dec 2016 at 20:49

Hi Michael,

I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis before I was diagnosed with PCa, however I think for those of us in our 60's or older, we all have arthritis to a greater or lesser extent.

Then of course HT doesn't help the bones.

When I had my first scans for PCa the chap on the machine commented that my left hip was in better shape than my right.

When first diagnosed with arthritis my GP recommended taking the big ibuprofen tablets for a week, they are the size larger than you can pick up off the shelf in the supermarket, you have to ask the chemist for them from under the counter.  You need to take them for a whole week, apparently ibuprofen only becomes anti-inflamatory after you have been taking it for 3 days, but you mustn't take it long term, its a sort of goldilocks thing, 2 or 3 days is too little and 14 days too much, 7 days is just right.  You then repeat this every 2 or 3 months if you feel the need.

More recently my new GP recommends 2 paracetamol every evening, long term continuous.

My own remedies are the Voltarol gel as required, or a good session with red wine or whisky, alcohol is a muscle relaxant and I find that after a day or two limping around on painful hips a good piss-up sort of resets my joints and I am OK for a few days, indeed I can sometimes stay sober for weeks.

:)

Dave 

User
Posted 24 Dec 2016 at 15:23

spoke with my Mcmillan nurse tother day about same scenario, said that the HT treatment would be causing it, as it affects the bones, given me naproxen tablets for anti inflammatory

happy Christmas
nidge

run long and prosper

'pooh how do you spell love'

'piglet you dont spell love -you just feel it'

User
Posted 24 Dec 2016 at 17:36

I would be careful about taking Naproxen it can have some nasty side effects and is not suitable for everyone, see https://www.drugs.com/naproxen.html

Barry
User
Posted 24 Dec 2016 at 18:13

Radar / Bladerunner

Just to follow on from Barrys comment, I am prescribed 250mg of Naproxen three times a day for osteoarthritis of the hip, they are very effective but I have cut them down to one a day and it keeps the pain at bay. I was also prescribed Omeprazole at the same time to protect the stomach if taking Naproxen long term.

Thanks Chris

Edited by member 24 Dec 2016 at 18:14  | Reason: Not specified

User
Posted 26 Dec 2016 at 12:14

Yes strange how drugs affect some men in different ways and with different degrees of severity, I was also prescribed Omeprazole to help combat a side effect of Naproxen and was told this drug is quite often given for this purpose. Yet in my case it nevertheless still caused stomach problems and I was glad to stop. Yet side effects apart, Naproxen can be very effective in what it is prescribed for.

Barry