I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

late radiotherapy side effects

User
Posted 04 Jan 2017 at 21:17
My husband completed radiotherapy in April having very few side effects,both pleasantly surprised,psa down to 1.6. Just before Christmas he started having some stingingwhen passing urine,some loose motions,but most of all very uncomfortable perineal pain which didn't respond to pain killers.his urine was clear of infection and the gp has given naproxen to take when he gets the pain,says could be due to inflammation from the radiotherapy. In the last week he has pain 3 days out of the 7,lasts for several hours. Has anyone experienced this and how do we get relief for him,I am concerned this may be difficult to resolve,the gp only wants this medicine short term as it is hard for the stomach for any longer,anyway doesn't seem that effective. Any advice please.
User
Posted 04 Jan 2017 at 23:27

Hi Fiona,

I had very similar symptoms to your husband.

I had HDR Brachytherapy in February 2015 and it wasn't until the August - September that the side effects kicked in, one was a dull background pain, that I noticed particularly immediately after I sat down on a hard seat, and I had frequent slight fevers like I was coming down with a cold.  I also had the stinging urination pain of classic radiation cystitis which kicked in about the same time.

Urine tests at my GP showed that I was clear of urinary tract infections.

However at the next appointment with my Consultant, he immediately identified it as an infection of the prostate, which soon cleared up with some strong antibiotics he diagnosed from the hospital pharmacy.  From the way he talked it seemed he almost expected me to have the post RT infection.

He started me on Tamsulosin which helped control the urge to urinate, however the cystitis took a little longer to clear, I ate lots of fresh cranberries over the Christmas which seem to do the trick (But beware the ready-made Cranberry Juice drinks sold in supermarkets, they are mostly sugar and water, you need the real thing 100% cranberries to sort the cystitis.

:)

Dave  

User
Posted 05 Jan 2017 at 09:12

I hope your other half is feeling a bt better.

Naproxen can build up some nasty digestive side effects. I took it some years ago for arthritis.

Did the GP not also offer Omeprazole as a buffer?

Dave has the experience and knows what he's talking about. Your GP is just treating a symptom not the underlying problem.

Could you not contact your nurse (if you have one) or ring the consultant's secretary and ask for advice. Maybe, like Dave's consultant, he's just waiting to confirm it's Prostatitis

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 05 Jan 2017 at 17:08
Hello. My other half had brachytherapy 2 years ago. He has had pain when sitting for long periods of time in the prostate area and stinging/burning when he wees since brachy. To start with they said it was prostatitis and prescribed antibiotics. At first it worked and the symptoms cleared for a few weeks, then they would come back again. More antibiotics were prescribed.
This went on for 18 months. Every urine sample came back clear. So in August this year they stopped prescribing antibiotics. Since then symptoms have just got worse and worse. He is in quite a bit of pain now. (Burning and stinging with every wee, also inside the rectum) The radiologist referred him to the urologist, the urologist says it's not really his department. So he referred him to the pain clinic. The pain clinic put him on 2 lots of pain blockers which made him very sleepy but have not blocked the pain. We are at our wits end now and don't know what else to do.
I know I am not helpful telling you all this. But do your best to get it sorted as I wouldn't want anyone to get as bad as my other half. I'd love to hear if you find something that helps. We have tried 100% pure cranberry juice. He's in Tamsulosin and also tried anti inflammatories.
Good luck with it all. Try to keep on top of it.
User
Posted 06 Jan 2017 at 20:05

Sounds like prostatitis is the most likely cause

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 08 Jan 2017 at 10:37
I just spent ages typing a reply and I couldn't post it. (Mega slow internet)
I just really said that it's interesting your husband has symptoms for a few days at a time as my OH is similar. He is bad for 2 or 3 days then he gets 2 or 3 days with much milder symptoms. The stinging/burning never goes completely but does get much milder for a few days. He's much nicer to live with when he's on the milder days. The other days we all get shouted at (we have young children) so I know he's in pain. I know it's milder at the moment as I hear him whistling as he walks along the road with his wheelbarrow feeding the cattle.
I've spoken to several people on here that have had these symptoms for a few months but then they clear up. No one has had it for 2 years like my OH. Though to be fair his did clear up to start with.
Show Most Thanked Posts
User
Posted 04 Jan 2017 at 23:27

Hi Fiona,

I had very similar symptoms to your husband.

I had HDR Brachytherapy in February 2015 and it wasn't until the August - September that the side effects kicked in, one was a dull background pain, that I noticed particularly immediately after I sat down on a hard seat, and I had frequent slight fevers like I was coming down with a cold.  I also had the stinging urination pain of classic radiation cystitis which kicked in about the same time.

Urine tests at my GP showed that I was clear of urinary tract infections.

However at the next appointment with my Consultant, he immediately identified it as an infection of the prostate, which soon cleared up with some strong antibiotics he diagnosed from the hospital pharmacy.  From the way he talked it seemed he almost expected me to have the post RT infection.

He started me on Tamsulosin which helped control the urge to urinate, however the cystitis took a little longer to clear, I ate lots of fresh cranberries over the Christmas which seem to do the trick (But beware the ready-made Cranberry Juice drinks sold in supermarkets, they are mostly sugar and water, you need the real thing 100% cranberries to sort the cystitis.

:)

Dave  

User
Posted 05 Jan 2017 at 09:12

I hope your other half is feeling a bt better.

Naproxen can build up some nasty digestive side effects. I took it some years ago for arthritis.

Did the GP not also offer Omeprazole as a buffer?

Dave has the experience and knows what he's talking about. Your GP is just treating a symptom not the underlying problem.

Could you not contact your nurse (if you have one) or ring the consultant's secretary and ask for advice. Maybe, like Dave's consultant, he's just waiting to confirm it's Prostatitis

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 05 Jan 2017 at 14:44

Thanks for your advice,we have now contacted the oncology nurse who is speaking to the consultant for us today. Yes he has omeprazole as well, years ago had stomach issues so the naproxen is a concern to us! Will try the real cranberries thanks Dave.

User
Posted 05 Jan 2017 at 17:08
Hello. My other half had brachytherapy 2 years ago. He has had pain when sitting for long periods of time in the prostate area and stinging/burning when he wees since brachy. To start with they said it was prostatitis and prescribed antibiotics. At first it worked and the symptoms cleared for a few weeks, then they would come back again. More antibiotics were prescribed.
This went on for 18 months. Every urine sample came back clear. So in August this year they stopped prescribing antibiotics. Since then symptoms have just got worse and worse. He is in quite a bit of pain now. (Burning and stinging with every wee, also inside the rectum) The radiologist referred him to the urologist, the urologist says it's not really his department. So he referred him to the pain clinic. The pain clinic put him on 2 lots of pain blockers which made him very sleepy but have not blocked the pain. We are at our wits end now and don't know what else to do.
I know I am not helpful telling you all this. But do your best to get it sorted as I wouldn't want anyone to get as bad as my other half. I'd love to hear if you find something that helps. We have tried 100% pure cranberry juice. He's in Tamsulosin and also tried anti inflammatories.
Good luck with it all. Try to keep on top of it.
User
Posted 06 Jan 2017 at 20:03

Thanks for your post,the oncology nurse contacted us today having spoken to the oncologist and a urologist ,there seems to be a divided opinion,the oncologist saying it isn't due to the radiotherapy and no point in the naproxen as it must be an infection. The urologist said he needs to be seen if has the pain again so the nurse will contact us after the weekend,all so confusing. 2 days again since last pain,but this has been the pattern!!Thanks for support,will certainly keep you posted.

User
Posted 06 Jan 2017 at 20:05

Sounds like prostatitis is the most likely cause

"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 07 Jan 2017 at 17:05

Have to say this is what it seems like to me after reading about it, i understand it can be hard to treat!

User
Posted 08 Jan 2017 at 10:37
I just spent ages typing a reply and I couldn't post it. (Mega slow internet)
I just really said that it's interesting your husband has symptoms for a few days at a time as my OH is similar. He is bad for 2 or 3 days then he gets 2 or 3 days with much milder symptoms. The stinging/burning never goes completely but does get much milder for a few days. He's much nicer to live with when he's on the milder days. The other days we all get shouted at (we have young children) so I know he's in pain. I know it's milder at the moment as I hear him whistling as he walks along the road with his wheelbarrow feeding the cattle.
I've spoken to several people on here that have had these symptoms for a few months but then they clear up. No one has had it for 2 years like my OH. Though to be fair his did clear up to start with.
User
Posted 13 Jan 2017 at 19:54

Hello,after a week on naproxen with no pain or other symptoms my oh had to try without the pain relief as instructed by gp,within a matter of hours the pain was back although not so bad as before.we contacted the oncology nurse and went to see urologist yesterday,a lovely consultant who did a thorough exam and history of the problems. She came to the conclusion that there was no infection present and that it wzs due to the ongoing effects of radiation..our gp has now advised we go back to onco nrse for more advice,this time from oncologist,problem is she has already said its not due to radiotherapy,anyway we are going to contact again after weekend.No pain now for nearly 2 days butonly have the naproxen to fall back on,anyone have any tips for relieving this type of pain?