Notification

Error

Dad just diagnosed yesterday

User
Posted 17 Jan 2017 at 13:10

Hi

My dad was diagnosed yesterday.

He was given a score of 5+4

He isn't a very healthy man to start with, he has diabetes, arthritis and a pacemaker, also smokes around 40 rollups a day

before his biopsy his PSA score had jumped from 4 at his last test to 17

He has started hormone tablets yesterday and was told he has to take them for at least 3 months before any further treatment.

His bone scan is booked for Thursday.

Any advise I can be given would be much appreciated, my dad is a very stoic man, he never shows emotion to myself or my sister, my brother is currently living with him and we are more worried than my dad.

User
Posted 17 Jan 2017 at 18:09

Hello Claire and welcome to the site.

The HT is designed to shrink the tumour before further treatment is offered.

If you go to Publications on this site you can download The Toolkit which is information on the various treatments and side effects.

Studying it, you may find it will help you as a family to sort out what questions you want to ask next time dad sees a consultant. Does he let one of you go with him. We do suggest it because there is a lot to take in and two pairs of ears are more helpful than one. Likewise, make physical notes of the questions and write down the gist of the answers.

I expect other people will be along with their advice too. Try not to worry too much. There is much that can be done these days.

Best Wishes

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails