I'm interested in conversations about and I want to talk about
Know exactly what you want?
Show search

Notification

Error

Dad has been diagnosed

User
Posted 31 Jan 2017 at 13:52

Hi, My Dad was diagnosed yesterday with Prostate Cancer. His PSA level was 144 and they told us yesterday that his gleason score is 9 which they said is high grade. They will be arranging a bone scan this week or next week to check if it has spread there. Once he has had this he will see a Consultant to discuss treatment.

I am just wondering if there is anyone else here with a similar diagnosis and what treatment they were given ect.

Many Thanks

User
Posted 31 Jan 2017 at 14:17

Hello Tracey and welcome to the site.

We have many on here with high Gleason but although dad's PSA is extremely high it isn't the highest on here (look up Trevor Booth 13,000) so I hope that gives you some encouragement.

Treatment choices are going to be limited for him but there will be treatment available.

If you go to Publications and download the Toolkit, you will see what I mean. It is full of information. There are also the nurses on this site who can and will give their help during their opening times.

There will be replies I'm sure so hang in there and try not to worry (easier said than done)

The Toolkit may well give you and your dad some ideas of questions to ask at his next appointment. Get him to write them down beforehand and try and write down the answers as there is a lot to take in at these meetings.

Best Wishes

Sandra

We can't control the winds - but we can adjust our sails
User
Posted 31 Jan 2017 at 14:20

Hi, thanks for you quick reply. Yes they said that the treatment options will be limited but something will be available. They said that they took 10 biopsies and it showed in all 10 as it is right the way around the prostate. 

User
Posted 01 Feb 2017 at 07:55

Hi my OH was diagnosed approx 13 months ago same Gleason 4+5 [9] but with a
PSA of 23 ,his treatment has been hormone therapy ,tablets first month then injections every 3 months .He didn't start any until all the scans results were in to make sure they got a true picture of spread ,which had gone into lymph nodes.
He then went on to have 6 sessions of chemo which were every 3 weeks .Gary was lucky that he had very few side effects and was able to work all the way through treatment ,just at a slower pace .his PSA Dropped to 0.001 undetectable in quite a short time ,he is now on the stampede trial arm j which has kept PSA low but he does feel a lot more fatigued .garys still working and we're enjoying our new / differant life .hopefully your dads treatment will be as effective .
Trust your doctors they will only want what's best but ask as many questions as you can ,
Good luck
Debby

User
Posted 01 Feb 2017 at 08:18

Hi, Thanks for your reply and i am pleased to hear that your other half is doing well. That is good to hear that he is still able to work as well as my dad was concerned about this, as even though he is 66, he enjoys it and says it gives him a reason to get out of bed every morning.They gave my Dad the tablets to start straight away as his PSA was 144 and said what ever treatment he has they would need to shrink the prostate first anyway. They said he will start the injections in two weeks time and would have had the bone scan by then anyway. What chemotherapy was he on? Many Thanks

User
Posted 01 Feb 2017 at 17:44

Hi again ,Garys chemo was Docetaxel ,6 sessions 3 weeks apart . Quite straight forward ,put anti sickness drug through first then chemo and finally the flush ,usually only took about an hour and 15 mins . Gary was lucky as only had hair thinning on head but lost body hair ,another side effect was that a couple of days after he had muscle cramps that eased after a couple of days ( not every one gets that ) .he had to avoid certain foods eg eggs,steak and meats had to be well done .
Gary worked everyday apart from 1 day after session no6 ,again everyone has differant levels .
Hope all goes well and if you need any other info please ask
Debby

User
Posted 06 Mar 2017 at 23:27
My dads PSA was 110. His bone scan was clear, the consultant actually said "surprisingly clear". His Gleason score is 9 (high grade cancer). He also started tablets straight away and has had his first hormone injection. We know that it has spread to two lymph nodes in hips. He needs to get 3 gold seeds put in (don't know where!) and will get radiotherapy Monday to Friday for 7.5 weeks after his second injection but before his third. Chance of cure is relatively low but they are treating as to cure. had MRI today so now need to wait results of it. I can't focus on anything, I know exactly how you feel and what you are going through!