Notification

Error
<123

Focal Laser Ablation

User
Posted 03 Aug 2018 at 23:27

Originally Posted by: Online Community Member
Very interesting story.

Had never heard of FLA before, which is a bit annoying as I would maybe have been a good candidate. But too late now having gone the radical route. Don't suppose it would have been financially practical either as suspect AXA PPP would have considered it a "lifestyle choice" too.

Anyway, very happy to hear it's worked for you.

Nick

thank you Nick, I do think a summary of every possibility re treatment would be a useful addition to the toolkit provided by PCUK. easy access to full info would be preference.

only 16 months post for us with a lifetime of monitoring but no Regrets about goving this a go.. 

regards

Clare

User
Posted 08 Aug 2018 at 01:37

Just to confirm following an enquiry A’s experience following low risk Gleason 6 duagnosis

No incontinence issues

Erections as per before the procedure

PIRAD 4 down to PIRAD 2 ( 12 month scan)

PSA 3.56 down to PSA 1.44

UK consultant doing surveillance says no sign of anything suspicious on scan and has him on 4 month PSA tests

Orgasms are now dry ( was warned was case in 30% of treatment) 

User
Posted 08 Aug 2018 at 01:53
Brilliant news
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards." Soren Kierkegaard
User
Posted 08 Aug 2018 at 11:13

Hi Clare,

Very happy for you and A that result is looking good.

I agree with your penultimate post that it would be a good idea for PCUK to include all treatments used for PCa. Indeed it would be useful also if the success rates for these treatments for various stages over set times or for as long as new treatments have been provided could be tabulated. I appreciate that this could be a major task but would be helpful for men considering treatment.  As more treatments become available it becomes increasingly difficult to make a treatment decision. This is not helped by the fact that many Consultants seem to know little about some outside those they normally offer.

We know that there are variable factors that can make a particular treatment more or less suitable for individual men and as always this must be taken into account when considering options along with potential side effects and need to go outside the NHS for some treatments and all that that implies.

Edited by member 08 Aug 2018 at 11:17  | Reason: Not specified

Barry
User
Posted 08 Aug 2018 at 20:54

I agree Barry, for those who want to know everything that’s happening employing someone to do the research and keep bang up to date with everything would in my opinion be a really valuable resource. 

All the best with your journey Barry.. keep pioneering